Freedom is just around the corner!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello!  I can't even begin to explain how happy I was to find Bob ( and other resources ) about van/rv/road life and freedom from the grind.  

I always felt sad to go to the job I actually loved once I got there.  I felt trapped in the home I loved to live in.  And my happiest moments were outside and on a road trip.  I was confused to why I was happy and sad.  It was all the pressure of modern life.  I like feeling fulfilled in a job well done but not the commute.  I liked my home and the comforts yet hated the cost and time of maintaining it.  And I itched for the road.

So Oct 2018 I sold my home in the Bay Area and moved somewhere "cheaper" (Sacramento is not much cheaper).  Thinking this is a step to something better yet I still didn't know what.  Until I found Bob. :) 

Currently in an apartment until Oct 2019 with a lease and my 18 year old son (I'm in my late 40's).  But itching to hit the road!  I don't own the van of my freedom dreams yet but hope to get one around the same time as my lease is up and then I'm off!

I obsessively watch Bob's videos as well as other van life types and now I'll be reading and researching as much as I can to build out my van.

I'm fortunate, I work remote but that is still 9-5 (well I do 6 AM - 3 PM) so I can't complain I have no commute!!  (One rat race thing off my list, lol).  And plan to leave that when my lease is up.

I'm saving, saving, saving what I can so I can have a buffer for expenses but will need to have an income after a few months.

When I hit the road I plan on seeking as many hiking trails as I can and see the west with my trusty companion my 14 year old Brittany - Maggy.

Thanks for reading all that.  It felt good to tell my story and not have someone look at me like I'm crazy....unless that is what you're doing right now.  LOL!

Welcome to the CRVL forums Allison! Sounds like a great plan. Keep us updated!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hello Allison and welcome to the forum!

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Having an income one can do on the road makes everything a thousand times easier. :)

Welcome to the forum. I also have to be out of my place this October and have already made plans.

I am another waiting to break free from needy family. I have a 17 yr old so one more year of high school and more time to make plans. I have a minivan and watch the videos too. I hope to meet you down the road.  :)

Simple Living Allison said:
I always felt sad to go to the job I actually loved once I got there.  I felt trapped in the home I loved to live in.  And my happiest moments were outside and on a road trip.

This is soooo me. My lease ends at the end of April and as the time approaches I'm starting to feel a little nervous but very excited. I'm also lucky that I have a job I do remotely, so that helps. Cheers from a Canadian adventurer. Maybe we'll bump into each other one day! :)