front suspension

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unicutie

Reaction score
Hey, i have suspension issues.( Gmc van 95) creaking and squeaking, and uneven tire wear along the outside edge. It's really hard to tell by listening but I'm pretty sure it's the upper control arm bushings on both sides.

I'm thinking about just replacing all of the control arm bushings and ball joints and i wanted to crack into the collective mechanical wisdom of this forum.

I also need to do the Pittman arm and probably the front brake pads while i have the wheels off ... Also need to plan for doing the master cylinder soon so maybe I'll do the whole brake system at once ... Anyway kinda venting. Sorry there's not really a question here just general advice seeking.

From your description it does sound like control arm bushings or a dry, worn out ball joint.

I bought my one ton van with 95k on the clock and the first thing I had to do was replace all components of the front end, tie rod ends, ball joints/bushings and idler arm. It has been working well for about 45k miles now but I can tell things are starting to loosen up. My van weighs about 9700 pounds though.

I will be doing the upper control arms on my wreck. Most auto supplies have the compleat assembly, Control arm, bushings, and upper ball joint. I do recommend the calipers, hoses, wheel bearings while you have the front apart. Most older vehicles need strut rod bushings as well.

With my Dodge I can buy the entire upper control arm, with bushing and ball joint already in place, for a very fair price. Not much more than just buying the ball joint in fact. Anyway, to replace the entire unit is so much easier than replacing the individual parts - just 3 bolts once the wheel is off.

And yes, since you will have the wheels off, you may as well tidy up those brake pads/rotors and maybe even replace the wheel bearings (since they are easy and cheap)

Yep, the front brake hoses do need to be changed on occasion. I had a caliper start sticking on the way down a mountain. Made an interesting ride down (not). Interesting to jab the brake to burn off speed on and off like I normally do and fight the wheel to keep from running off the road. Replaced both hoses to clear the problem and prevent the next on the other side.

The upper bushings are the toughest job to do on that van.
Flexi hoses come apart inside and can become a one-way valve more often than most people realize.
Worse in ultra hot and dry areas.

Make sure you dont beat on the steering box.
Rent or buy a puller.
If it is leaking, seeping or the bottom shaft has any play in it...make sure you take care of it.
The idler arm usually accounts for 60% of the play in that era GM front end and can be had for under 35 dollars.
WD40 followed up with spray grease will often cure the squeaking. Pry the bushing with a punch and put the plastic spray hose right in there for best penetration.