Foreman grill?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rolloffdave

Reaction score
I was looking at a foreman grill does anyone recommend it for van dwelling?

I'm thinking about escaping WI for a few months and maybe staying in my van (Urban camping) so maybe i'll probably go with the coleman propane stove. I want to be able to boil up some rice and be able to fry a steak too. I had found a foreman grill in the garage but haven't used it wanted to see if it's worth bringing along.

thanks,

Dave

Propane stove will suit you better than an electric grill. Once you have a reliable source of 120v power, then the electric grill may be better.

Most peeps on this forum will tell you to go for a propane powered grill, and certainly that's a good choice, especially versus electricity powered. For myself, I prefer a butane powered grill for its convenience and easy setup.

I had posted the same butane powered stove once before on this forum, see Amazon link below. The reason I like this over my propane stoves is because this butane stove does NOT require the additional metal pipe screwed between the stove and propane can. A small butane can is simply inserted inside the unit (instead of outside). Plus this Iwatani butane stove has an auto-start feature, so you don't need a lighter which is an added convenience.

When done cooking, simply place the butane can backwards inside the unit (to prevent accidental leakage) and you can store the butane can inside the unit. This butane unit is rated at 15,000 BTUs, so it gets quite hot. A package of 4 butane cans goes for a cheap $4.50 to $5.00 for the bundle, and you can buy these at most Asian markets or online.

http://www.amazon.com/Iwatani-Corporation-America-35FW-Portable/dp/B00522F2R2

casey be carfuleo with that butane stove if you use too big a pan in can deflect the heat an cause the gac can to explode. hapens all the time in china and korea were my wife is from so I know what I am talking about

I know a guy who uses Induction electric cooking (it uses magnetism instead of heat). But, it cooks much faster than a Foreman grill would. And he has 500 watts of solar and a big battery bank.

That's the minimum to cook with electricity and probably still not enough for a George Froeman.
Bob

Wow, that's crazy! Never heard of that. But anything is possible, I'm sure. I have a regular size 10" pan, so I should be okay. I've already used it a few times with no problems. Most of the time, if I use my stove at all which is rare, it's only to boil water in a tea kettle. I rarely cook. The last time I cooked anything was at last year's RTR event, and that was only because there were no restaurants nearby at the campsite. :p

travlinman said:
casey be carfuleo with that butane stove if you use too big a pan in can deflect the heat an cause the gac can to explode. hapens all the time in china and korea were my wife is from so I know what I am talking about

Good luck finding butane ga s cans lol . I was at the Oakland flea market and that's a big market maybe one guy had a few cans. Or go on Amazon and get wrecked , might as well buy that stove for $80 WHILE ur at it.

Tkdplayer said:
Good luck finding butane ga s cans lol .  I was at the Oakland flea market and that's a big market maybe one guy had a few cans.  Or go on Amazon and get wrecked , might as well buy that stove for $80 WHILE ur at it.

I see them often at small stores run by Orientals.

If you want to cook with 12v, buy Roadpro appliances from a truck stop. That way you do not have to worry about mailing it back to Amazon in case.

They run about $30 each for the oven, frypan, and crockpot.

I have a single 100w panel, but a large battery bank. Cooking one meal used a lot of power.

SimplyLesa would cook with fire using sticks fed as needed. She has excellent results.

Almost There said:
If you're cooking over any kind of gas, these are great to have!

They take up next to no room and work wonderfully.

I had one years ago, wonder where it went...good to know I can still get one.

http://www.amazon.com/Chefmaster-KTGR5-Smokeless-Stovetop-Barbecue/dp/B000O8YIZQ

I have one of those and also a cast iron frying pan with the ridges in the bottom, and I use both of them all of the time because I love the way they drain the grease away from your meat.

Latest posts