Ford E-150 Conversion Plans and Questions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steffykaye

Reaction score
Recently purchased a Ford E-150 passenger van. It is as they say "fully loaded." There is not a whole lot of build that will need to be done for us to get started dwelling.

The van floor is already carpeted, but it is in horrible condition, pretty sure that there is no way I can get it clean enough to use. Thought about pulling it up, but am now thinking of just laying some sort of remnant flooring on top of the carpet, essentially using the carpet as free insulation.  Has anyone done anything like this and/or do you think it would work?

The rearmost seat is essentially a futon, folding down exactly like one that you can buy at the store.  The problem is that it is old and although it will work size wise for my husband and I, we lived in a semi for quite a while and shared the bed that was somewhere between a twin and a full size, the padding is virtually non-existent on the seat part of it.

There is an empty space between the seat back and the back door when in the seat position.

My plans are to build a box in the empty section that my husband wants to use for the deep cycle batteries. I am thinking that I could leave it open on the side facing the back door so that the batteries are easily accessible, and pad out the top so that when we change the seat into the bed position, it should allow for extra "bed." Also, could store the bed linens, pillows, etc on top of the box during the day.

To fix the lack of padding, I want to build 2 simple frames of 1x4's or 1x6's and plywood with padding that will slide over each section of the seat. If it works as I am hoping, it should be a comfortable futon style couch/bed.  

Also, there is already hooks for a clothes bar in the area behind the seat, I am going to only pad the back box up to where the clothes bar will be, putting a curtain up in front of the bar to essentially make a closet. I already have a hanging organizer with drawers to hang from the closet bar for underclothes, socks, etc.  

These are the first 2 steps of my conversion plan.  I welcome any and all advice, constructive criticism, warnings, anything from those with much more experience than me in doing conversions.

Thanks in advance!

There's a reason that carpet is in such poor shape! Everything that is outside your vehicle will come in to the van when you are living in it...sand, dust, pine needles, water, especially water... :rolleyes: 

I really recommend removing the carpet right down to the bare floor. Sand and seal any rusty areas of the floor and then lay in a plywood subfloor and use vinyl laminate for finished flooring. You can always toss throw mats down wherever you want them. They can be washed or thrown out on a regular basis. Yes, there's a slight loss of sound barrier on the floor but a van is never going to sound like a cadillac anyways!

A lot of van owners start out trying to use the fold up bench seat/bed that the manufacturers still insist on using. My recommendation is to try to sleep on it in a location where you can get up at 2 AM and go find a real bed.... :) 

Most end up ripping it out and replacing it with something that can actually be slept on night after night. A better platform bed can be built quite simply that will allow for better storage under the bed than that fold up seat allows. Also, after a few attempts to put it back in to a seat during the day, most people find that they end up leaving it down anyways. It's a PITA to move stuff out from under it to reconfigure it and then put everything back.

If you want an extendible bed so that you have more floor room, there are several different designs around that are quite workable and easy to build.

Thanks all. My original thought was to strip everything out and start configuring it the way I want. The husband, however, is wanting to get done right now and get started so am trying to find ways to please both of us. As far as the flooring, I didn't really think of the need to check for damage under the carpet, thanks so much for that advice. I know from the semi experience that I would much prefer a floor that I could sweep easily with a broom and mop up spills as necessary. No matter how careful we are with storage and securing food, etc, one occurrence of having to slam on the brakes to avoid an accident will end up in spills.

Here is photos of my early building on a e150 conversion van. Removed all rear seats, removed all carpet. Ended up reusing the rubber mat under the carpet. Built 2x2 frame for bed with storage underneath and cabinet on passenger side. Covered with hardboard and speaker carpet.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    646.5 KB
image.jpgMore pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    667.2 KB
I removed the rear carpet and pad, from just behind the two front seats.  Replaced it with bed rug from bedrug.com.  Very easy to install, easy to keep clean, looks and feels pretty nice and not too expensive ($125 then).  And stands up well to abuse.  Used a transition piece to seal the seam where it joined the carpet behind the front seats.

A few days in and the rear fold down seat was the first thing to change!  Very uncomfortable and the frame and power stuff underneath made it difficult to store much under it.

Best wishes!

Thanks all! Our back seat has nothing underneath it and literally works exactly like a futon. Maybe it was replaced by the previous owner? I know they were planning on turning it into an RV but decided they didn't want to live that way. I am going to try and post pictures so you all can see it. We had a van before that we were going to use, but the engine blew in like the first week we had it. The back seat in that one was a total pain in the backside and I was definitely going to pull it out, but this one is different. Getting photos this week and hope to draw up something that can show what I am thinking of doing.