Fridge / freezer what to buy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we are still trying to help the OP, then remember the products and their prices offered in Australia will be different.<br><br>If we are just posting possible options for others in North America reading this thread,<br><br>Absorption fridges take much longer to freeze items, and work best when burning a fossil fuel, &nbsp;They might not be able to maintain safe temperatures in hot climates. &nbsp;They are susceptible&nbsp;to damage operated off level. &nbsp;They require dedicated venting so by products of combustion do not enter living quarters.<br>They are mostly silent. Newer Absorption units require battery power to power the circuit board in addition to the fossil fuel to power the cooling unit. &nbsp;Some of these require as much in one hour as a compressor fridge requires to keep things cold for 2.<br><br>&nbsp;AC/DC Compressor fridges can quickly remove heat from items placed within but battery capacity, and their recharging must be accounted for properly. &nbsp;They make noise, and vibration, and these levels vary widely among available brands. &nbsp;With sufficient Solar, and enough sunlight, one never need worry about running out of propane or other fossil fuel.<br><br>The cooling unit on compressor fridges needs to be ventilated, but not to the exterior. &nbsp;The best way to insure maximum efficiency and minimum battery consumption of a compressor fridge is adequate heat removal by the cooling unit.<br><br><br>Willy, good to hear about your Danfoss powered Waeco working so well for so long. &nbsp;While you get what you pay for, if prices have been dropping, it might be because cheaper versions of Danfoss compressors might be being manufactured in China and finding their way into products which developed a good reputation, and now are cashing in on good reputations for maximum profit and executive bonuses. &nbsp;A pessimistic view no doubt but I have observed little as of late that counteracts this trend.<br><br>The Waeco compressor coming in new models, at least in OZ, &nbsp;is made in China. &nbsp;Have a look: &nbsp;Guangshu xxx LTD<br>
CFX-Compressor_Supplied_2012-JCN.jpg
<br><br>They appear so similar to a Danfoss, one can hope they are a quality clone, but only time will tell.<br><br>I could have acquired a Danfoss powered Chinese assembled version of my fridge, but spent 100$ more for the Italian assembled version. &nbsp;<br><br>The you tube Video of the Edgestar, the compressor appeared to be another Chinese Danfoss clone. &nbsp;I personally wouldn't trust it, and the reports of getting it serviced are downright scary.<br><br><br>

Unfortunately, these days everything seems to be made in China. Australia seems to have a decent selection of compressor style fridges, judging from what I've read on various forums. The compressor style (Waeco, Engel, etc.) seems to be the popular choice. I did a lot of studying before I bought mine and happened on a killer deal on Craigslist (brand new $450). I haven't regretted it and have enjoyed not having to concern myself with leveling, power, propane. I just fire stuff in it and forget about it. Seeing as it basically runs off solar, I generally have the same peace of mind as if it were to be plugged into mains power.<br><br>&nbsp;Here's something to&nbsp; check out:&nbsp; http://www.dometic.com/enie/International/Site/Caravan/Coolboxes-Freezers/&nbsp; Now, a ways down tye page is the CF-50, and it's basically a Waeco cooler.. exactly like mine.&nbsp; Now, check THIS out &nbsp;&nbsp; http://www.amazon.com/Dometic-CF-03...;sr=1-2-catcorr&amp;keywords=CoolFreeze+CF-50 Looks like Dometic DID buy Waeco.

I have done research and found that Waeco is really the way to go in Oz. Also, looked like I have a freezer for free. My grandfather doesn't need his anymore... Rest her soul, my grandmother passed away in August last year.

Not me, all electric. I doubt that many people would, seeing the set up of houses and how that a gas fridge in my imagination would take an installation of an extra gas fitting.

truckfridge.com<br><br>im considering the TF130 for my van.&nbsp; 12v only version.<br><br>i currently have an Avanti 1.7 cubic foot superconductor fridge. no compressor.<br><br>it worked extremely well since october 2011 until a week ago.<br><br>light comes on, fans come on, but no cooling on 12v or 120v.<br><br>since theres no moving parts other than the fans im at a loss for what could have failed.<br><br>it was cheap, about $200 on sale. and i thought i beat the age old battle of low voltage efficient cooling for a van.<br><br>bah...the truckfridge will be an upgrade in size and performance. the Avanti worked well but i noticed it struggled to maintain a temp delta above 40 degrees. so, 90 degrees inside the van would hammer it and it would not go lower than 50. thankfully, 90 degrees was a rarity inside.<br><br>i spoke to a tech at truckfridge and i was informed that the fridge will maintain the selected temperature inside the unit until ambient temp reached 120f. then the compressor shuts off as it has thermal protection for itself.<br><br>good enough for me.

I tested my Waeco in 85 degree heat without any other insulation. It went down to 2 degrees. I can buy frozen meat and add some dry ice when not pluged in.<br><br>James AKA Lynx

&nbsp;My WAECO fridge has a minimum temp of 2 deg C when the thermostat is set to its' lowest setting and has no problem maintaining this temp, even when blazing hot. It could potentially go much colder, but that would require some modification of the controls. The freezer section gets bluddy cold and gets stuff rock solid right quick. I've found that, set at the lowest temp, that I can pull frozen meat from the freezer section and it will stay frozen for days in the regular fridge section. <br>&nbsp;Right now I'm kinda torn cuz I also have a CF-50 cooler and that nice big freezer section kinda rocks. I also find that the duty cycle with the CF-50 is somewhat lower and it gets considerably colder for the same Watt/hrs.. but it IS a chest style unit after all. ..Willy.

With the Canadian dollar slowly swirling its way deeper into the toilet, I grabbed a Waeco off of Amazon Canada last night for $523.00 with free shipping. This may sound high, but everything here is at a premium over the States. This was actually a tremendous deal! In usual Amazon fashion, the prices change from day to day...less than 24 hours later the price is at $614.00 and liable to go higher.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0017YFDGO/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Hopefully I get some good life out of it. It has the same Danfoss compressor that goes into fridges up to 80 quarts, so hopefully it will.

I don't know the exchange, but $523 in the US would be a very good deal! That's a good size, not to big, not too small.

I have a 4 year old Waeco and they work really well. You'll be really pleased with it.
Bob

akrvbob said:
I don't know the exchange, but $523 in the US would be a very good deal! That's a good size, not to big, not too small.

I have a 4 year old Waeco and they work really well. You'll be really pleased with it.
Bob

Thank you Bob, I am happy to hear that!