For those that do take a firearm with you...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BigT said:
That's what I've got too.  Solid gun.  Had it for over 27 years.  Mine has the 18" barrel and pistol grip, so it's nice and compact.  
Been thinking about getting a tactical butt-stock for it though, just to make it a little more accurate.  

Lately I've been reading that bird shot, maybe #6, makes a good home defense load.  Less chance of it passing your target and hitting someone else in another room / building / car.
Depends on how close you are. I have read that a load of birdshot expends more energy onto its target as it will have a lot of pellets. If you're real close though, I expect it'll penetrate pretty deep. I had the pistol grip, and yeah it's a lot more compact, but when it comes to actually using the thing, give me a full butt stock please.
packnrat said:
i am not a leo, but being on there "outside" i do know they have to put up with true bad people, that we "regular" folk will never have to deal with.

I'm going to say it depends on circumstances. I'm a tall skinny white guy, and have suffered attempted robberies on multiple occasions because they saw me as an easy target. It never really turned out the way they expected.
In Vegas, I had friends that were LEO's whom told me of some of the funnier stories. Yeah, they encounter more, because they go in looking for trouble spots. You and I will generally try to stay on safer turf.

packnrat said:
hay lenny flank why not try doing some ride along's with a couple police agancys. in the "bad" part of there citys.

I don't camp in the bad parts of their cities.

GypsySpirit said:
I just have a little .22 It was given to me, I can shoot it just fine, it's just wimpy.

If it works for you and its all you have it's better than a sharp stick. Also as a Guy I know on Youtube says " A .22 will kill the S**t out of you."

A .22 handgun just doesn't have the stopping power of a .45, but still will seriously slow down any attacker, and make them think twice about continuing, whether it be a human, dog, or other animal. .22 ammo is really cheap to buy, fairly quiet to shoot, and easy to handle, ina lighter weight/smaller gun, so you break the bank, your ears, or your elbow shooting all day for practice.

[quote="Charlotte']
If anyone has knowledge/experience with this
revolver I'd like to know what you think.  (Even If you've
never heard of this manufacturer, please check it out &
offer a comment.)

[/quote]

I have shot this very same model it is a great shooting pistol. Even thought I own many Semi-auto pistols I am a fan of a wheel gun. I have quite a few of them too. I get a lot of crap about it but for value and quality the Turkish made weapons are amazing. I shoot USPSA and have 3 Canik TP9SF's stock that I shoot in these matches.

n0zbh please define your abbreviations what is,

USPSA
CANIK TP9SF

I know whatever these are you are very proud of them, but if two other people on the forum know what you are talking about I would be surprised.

highdesertranger

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Good point USPSA is the United States Practical Shooting Association. There are local clubs all over the US that hold competitive shooting events. The major ones are 3 Gun tis type the shooter uses a shotgun, semi-auto rifle, and pistol to shoot various targets on different stages, it is scored by time, hits on targets. Steel Challenge is a course of 5 steel targets that you shoot in stages scored by hits on target and time. and the USPSA style is a multi stage event with steel, and paper targets, also scored using hits on targets and time. If you are interested in more information google USPSA. I can tell you that these guys, gals, youth enjoy helping others to become better. If you want to improve firearm skills this is a good way to do so you don't have to be a member to go to and event and shoot just do some research on the web site first as to what the rules are and the equipment you will need to be involved. I can also say if you don't have everything you need to get involved and would like to try it out show up with ammo and at least hearing and eye protection and a pistol and the folks involved will help you with anything extra you might need as well as walk you step by step through the event. [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]The Canik TP9SF is a Turkish made pistol that is very affordable and reliable I have 3 for that reason and they are my stock competition pistols. Here in my area you can find them new on the shelf for around the $300 range. If there is a question I have not answered here that you have PM me or email and I will help you out.[/font]

I should have also added what I carry in the way of arms and why and how. In the summer when I wear shorts and light clothing I tend to carry a Kimber micro 9 I make my own holsters so I built one that I can carry inside waist band at the 5 O'clock or have outside at 3 O'clock it can also be used as an in the pocket holster. In cooler months I carry a full size 9mm or .45 in various configurations. For back country where legal to do so I carry a Colt Delta Elite 10mm loaded with 220 grain Hard cast lead flat nose, in a chest rig. I will add a few photos of holster and pistols.

