Ford Aerostar? Good mechanicals?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugster

Reaction score
I'm thinking for my needs, perhaps a minivan might work and have been thinking about different minivans.

Because I'm goofy, I started thinking about those old Aerostar vansI thought of them because they seemed to be squarer in shape and will probably offer more interior room than other similar minivans (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Don't see too many of them anymore but in college I worked at Dominos with a guy who had one and that van never had an issue.

They also made an extended version and doing a quick search, they are dirt cheap.

If I go that way, I'd be able to buy one and go through it for what I could get for my old class B van,

Anyone have any knowledge of the general mechanical reliability of the Aerostar?

In 2008 I took a few semesters at a local community college in their automotive technology program.  It was a Honda course but it was taught by a guy who owned his own shop for decades and did a lot of work on Fords.  His advise was to stay far away from the Aerostar due to it having very predictable transmission problems.  The way he put it, they would self destruct, almost like clockwork, after a certain number of miles.  
He went into a lot more technical detail about the when and why, but it was a long time ago and I don't remember all the particulars.  
The advice has always stuck with me, though.  He was a smart guy and a damn good mechanic and teacher.

on any vehicle that you used to see all over, but hardly see anymore. this should be a red flag. there is a reason for that. highdesertranger

I know a couple of people who LOVE their OLD Dodge Grand Caravan's. One has a 1987, and the other has a 1990. Both of them say that other than the flakey paint jobs, the drivetrains in the 1990 and older ones was rock solid. Both of them have the 3.0 V6, with the automatics.

I've had bad experiences with Dodge/Chryslers, but my Dad had an 80's model pick up with a 318 and it ran forever. I'll keep that in mind for Dodge vans. Any other 80's model vans to look for? May not need the size of a full size but any first hand knowledge on 80's model vans?

I had a 98 durango with a 318 and it was a piece of shit.

I drive a Ford Aerostar for work and it has 360K on the original motor. 2nd Transmission, but that's not bad.
The Vulcan 3.0 is the best motor for an Aerostar. Cast iron block and cast iron heads. They go forever.

I had a 1994 Aerostar with 220k, no transmission replacement at any time, Vulcan 3.0 as well.

Had to get rid of it because the rust just became too much, unfortunately. Would be interesting to know at what mileage the factory transmissions tended to go out.

I would want this for my minivan  :D

b198b1bbaa7abaf6c1edd49378e65dc4.jpg

East said:
I had a 1994 Aerostar with 220k, no transmission replacement at any time, Vulcan 3.0 as well.

Had to get rid of it because the rust just became too much, unfortunately. Would be interesting to know at what mileage the factory transmissions tended to go out.

I think it depends on the maintenance performed by all owners.   Mine was a fleet vehicle initially, then a house painter bought it from the beer company.   I bought it from the painter, who did little maintenance that I can see.

I like Aerostars and mine has served me well.  I paid $300.00 for it on Craig's list and it needed a timing chain.  I put a double roller chain on it and that was it.  The A/C has always blown cold and the heater is hot.   What more could I want?

It's been a great vehicle.

Aerostar's were made from the late 80's to late 90's - a time period when Ford and the other American car companies quality was pretty bad in general - and hence how a number of other car companies were able to get a lot of traction in the US because of it.

Having said that because of their age you might find one for very little money, and if your somewhat mechanical it might be worth a try.

I have had all  of the big 3.  The chevies I had went through "ghost" problems. :huh:  The Fords just self destructed. :s  The MOPAR's needed front end work.   :dodgy:

It is a crap shoot on any vehicle.  Just Google the model and year with the word "problems" and good luck.  :D

I now drive a 91 B250 with completely rebuilt everything. A 1969 318 under the dog house.  It should last me until I can find something that is calling my name.

Latest posts