From RoadTrek to Transit Connect

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leef

Reaction score
For the last 3 years prior to this year, I’ve been wandering around the country in a RoadTrek 170. It’s a small RV van, having everything larger RVs have, including refrigerator, range, generator, air conditioner, hot water heater, furnace, shower, and toilet.

Over time, I found my use of the conveniences in the RoadTrek diminished, and some I did not use at all.  The Roadtrek was great at National Parks, and I had very few problems with stealth overnighting in the cities.  But I felt like something smaller might work even better.

So I decided I would get an ugly 2013 Transit Connect and build out the interior myself.  I converted my condo into a woodworking shop for a few weeks, and endured sawdust in my socks, up my nose, and in my hair.

I considered this an experiment.  If it worked I would sell my Roadtrek.  If it didn’t, I would break down and have a good cry.

I built it out for long term use, with storage cabinets on each side of the centered bed, and more storage under the bed.  The bed is made of two small cushions and two large cushions, with plywood bottoms loosely resting on rails on each side.  This allows me to easily convert from seating to sleeping, and to get to the storage under the bed.

I didn’t want to take my road bike on an outside rack, so I built a “garage” inside for my Brompton foldable bicycle.

There’s a place to prepare food, and room for a Yeti cooler.  I put up blackout front curtains, and adjustable blackout material for the rest of the windows.

Although there is no shower, I can clean myself inside if necessary – but that’s what my Planet Fitness membership is for.  They are everywhere.  And yes, I can do the necessities inside if I have to.

The disadvantages are that I can’t stand up without hunching, and I don’t have all the conveniences.  But since everything inside is within easy reach, I don’t really need to stand up and move around inside.

There are many more advantages.  I only need one vehicle now, and so I pay for maintenance, insurance and license renewal once.  I can park in a standard 7” parking deck.  I come under almost all the height-based parking restrictions out west.  The carbon footprint is less, as the fuel cost is a little over 1/2. I don’t need to find a level parking place to accommodate an RV refrigerator.  I don’t have to winterize. U-turns and parallel parking are a breeze. I can take it through a car wash.  I can get a tent spot at a campground, which is generally prohibited if you are in an RV.

I’m on my third week on the road in the Transit Connect, and I’m loving my new home-on-wheels.  The experiment worked.

Yes, please post some photos of your rig! I've been using and loving my 2010 Transit Connect for almost 2 years now, and for a lot of the same reasons you mention.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Selling the Roadtrek????????
Maxine , are you reading this ???

I took some photos after the build out and before the provisioning, but they didn't turn out well. I'll try again.

Put some details pics and price on the trading post section of the forum.
Lots here looking for a rig right now.

UGLY??? LOL...it is an acquired taste. I've driven one for 3 years now...not converted it yet.

BobBski, it s growing on me.

Rvpopeye, I'll do that eventually, after I get back to home base and spiff it up a bit. I'm a few weeks away from officially putting it up for sale. In the mean time, here are some pictures I saved when off the web when I bought it. http://photos.gregfuller.com/Other/Roadtrek-170/

Nice!  A 170 on a Chevy chassis!  :cool:

I really like the Roadtrek, but I see a lot of wasted space in there and a few too many expensive RV parts to replace when they break/fail.  
What kind of mpg were you getting with that rig?  

Looks like Sunshine State RV's sells nothing but Roadtrek.  

I'll admit, though, the idea of firing up the generator and popping my dinner in the microwave does sound pretty appealing.  :p

BigT, my highest mpg was 19.5, but I typically get 16-17 on the highway and 11-13 in the city.

What do you use for air conditioning in the Transit connect?
Thanks

Mobilesport said:
What do you use for air conditioning in the Transit connect?
Thanks

I generally chase 70F.  This year I've stayed in Miami, Charleston, Asheville, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, Santa Monica, and I"m now in San Diego.  

