Fort McMurray

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hippiechk

Reaction score
Oh My God!!

Canada has a national disaster... a horrific forrest fire is still raging out of control. 80,000+ people have been displaced... $9 BILLION in damages, so far...

Those are only the human costs, millions of wildlife are dead & millions more displaced...

Its just aweful *tears!!

IMG_20160506_125945.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160506_125945.jpg
    IMG_20160506_125945.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 17
2d8c1f024a573deedadaf6c87cad0660.jpg

Sent from my Z850 using Tapatalk

Friend of mine, her family has lost everything. Our (US) media is treating as a sidebar. Those poor families.

I am so, so very angry at the US media right now. Its this big!!

0afb615a755e0755eb54c1ce3450ad10.jpg

[Mod moved from "What is outside your door" thread]

I will probably be looking for new friends after this disaster!!

The average American could care less what happens here unless they want something or think they are moving in?

ABC (& others) did a piece, NASA released pics, its NOT a secret!!!

Not sexy enough or faux controversial enough for our media. So embarrassing, sorry.

Actually 2 have died in an auto accident evacuating. Many thousands have had to seek medical attention directly related to the fire...asthma, BP, dehydration, fatigue...anxiety!

There is no silver lining. The vast majority of people will recover from this...many lives won't.

The fire isn't out...

Meanwhile here in BC, closing off the Alaska highway so this should interest a few! We have over 20 times the normal number of hectares burning for this time of year...

I don't understand, why are you angry at US media ? Awesome Inch was saying that the fire, at that point, hadn't taken lives. A terrible situation for sure, one the US finds itself in every summer.

Forest fires are a major issue in the west. 8 million acres burned last year in the US. 8 million acres !!!

[Mod moved from "What is outside your door" thread]

gsfish said:
I must have missed something. NASA pictures? ABC? Not a secret? What's going on?

I'm still in a stationary abode, is a picture outside my door allowed?

Guy
Pictures are still great! I am really pissy & hijacked my own thread. There are huge fires in Canada, worst disaster in out history. Not getting any US airtime & pissing me off...it's a different thread.

I'm not sure about no coverage--- I've been reading stories and viewing photos and videos on CNN for days now. Two days, it was the top of the CNN front page. Maybe you are looking at the wrong media?

Anyone who has lived out West understands the magnitude and seriousness from the drought-worsened wildfires down here for the last few years.

So sorry for ALL the types of losses. From the videos, some of the evacuations were forced in minutes... I think I would have been out of the area way before the authorities made me leave from the pics I've seen. Horrible.

Just watched a video one couple posted, they had a security camera feed they could access from their phone so they watched their home burn as they evacuated. Heartbreaking.

WriterMs said:
I'm not sure about no coverage--- I've been reading stories and viewing photos and videos on CNN for days now. Two days, it was the top of the CNN front page. Maybe you are looking at the wrong media?

Anyone who has lived out West understands the magnitude and seriousness from the drought-worsened wildfires down here for the last few years.

So sorry for ALL the types of losses. From the videos, some of the evacuations were forced in minutes... I think I would have been out of the area way before the authorities made me leave from the pics I've seen. Horrible.
It's not so much my looking as I have no TV, is CNN that all news one?

That evacuation is still happening as thousands were trapped north of the fire where they fled as south was cut off & that is the end of north for roads there. Fires here in BC closed the Alaska highway & a major city is under alert & surrounded by an evacuation zone...

It's just wayyyy too early in the season...20 times the number of hectares involved as a normal year. Last year it was this whole southern section & Washington that took it really hard.

I know people who lived there, just about to retire & have found out they lost everything & couldn't find a pet when leaving.

Hippiechk said:
It's not so much my looking as I have no TV, is CNN that all news one?

That evacuation is still happening as thousands were trapped north of the fire where they fled as south was cut off & that is the end of north for roads there. Fires here in BC closed the Alaska highway & a major city is under alert & surrounded by an evacuation zone...

Yes, CNN is all news 24 hours a day on cable -- a major news source. They have print stories as well as video, photos and even some live feeds on their website.

At the top of the website today (or at least all of midday) was info and shots of the 1,500=vehicle evacuation line. They evidently set up temporary fuel stops along the way so that vehicles did not run out of gas and clog the movement. Helicopters flew at each stage to watch for danger of approaching fires along the route.

Queen said:
Just watched a video one couple posted, they had a security camera feed they could access from their phone so they watched their home burn as they evacuated. Heartbreaking.
2 years ago I was evacuated in Washington & lost a big camper & my motorcycle...I left in the truck so saved it.

Last year evacuated twice, spent 2 months living in a smokey hell in this valley in my bus. Couldn't see across the street many days.

I am twitchy!!

WriterMs said:
Yes, CNN is all news 24 hours a day on cable -- a major news source. They have print stories as well as video, photos and even some live feeds on their website.

At the top of the website today (or at least all of midday) was info and shots of the 1,500=vehicle evacuation line. They evidently set up temporary fuel stops along the way so that vehicles did not run out of gas and clog the movement. Helicopters flew at each stage to watch for danger of approaching fires along the route.
I don't know if they all got through, hope so, the stopped the convoys at about 6pm as its too dangerous again.

They expect the fire to double in size overnight!!

I don't use that CNN news site, I should check it out someday. I am more likely to read bulletins from newspapers after grabbing headlines. & I am guilty of missing a LOT of stuff but we just had 80,000 people indefinitely displaced & lots lost everything. Internal refugees...

Queen nailed it, this just isn't entertaining news! If a bomb had done this...

I am not sure the focus should be whether the US media picked this up or not, no point in getting a resentment about that, this thread should be about the fire. Even if it was on all news all over the world, would that make it any better for those involved. It is very early for forest fires, isn't there a threat that it may reach the oil sands, can' t imagine what kind of catastrophe that would be if they started burning, not only for the local residents but also for the Canadian economy and the planet environmentally.

Latest posts