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    837.5 KB · Views: 4
  • pix830441335.jpg
    pix830441335.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 5
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 4
As always, I suggest the W-88 warhead with a 200-kt yield.

It's the only way to be sure.

;)

highdesertranger said:
n0zbh please define your abbreviations what is,

USPSA
CANIK TP9SF

I know whatever these are you are very proud of them, but if two other people on the forum know what you are talking about I would be surprised.

highdesertranger

Teach a man to fish.
Double left click on a questionable group of letters.
Right click and a popup appears, select Search [search engine] for "group of letters".

do I need to explain this all over again. I guess so.

some members here have limited data so we ask to keep the amount of data they need to use to a minimum. this is the same reason we ask members to trim quotes to a minimum and to give a detailed description of all links.

of course I know how to search what abbreviations mean. but I am not asking for me. I could put the meanings in myself but that just makes a ton more work for me. I always try to get the original poster to define them so they get in the habit of doing it.

can you understand this. I hope so. so we can drop this right here and we don't have to argue about it.

highdesertranger

I've been a serious gundude since my teens, and now at 50 and about to condense my life into a trailer, my most painfull adaptation is that I can no longer have a dedicated gun room with all my reloading gear and multiple weaponry. I've been begrudgingly and slowly divesting myself of everything except the essential battery. But as a long time prepper as well, my underlying urge is to still at least carry a substatial stockpile of ammo. But the wieght penalty on that forces me to keep that drastically limited also.

But worst of all, if you are an owner of NFA items (National Firearms Act,...the unconstitutional federal regulatory scheme passed in 1934 that licenses machineguns and silencers and all the other truly good stuff), there is no way to live as a nomad without a fixed residence AND still possess your awesome tools. My Thompson and Sten and suppressors have had to be sold off.

The battery consists of;
1. Glock 43 (a 9mm pocket pistol) for concealed carry
2. Glock 20 (full size 10mm pistol for unconcealed carry, including bear country)
3. Ruger 22/45 Mk3 (.22lr pistol suitable for hunting small critters or for recreation)
4. AR15 carbine (a short version of the famous rifle, similar to what is currently called the M4, particularly useful for intimidation or use against multiple ner-do-wells)
5. M1 Garand T26 "Tanker" (a shorty version of Clint Eastwood's "get off my lawn" gun, useable for bear, elk, deer, coyotes or people, my preferred long gun for the southern border region due to open spaces)

I can fit these into my limited space. But it is much more than most would likely justify for themselves.

If I absolutely HAD to reduce it further,...the horror,...I would likely go retro old school and simply have a revolver and lever-action shorty in the same caliber,...probably a .357 combo. A nice pair (for my tastes) would be a S&W 686 and Puma M92, both in stainless steel.

lenny flank said:
This man, "M" went on a hike, he was maybe a three miles going up switchbacks, he heard twigs crack, and a man, clearly not dressed or equipped for hiking or mountains came out.  "M" twisted his torso so the strange man saw he was packing heat, but as well stated a greeting.  The strange man just bustled by, and hurried down the trail, whereby M noticed he had a large knife tucked in his back belt.  

^^Just to be clear, I did not write any of this.

I have spent many many a time on the Appalachian Trail though (I lived just a few miles away from it) and never had any need for any weapon there.

lenny flank said:
^^Just to be clear, I did not write any of this.

I have spent many many a time on the Appalachian Trail though (I lived just a few miles away from it) and never had any need for any weapon there.

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it...

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 7
highdesertranger said:
do I need to explain this all over again.  I guess so.

some members here have limited data so we ask to keep the amount of data they need to use to a minimum.  this is the same reason we ask members to trim quotes to a minimum and to give a detailed description of all links.

of course I know how to search what abbreviations mean.  but I am not asking for me.  I could put the meanings in myself but that just makes a ton more work for me.  I always try to get the original poster to define them so they get in the habit of doing it.

can you understand this.  I hope so.  so we can drop this right here and we don't have to argue about it.

highdesertranger

You are actually pretty bad about this, old man. :D