Fort McMurray

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flying kurbmaster said:
I am not sure the focus should be whether the US media picked this up or not, no point in getting a resentment about that, this thread should be about the fire. Even if it was on all news all over the world, would that make it any better for those involved. It is very early for forest fires, isn't there a threat that it may reach the oil sands, can' t imagine what kind of catastrophe that would be if they started burning, not only for the local residents but also for the Canadian economy and the planet environmentally.
Feel free to focus on whatever fits your model of the world Kurby.

Personally, I reserve the right to get bent out of shape over whatever touches my heart. This has!!!

It's actually not possible for the oil sands to catch fire...*insert expletives*!

Sent from my Z850 using Tapatalk

Hoping for the best for our northern neighbors.I think there may be a lot of tent dwellers in Alberta for the next couple of years.

Bob Dickerson said:
Hoping for the best for our northern neighbors.I think there may be a lot of tent dwellers in Alberta for the next couple of years.
Thanks for the good wishes Bob, its still hell up there today. Tents aren't an option North of 56° L for more than a very short spell. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 6,000+ will have nothing at all to go back to. Many will rebuild.

It just a heartbreaking thing!

Hippiechk:

Just noticed that the AP news feed has finally gotten around to covering this event with the importance it requires: it's their top story right now.

Getting control of the fire is still a ways away; AP reported that the fire will more than likely double in size before it is put out.

A devistating event . . .

Us Media is horrible no doubt. I could go on a rant about their covering feel good human interest stories while not reporting about actual world events, but nothing will change. It's all about advertising dollars, and populace thought manipulation, and the lack of any journalistic honor, and the purveying of Big pharmaceutical commercials.

Disgusting on each and every level.

The fire is indeed huge and affecting many, but most can't be bothered to get off their smartphones and stop taking selfies.

It is a sad statement to our society where "people" know more about Kim Kardashian's ass than they know about world events.

I second that Amen !

I'm sending prayers and will make donation to red cross. I remember when Los Alamos burned all those years ago ... Devastating.

Justin credible on YouTube has a couple good links for contributions and is posting pretty regularly on the fires.

Thanks folks...I knew there was human life here!

Every time I check the news it just gets worse. Now they have the first responders camp under an evac order. This damn thing is somewhere around 500 square miles in size.

The forecast is for light rain...that is even scarier for the fighters. It doesn't help, it doesn't reach the ground even... it adds steam to the smoke.

Damn...just damn!!

VJG1977 said:
I use this site for Canadian news.  CNEWS  

If you wish to make a donation to the Canadian Red Cross to help the evacuees, Donate to the Alberta Fires Appeal
Thanks for posting that! Here in Canada we can just send a text to donate $5.

Our Federal government is matching all private donations to the Red Cross fund for this fire.

d3ba4b47d1cbee0b3e8c5a98a882f22e.jpg

This isn't just 'fire season'!

A major city was engulfed with only minutes of warning. Tens of thousands of pets had to be left behind...

20,000 school aged children must walk into strange schools tomorrow morning...

Latest posts