For Christian Van Dwellers...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, understand :) But my message could not be sent due to something at your end.

I've deleted some old PMs in case my inbox was full

Jack said:
Do you ever attend services at a local church in the area you happen to be in?  Personally, this is something I'm really excited to do each week!  Sitting at home for 15+ years as a hermit, listening to sermons on YouTube from pastors around the country (as well as the world) has me very eager to visit the churches I've been "attending" online for years!  And to fellowship with like-minded brothers and sisters in Christ will be outstanding!

This is another huge aspect of van life that I crave and look forward to big time - seeking to know God more intimately.  Sure, I could (and do) do that now, but it's harder with so many demands on your time and attention; in all the noise of life.  What a blessing to be able to get away from most of that to just be with Him and grow in Him!

I'd love to hear about your experiences!

:)   :)   :heart:

John61CT said:

or this~  

[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]I am a poor wayfaring stranger
While traveling through this world of woe
Yet there's no sickness, toil or danger
In that bright world to which I go

I'm going there to see my father
I'm going there no more to roam
I'm only going over Jordan
I'm only going over home

I know dark clouds will gather around me
I know my way is rough and steep
Yet beauteous fields lie just before me
Where God's redeemed their vigils keep

I'm going there to my mother
She said she'd meet me when I come
I'm only going over home[/font]

There are Christian congregations that aren't welcoming to visitors? That would be counter to the spirit of Jesus's teachings, wouldn't it? Un-Christian, if you will?

I listened to a very impassioned sermon a few months ago, railing

against the idea of the Unity of all humanity,

in favor of "us vs them" tribalism

and against Tolerance of differences, especially those not the result of conscious choices.

Had a very hard time remaining polite.

John61CT said:
in favor of "us vs them" tribalism and against Tolerance 

I was in a sect that professed being in the world but not of the world, doesn't sound too bad until you find out that if you step outside those skinny lines you may become an instant outsider.

Of course, knowing me, I did not step outside the line

I jumped

and now I belong where I am valued as myself and with all my humanness, and including the humanness of my family, friends, and many others.   There are no skinny lines here.            ~crofter

And another handy use for that bucket we all have - he plays it amazingly              crofter

crofter said:
I was in a sect that professed being in the world but not of the world, doesn't sound too bad until you find out that if you step outside those skinny lines you may become an instant outsider.
How many different denominations of religion are there in the US? I've seen it numbered in the 10s of 1000s, and all with slightly belief structures.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations

Campfire song  4 u with 4,177,199 views

[size=large]Will The Circle Be Unbroken Vol.2/Nitty Gritty Dirt Band/Johnny Cash/Ricky Skaggs

Here's the old Cash, it's worth watching and I posted the chorus so you can sing along. 

[size=large]the words you may remember singing around a fire~

[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]Will the circle be unbroken[/font]
[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]By and by, lord, by and by[/font]
[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]There's a better home a-waiting[/font]
[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]In the sky, lord, in the sky[/font][/size]

Enjoy    ~ crofter

crofter said:
Lots of room there to practice understanding, dialogue, tolerance, and love   ~crofter
^^^^"I was in a sect that professed being in the world but not of the world, ..." 

... I guess you were unlucky with your choice. They had 1, 2, and 4, but not 3.

crofter said:
or this~  

[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]I am a poor wayfaring stranger
While traveling through this world of woe
Yet there's no sickness, toil or danger
In that bright world to which I go

I'm going there to see my father
I'm going there no more to roam
I'm only going over home

I know dark clouds will gather around me
I know my way is rough and steep
Yet beauteous fields lie just before me
Where God's redeemed their vigils keep

I'm going there to my mother
She said she'd meet me when I come
I'm only going over home[/font]

Beautiful. Emmylou Harris does a great rendition. Also Townes Van Zandt.

Jack said:
Do you ever attend services at a local church in the area you happen to be in?  Personally, this is something I'm really excited to do each week! 

This is an old, old thread, but I'm glad I stumbled across it. I am also a Christian (non-denominational) and looking forward to visiting churches along the way when I begin my travels. I no longer go regularly but I do enjoy visiting.

Hi ImagineGoTravel . . . I'm also a nondenominational Christian. It is always fun to drop in on a church I've never been to before, but as I've been sheltering in place since the beginning of April I have enjoyed online services from my local church and my home church in North Idaho.

This was a great thread because it reminded me that when I can afford to travel (I want to cross the country) I will be able to attend all sorts of religious services. I have an intellectual and emotional interest in religion even though I lack the level of faith of many of my friends. But it’s something I do here (brings me peace along with my meditation practice) and would be really great to see many different places. Thank you for the beautiful songs/lyrics Crofter.

travelaround said:
Hi ImagineGoTravel . . . I'm also a nondenominational Christian. It is always fun to drop in on a church I've never been to before, but as I've been sheltering in place since the beginning of April I have enjoyed online services from my local church and my home church in North Idaho.

I no longer have a physical home church, by choice, but I watch teachers/preachers/speakers on TV everyday. No matter how bad of a name televangelism has, it's a great, additional resource for those wanting to grow in the Lord everyday.

Wow! North Idaho! You certainly can't complain about it being too warm in winter. Gorgeous snow, I'm sure! Are you a snowbird?

Latest posts