Four Wheel Trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedhighway46

Reaction score
Hello Tribe:

On another thread today a picture was posted of a four wheel, verses two wheel, utility trailer. Didn't want to hijack that topic so I started this one. I have often wondered about the potential of using a four wheel trailer for utility/camping applications.

My perceived advantages would be: greater weight capacity; able to unhitch and stand alone without having to bother with a tongue jack; "maybe" easier to push around and re-hitch; looks pretty cool, too. There are more, I am sure.

Disadvantages? Here's the beginning of my "downside" list: Probably greater effect on fuel mileage due to four footprints instead of two; higher purchase cost due to the rarity of this style trailer and higher build cost; maybe higher theft loss potential (for the same reasons as just stated); greater difficulty in backing. More thoughts . . . 

And here is my PRIMARY concern for this style trailer . . . TRACKING. You see four wheel farm grain trailers pulled by a tractor fishtailing all over the road. Is this symptomatic of the trailer or the farmer driving the tractor? But, on the positive side, you see "B Train" semi rigs (pulling dual 28 ft pup trailers) going down the freeway at 75 mph which are tracking just fine.

Any definitive information on four wheel trailer tracking?

Thoughts or comments on this subject . . .

Re-reading this post, I need to clarify  . . .

"Four wheel trailer": where the wheels/tires are at the front and rear corners of the box. NOT a dual axle trailer where both axles are adjoining, centered in the midpoint of the box, typical of most all four wheeled utility trailers.

I see them in the mountains of Colorado. There are a couple companies that make them I think in Utah. The ones I know of are modern day sheep wagons and they have all the amenities of an RV, but on a simpler scale. And I think a little better built. They are a little more difficult to back, but like anything, it's a learned skill. I really like them, but I also have a thing for sheep wagons old and new. The only draw back I can think of is I bet they tend to wander behind the tow vehicle in cross winds or when making evasive moves in an emergency situation. This is even an issue with double and triple semi trailers using converter dollies - basically the same set up.

I know that the weight distributing part of the anti-sway WD hitch won't be needed with farm-wagon running gear...and most of those have a single draw-bar. 

And I would think that a hydraulic steering stabilizer mounted to the undercarriage might help with front end sway. 

But this is just napkin engineering...I have no first hand experience doing that.

speedhighway46 said:
Hello Tribe:

On another thread today a picture was posted of a four wheel, verses two wheel, utility trailer. Didn't want to hijack that topic so I started this one. I have often wondered about the potential of using a four wheel trailer for utility/camping applications.

My perceived advantages would be: greater weight capacity; able to unhitch and stand alone without having to bother with a tongue jack; "maybe" easier to push around and re-hitch; looks pretty cool, too. There are more, I am sure.

Disadvantages? Here's the beginning of my "downside" list: Probably greater effect on fuel mileage due to four footprints instead of two; higher purchase cost due to the rarity of this style trailer and higher build cost; maybe higher theft loss potential (for the same reasons as just stated); greater difficulty in backing. More thoughts . . . 

And here is my PRIMARY concern for this style trailer . . . TRACKING. You see four wheel farm grain trailers pulled by a tractor fishtailing all over the road. Is this symptomatic of the trailer or the farmer driving the tractor? But, on the positive side, you see "B Train" semi rigs (pulling dual 28 ft pup trailers) going down the freeway at 75 mph which are tracking just fine.

Any definitive information on four wheel trailer tracking?

Thoughts or comments on this subject . . .

i have pulled just about everything there is including 4 wheel farm grain trailers, and yes they pull like crap!