Free disability National Parks pass

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimindenver

Reaction score
Today the friend that I have been traveling with was going to buy a American the beautiful park pass to reimburse me for some stuff I bought on Amazon for her. I needed it so that we could go back into the Grand Canyon and use the free dump station at the camp ground there. The first thing we learned is entrance to the National Parks is free this weekend. She was still going to get it and the ranger asked if I was a senior. I said no but I was disabled although I didn't have the form from my doctor proving it. He said what form? He had me print my name on a form and sign it saying that I was permanently disabled, gave me my pass and explained what the benefits were. My friend is also disabled awaiting to be approved for disability except she bought her pass after the RTR to go into Joshua Tree. He refunded the cost of her pass onto the card she used to purchase it with and gave her a disability pass also.

I was under the impression that I had to apply for the pass with proof from my doctor but it isn't so. It's a lifetime pass so I don't have to deal with again.

:) Is the name of your pass  Access?  If not what is it?  I got a Access pass in 2008 at the National Forest Rangers office up by Tell City IN.  If it's the same pass and nothing has changed at some parks the pass holder pays no gate fees and receives a reduced rate for sites with hook ups.  Here in AL I can use it at ACE [Army Corps of Engineer] parks at Lake Eufala and a full hook-up site is $12.  If I want to stay a month I just go up the road to another park and do 14 days there.  Happy Camping   :D

Jewellann

I had to bring in a paper proving disability. I don't recall if it was from the VA or Social Security but that was more than ten years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jewellann

It says Access Pass, has a different scene than the regular pass and the wheelchair handicap symbol. The benefits you are describing are pretty much what the ranger said, even some discounted tours.

This may vary as with our son, we had to provide a document that said he had a disability when we signed up. The park ranger at a "site" suggested it to us. Our son has Down syndrome, is now an adult and when he camps with us which is always and looking like "forever", we get 1/2 price although we are going to drive up and get our senior passes soon.

We have only used it at the Corp of Engineers for camping. He has to be in the vehicle for them to see that he is with us, they always ask. We really appreciate the discounted camping. We will need our own passes to get discounts at other types of activities.

Application: https://store.usgs.gov/pass/access_pass_application.pdf

What you have to provide as proof seems to vary depending on the Ranger. They're supposed to require written documentation, but I think some are just over it. Here's hoping the Ranger at Canaveral is over it!!

The closest thing either of us would have had at that time was the handicap placards for parking and neither of us had them hanging at the time. I had been putting it off until I returned to Colorado where such things are going to be dealt with over the summer.

jimindenver said:
The closest thing either of us would have had at that time was the handicap placards for parking and neither of us had them hanging at the time. I had been putting it off until I returned to Colorado where such things are going to be dealt with over the summer.

Same, I have a placard, but no note from the doctor.

i think when I got my Access Pass I'd requested a SSA benefits letter stating that they were disability benefits.  Now if you set up a "account" on line with SSA and have access to a printer you can request certain documents and print them or have them faxed..........I think..........Well I've slept since then  :)  Some states also have reduced fees or free fishing passes for diasbled folks or senoirs {old bats and old farts}  that's what I call the the designated apt. area  "Elderly and Disabled" that I live in.   i figure it's O.K. as I R 1.

Jewellann

I got mine thru the mail, I just filled out a one page form and a copy of my SSI letter and it came in the mail a few weeks later. I think I remember reading you could get one at certain parks with the letter, but i'm sure it's up to the Ranger's on how strict they want to be.  

I'll attach a pic of mine

Attachments

• National Parks Pass.jpg
    National Parks Pass.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 7
I got mine by showing my Medicare card and my drivers license. If you are under age 65 and have a Medicare card you are disabled. That was all the proof of disability I needed.

I get 50% off at USFS and USDA campsites with it, as well as all the other benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travlinman and wife said:
All I did was show my va disability card and I am not 100% disabled .

I don't think you have to be 100% disabled, just disabled. (I think both physical and mental disabilities qualifies you if I remember correctly)  Although, i'm not sure what 100% disabled is defined as.  I certainly wouldn't classify myself as 100% disabled.