I haven't really needed air except for a couple of times for really short periods during the day.  I just run the auto air.  My research seemed to indicate that idling doesn't damage the newer vehicles, and if I remember correctly, it uses about 1/2 gallon per hour of gas.  At any rate, I don't think I've ever idled over 15 minutes.

HTH, --Greg

I was wondering about idle...  and just how long it would take to cool the van down to make it livable and for how long it would stay that way.

There is a clause on the Transit Van that it is not intended for long idles.

DrJean said:
I was wondering about idle...  and just how long it would take to cool the van down to make it livable and for how long it would stay that way.

There is a clause on the Transit Van that it is not intended for long idles.

I don't know for , as I've only used it for 15 minutes or less.  But it cools down very quickly, and won't stay cool long at all.  Long idling is just not a requirement for me because I chase 70F. 

I don't let it idle long, so I'm not worried about engine damage.  I don't know if this makes a difference for idling, but this is a Transit Connect, not a Transit.

leef said:
I don't know for , as I've only used it for 15 minutes or less.  But it cools down very quickly, and won't stay cool long at all.  Long idling is just not a requirement for me because I chase 70F. 

I don't let it idle long, so I'm not worried about engine damage.  I don't know if this makes a difference for idling, but this is a Transit Connect, not a Transit.

Maybe its just for the Turbocharged Transit?

I like the chasin' 70 part even though you guys think I'm luxuriarating in my camper NO ac just got my blood used to central Cali. Been here 60 years now does that make me old? lol

leef said:
I generally chase 70F.  This year I've stayed in Miami, Charleston, Asheville, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, Santa Monica, and I"m now in San Diego.  

I haven't really needed air except for a couple of times for really short periods during the day.  I just run the auto air.  My research seemed to indicate that idling doesn't damage the newer vehicles, and if I remember correctly, it uses about 1/2 gallon per hour of gas.  At any rate, I don't think I've ever idled over 15 minutes.

HTH, --Greg

Where did you read that it takes 1/2 gallon per hour when idling?  I think that estimate is waaaaay off.  I think there may be a thread around here somewhere that discusses it.  
When I did a Google search on the topic, I found vastly different numbers.  Smaller usage amounts.  

A half gallon per hour seems like much too high a number given the engine isn't under any serious load just running the AC.

wagoneer said:
I like the chasin' 70 part even though you guys think I'm luxuriarating in my camper NO ac just got my blood used to central Cali. Been here 60 years now does that make me old? lol

Not if you have been camping since you were 2 ;)

I did another search on fuel efficiency while idling and found this.  

https://www.quora.com/How-much-gas-does-a-car-burn-per-hour-while-idling

Let's assume a 2L engine, idling at 700 rpm, and throttled to 25% of outside air pressure, which is what I have found typical in an idling engine.

The amount of fuel consumed depends on the amount of air consumed. The amount of air consumed is going to depend on:

Engine displacement (2L)
Engine speed (700 rpm, which is 350 cycles/min for a 4-stroke)
Volumetric efficiency - how efficiently the engine exchanges air
Manifold air pressure - how much is the engine being throttled?

For the sake of argument, let's assume the volumetric efficiency is 100%.
Let's also assume the engine is running at sea level on a standard 15C day, so the manifold air pressure is equivalent to the air density at sea level * 25% (because it's throttled to idle)

Air consumed will be:

displacement * cycles * volumetric efficiency * manifold air pressure

2L = 0.002 m^3
Air density is 1.225 kg/m^3 * 0.25

This gives us:

0.002 m^3 * 350/min * 100% * 1.225 kg/m^3 * 0.25

= 0.214 kg/min

Fuel used would be 1/15 of that (actually 1/14.7 in stoichiometric conditions), or 0.0143 kg/min

at 719.7 kg/m^3, that works out to 0.02 L/min

0.02 L/min is 1.2 L/hr, or 0.32 gal/hr

Latest posts