Ford vs. Chevy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. I would like some advice on choosing a Class B RV. My background is virtually no mechanical knowledge or skills. I mostly know to keep a vehicle maintained.  :blush: I am looking at two different vehicles, both 2008:

8 cylinder 6.8L Ford, 74,600 miles
6.0L V-8 Chevy, 33,777 miles

I have learned from a variety of people that Chevy / GMC is the brand preferred by many. However, given that the Chevy in this case is 2008 with only 33,777 miles, I’m wondering if the Ford would be a better choice because it’s been more regularly exercised. I’ve heard that sitting around is very hard on vehicles.

Another aspect to this choice is that the Ford is practically perfect in every way, layout wise. I would want to make some changes to the Chevy that would make it a lot like the Ford already is. So there’s potentially quite a bit of extra cost there. The Chevy also costs $5,000 more than the Ford.

Does anyone have thought / recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

I have a 1997 Ford class C, 6.8L, 8-9mpg average on 3000+ road trip, best of 11 at 55mph on flat.  They are thirsty beasts!  About 2004-ish onward they have problems with cam phasers, timing chain tensioners, and a weird shrouded sparkplug design that breaks off when removed.  The Ford twin I-beam steering is always going to feel sloppy and it can be a chore to drive at freeway speeds if suspension isn't exactly perfect. If they had a Chevy with a queen bed in my price/year range I would have went that way instead, better steering feel, better engine, power, mpg.  Price to change out a Chevy engine is much less should it ever need it.  My next rig will be a Chevy... Thinking I may build my own smaller class C on a Chevy base since I don't like a lot of the smaller class C floorplans myself.  Although, I see some nice sized class B/B+ in Chinook or Lexington that look doable for a remodel to my specs if I can find it on a Chevy base.  Former ASE master auto tech, California certified Bar90 smog tech, race car fabricator.  Whichever way you go, post up some pics of your new rig when you get it...

What years for each? If the 6.8 (a v10 by the way) was maintained properly, you shouldn't have to worry about plugs breaking. If you take it to a mechanic to have plugs changed, they have extraction tooling to remove any that might break, but if they are changed on schedule you probably won't have an issue. Throw a wrench and start cranking without knowing and you might break one. The 6.8 doesn't have can phasers so no issue there. The for makes a good deal more torque at much lower rpm and the 6.0 makes a little more horsepower

The 6.0 Chevy is a good engine, needs to rev to make power and that can bother some people but isn't an issue doing that all day.

I would honestly pick the one that seems to have been maintained best.

Good luck!

With gas engines the biggest issue is mileage. Always go for the lowest one possible.

That said, the early Ford V10s had problems with spark plugs due to the design. I would tend to favor the Workhorse engines.

Thank you all so much for your replies. They were really quite helpful. I'm going to inspect the vehicles today, notebook in hand. And yes, Doubleone, when I figure out how to do it I will post pictures of whatever I get.

Cheers!

Tuesdayafterlunch said:
...more regularly exercised. I’ve heard that sitting around is very hard on vehicles.

Vehicles are not made of flesh and bones that need to be used to stay in shape. They're made of metal that wears down with use. Using a vehicle is harder on it than sitting. Go for lower mileage, unless it has been sitting because it doesn't run.

I have to disagree a little with the idea vehicles are not damaged by sitting. Condensation in most of the country has consequences to raw metal parts in the form of rust. Rubber parts become hard and crack. Ultra Violet rays destroy plastics. Gravity pulls oil and grease from bearing surfaces over time. Vehicles that have sat and never been started or vehicles that did not receive regular maintenance based on time rather than miles driven can deteriorate more than ones that are heated up and driven a few miles every few days. Both can have the same miles but one that was abused and parked for several years will be in much worse shape than one that was driven on a regular basis especially if it was well maintained and driven till warmed up like on the interstate a few times a week in my opinion.

We went to a University of Michigan vehicle auction. Most of the cargo vans and box trucks only had about 25-50,000 miles. They could have been driven for a couple of years and than retired, or hopefully driven a little each week or month. We found that although they were 2008 models, they sold for around 12,000. Several were purchased by a person with a clip board, who climbed under the vehicles and did a thorough inspection. We assumed they were purchased by a company that uses Craigslist to sell vehicles. In their ads, they mention they were U of M vehicles. (That is how we found out about the auction.) We went to their lot the next weekend, and were able to test drive different brands. After test driving, and trying to walk in the cargo area, we decided we wanted a high top van.

So, all this to say the low mileage van sounds best. Scotty Kilmar a mechanic on you tube has stated in a video, low mileage is the better deal, unless you know it sat for a couple of years.

bullfrog said:
...Condensation in most of the country has consequences to raw metal parts in the form of rust.  Rubber parts become hard and crack.  Ultra Violet rays destroy plastics. 

That is true of all vehicles, driven or not.

But two vehicles, one driven about 6,700 miles a year and the other about 3,000 miles a year are not going to be that different. Given that the the national average is about 12,000/year, the case could be made that both of them haven't been driven "enough." Or that they've both lightly-driven creampuffs. The problem only comes if neither has been driven for an extended period. For all we know, the low mileage van could've been driven short distances regularly and the one with the higher mileage could've been sitting for years.

The spark plug issue on earlier Ford engines has been resolved long ago, and there are excellent aftermarket fixes for the older ones. That being said, the 6.8 V10 engine is an industrial workhorse that's hard to beat. If you're worried about gas mileage, don't get a big RV, simple. It all comes down to what you want to take with you, what creature comforts you can do without, or have to have, and this will determine what size of RV you need. The real question is, how much of your time will be actually driving? Me, I drive to where I'm going and stay awhile, then decide to change the scenery and drive to another destination. I might be in one place a day or two or three days, and I might be two or three months. It all boils down to this. If you like a Chevy, get a Chevy, if you like a Ford, get the Ford. In the end game, they are both great American made trucks, as is a Dodge, and it all goes to personal preferences. Unless your driving long distances every day to where gas cost is a problem, don't let gas millage be the determining factor. My 2cents worth.

In the vehicles you listed, I'd probably go for the Chevy as well.

This all depends on year...

Pre-1999 I'd generally go Ford over Chevy. The old Ford engines were great, such as the 302s and 351s, as were the 7.3 Diesels. Chevys are cheaper to get parts for though, so if you do your own labor they are worth considering.
Starting in 1999 with the Alero/Aurora engines, Chevy really got on their game. Those were (are) great engines. And Chevy stayed on their game for at least 10 years after that.
2000 to 2010 Ford had some issues. The 6.0 and 6.4 diesel engines had tons of problems, and their gas engines in that decade were IMO not the top either.
2011 or later Ford has been back on their game. The 6.7 diesels are great, and their gas engines are too. The Mustang derived big engines are very good, and many of their smaller engines came from Mazda. They had a collaboration with Mazda for the Ford Fusion, which is essentially a Mazda 6.

Tuesdayafterlunch said:
Hi all. I would like some advice on choosing a Class B RV. My background is virtually no mechanical knowledge or skills. I mostly know to keep a vehicle maintained.  :blush: I am looking at two different vehicles, both 2008:

8 cylinder 6.8L Ford, 74,600 miles
6.0L V-8 Chevy, 33,777 miles

Tuesdayafterlunch said:
I'm going to inspect the vehicles today, notebook in hand.

Cheers!

Did you get either of these two, or did you move on to another choice?

The Chevy engine is much more reliable, and has a lot less mileage. The V10 Ford has problems and horrible gas mileage.
The Chevy should get 12 MPG
The Ford should get 8-10 MPG