Ford E350 Rear AC

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fr33dom

Reaction score
Is it possible to terminate the rear aircon on my 1997 Ford E350 but still maintaining my front AC?

I’m repairing my bed and I need to get rid of my rear AC.  Any idea how to do it is very much appreciated.

sure can, any AC tech can do it.

evacuate the system
remove the rear hoses
cap the tees where the rear hoses attached or
remove the hoses altogether and replace them with hoses for front AC only
replace orifice tube and receiver dryer
vacuum system and check for leaks
recharge the system
done

highdesertranger

To do it properly, this /\
I removed the rear unit in my van, but the cooling system had self evacuated before I bought it with the AC system having a massive leak at the compressor so I just cut the lines and tucked them away for the time being.

Is your ac unit in the way of repairing the bed, or you're just wanting to get rid of it?

highdesertranger said:
sure can,  any AC tech can do it.

evacuate the system
remove the rear hoses
cap the tees where the rear hoses attached or
remove the hoses altogether and replace them with hoses for front AC only
replace orifice tube and receiver dryer
vacuum system and check for leaks
recharge the system
done

highdesertranger

Big thanks.

I cannot locate the screws. Dont know how to remove it.

May be hidden behind the unit. I was gutting my van anyway, but screws were not accessible until I had all the interior stuff around it removed which was also the same for accessing plumbing to unit.

do not try to remove it before you have it evacuated. very important. highdesertranger

Thank you all.

I change my bed location so as not to bother myself about rear AC. This group is a big help.

Do not change your bed location before you have it evacuated. Very important.

Fr33dom,

I have an E350 with rear AC and I use mine fairly often. I keep the back area of the van closed off so I don't have to cool it while I'm driving down the road and then I just fire up the rear AC for a couple of minutes if I need to go back there for something during the daytime. Works great and I don't think the unit takes up all that much room. The overhead duct system does take up about 4" of your headroom but you can remove all that stuff and make your own ceiling and keep your AC vents back in the rear by the unit.

I'm only chiming in here because you said you're thinking about just keeping it, so I wanted to encourage you to do that if it's still working OK.

Johnny

highdesertranger said:
do not try to remove it before you have it evacuated.  very important.  highdesertranger

JohnnyM said:
Fr33dom,

I have an E350 with rear AC and I use mine fairly often. I keep the back area of the van closed off so I don't have to cool it while I'm driving down the road and then I just fire up the rear AC for a couple of minutes if I need to go back there for something during the daytime. Works great and I don't think the unit takes up all that much room. The overhead duct system does take up about 4" of your headroom but you can remove all that stuff and make your own ceiling and keep your AC vents back in the rear by the unit.

I'm only chiming in here because you said you're thinking about just keeping it, so I wanted to encourage you to do that if it's still working OK.

Johnny

Yes my rear AC is still working.  I am now changed my mine.  The bed will be place lenghtwise in the driver side.

Before, it is crosswise at the rear door but since I raised the roof the rear AC vent is removed comes the idea of removing the rear AC.  Yes rear AC is very important in a tropical country like ours.  We deal heat not cold.
Again thank you all guys for the reply.

MotorVation said:
Here's a link to a kit made for your van to cap the rear lines. It looks a little pricey for what it is. 

Block off kit Amazon

I got an 06 Suburban to drive while I go through my truck tranny. The guy said he could hear the leak. Well it is in the rear line... and immediately I have found a block off kit that isolates the rear lines. Of course it arrived the day after I had to finally leave.
But it’s in my opinion better made and less them $20... for now ( I’m in Utah at daughters) I’ll keep the windows down! Haha!

Latest posts