Ford vs Chevy Conversion Vans (USA)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrimpstew

Reaction score
Are there any advantages and disadvantages to getting a Ford over a Chevy, Chevy over Ford when it comes to MPG, parts, maintenance?&nbsp;<br><br>Being 6 Feet 4 Inches tall, the high top will help me I think. And I like the way the vans look, on top of having stealth capability which I will need.&nbsp;

if you ever have to line up alphabetically, like for a ferry, or gas rationing, get a chevy.

Ask what the original vehicle model&nbsp;was prior to conversion.&nbsp; I pulled the interior panels off of my ford e-150 conversion van and entered sheared-sheet-metal-hell.&nbsp; I think the original vehicle had long windows.&nbsp; This is making my plans difficult.&nbsp; If you don't plan on going that far, then it doesn't matter I supose.

I disagree Pikachu.&nbsp; G10-20-30s look better.&nbsp; But none of the newer chevys.&nbsp; Fords all the way!

over the years, i've driven both ford and chevy vans for work (vehicle years between 1999-2005). with high mileage, its my opinion that fords hold up better. at around 100,000 miles every chevy van i've driven develops some kind of transmission problem. always the same problem. when the van is cold in the morning, it will shift into first gear but not into second. it got stuck. i had to let the van warm up in neutral for a few minutes, then shift to drive and no problem. the problem still got worse over time, though. never figured out what it was, maybe an easy fix, maybe not.&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;also the chevys turned into rattle-traps with high mileage while the fords stayed solid. panels got loose and cracked/broken, controls had to be "played with" to get things to work. that being said, the chevys were much more comfortable to drive than the fords. the ride was more cushy and car-like. the fords were very stiff and any bump in the road would be felt. i got aches from driving them long distances, not so with the chevys.&nbsp;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;i also had a '96 dodge ram 2500 which was my favorite but it only had 70,000 miles on it and was like new so i can't really compare it. what a powerful van though.&nbsp;

Latest posts