Fridge vs Yeti

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ackidge

Reaction score
I have a dometic fridge on order & have been waiting 6 weeks for it.  Beyond frustrating waiting for this.  I am not a full time van dweller.  Just converting a Ford Transit to a small RV for myself.  10 day road trips at the longest.  I am wondering if I should just give up on the fridge idea & go with a Yeti cooler.  I was hoping to avoid dealing with ice, but at this point I need something.  What are people's experiences with Yeti......do they really keep ice from melting for days?  Seems like this might be my best option.  And cheaper too.

I own a ARB reefer I travel months at a time.    It all depend what and where you are going to go.   I used to used a YETI before but at 130F temp in the desert your ice is not going to hold for days and that is if you can find ice anywhere.    In some remote areas such as in Hite Utah the 4 lbs bag of ice was over $4.   I like my reefer a lot I can keep milk , salad even left over    So in my unprofessional opinion and in my specific case I would prefer the reefer.    If just going to be a 10 days trip and you are not going to used for most of the year. any cooler would do.

Attachments

• 11887990_10204657244976274_857396200997990691_n.jpg
    11887990_10204657244976274_857396200997990691_n.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 38
  • WP_20160528_20_26_19_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160528_20_26_19_Pro.jpg
    532.1 KB · Views: 33
  • WP_20160526_21_17_12_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160526_21_17_12_Pro.jpg
    485.6 KB · Views: 38
Neighbors use Yeti when hunting in Fla.  They claim it lasts about 5 days.

I am in New England. SO yes hot in August, but not out in the desert & away from civilization for days at a time. So torn with the decision!

an ice chest would work for you. but don't get stuck on a Yeti. they are good and expensive. so if you add the cost of the ice chest and ice every time you use it, plus factor in any special trips for ice. how long until you are at the price of a 12v refrigerator. there have been test done on the extreme coolers and they usually throw in a coleman or igloo marine cooler, and they perform almost as well and better than some. so I say, if you do decide to go with an ice chest do your homework find those comparison tests. one was posted on here not to long ago and make a smart buy. highdesertranger

Gahh!! I have a nice 6.3 Cu ft Norcold 641.3 sitting in my warehouse. 3 way. Bought for my motorhome, installed it and then blew the engine and then took it out when I sold the MH so only used one time. Anyone interested? I paid $1,350 for the damn thing including shipping. I'll take any reasonable offer.

078.JPG

My current Ad

Buying a Yeti is like setting your hard earned money on fire, gone for no good reason at all. A Yeti is a TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY!!!!!!!!

Buy a good 5 day cooler and a sheet of polyiso and wrap it around the cooler and it will keep ice twice as good as a Yeti, and save you $400.
Bob

I often visit bear country and I have a small Dometic (older one) and a small Yeti buy 2 gallon water freeze it in the Dometic and use it in the yeti I have 2 locks keyed the same and use them on the Yeti, YES they are overpriced but handled in a correct way more than adequate, very robust and tucked away locked bear proof but if your not in bear country a lot get a steel belted chest and wrap it.

I believe this was rated better than the YETI and several others :
41ifhgDrX2L._SX425_.jpg   Coleman Extreme Cooler

Attachments

• 41ifhgDrX2L._SX425_.jpg
    41ifhgDrX2L._SX425_.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 17
I'm using a cooler (comparable to the Yeti) I miss my fridge and as soon as I get solar installed I'll have a fridge.

I like going to town as little as possible. Using a cooler means I have to get ice from somewhere at least once a week. If I have a fridge I can go at least 2 weeks, if not longer. That means I'm saving on gas and there's less of a chance of me impulse shopping and the cost of ice adds up quickly.

Also getting a cooler means I need to get something larger than I might need to make sure I have room for the ice in there.  But then not having to deal with the electrical aspects of a fridge.   If my fridge that I have on order was here I wouldn't be having second thoughts.  But I ordered it April 22 & here we are in June.......

I have nightmares about a cooler full of food and no store carrying block ice, and driving all around looking for it.

It's like one of those nighttime dreams in childhood where you find yourself naked in school and wake up so relieved that it was just a dream.

When my previous fridge failed and I went back to a cooler and ice for 3 weeks before the new fridge arrived, That nightmare was reality.

I have a Yeti and love it. I also got it for a really good price at an estate sale ($20). They are extremely high quality, bear proof and approved if that's a needed requirement for you, and do hold ice for a decent amount of time if you're not opening and closing it constantly. All that being said, I'd take a 12 volt model over it any day of the week. Even for short weekend trips, i'd rather not deal with ice and the planning/preparation required to prevent soggy food. I've done some canoe trips where power is not an option though and not another cooler out there i'd rather have with me. If this one were to disappear for whatever reason, I can see myself replacing it, although probably with one of the half price knock off's that look identical and if I did a little research, i'm confident i'll find they come from the same Chinese factory.

if I ran across one for 20 bucks I would buy it too. but there is no way in h*ll I would pay retail or anything close to that. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
if I ran across one for 20 bucks I would buy it too.  but there is no way in h*ll I would pay retail or anything close to that.   highdesertranger

In all honesty, even though I only paid $20 for it, it probably cost me close to retail.  Few years back when I was first becoming disabled as the disease progressed, I couldn't work but I couldn't sit still either.  Started going to auctions and estate sales almost every day of the week all over New England chasing down the elusive "good deal"  Bought a few things over the course of 6-8 months but for the most part is ended up being wasted time and energy and gas money.  Was glad I stumbled across the Yeti though.  Those estate sales can be interesting, lots of items for pennies on the dollar but mostly house hold goods that I didn't need.  I've heard the companies that run them pick out the good stuff before they let the public in and from what I experienced I tend to believe it.