Food Bank

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offroad

Reaction score
So just found out that if you dial 211 in any area you can find out where their is a food bank to get food, so you do not go hungry.  Do not know why this discussion has not been made before.  Food banks give groceries to the needy and their is no reason why if you are mobile too, that you cant get food. 

Just look up food bank online, or try the dialing 211 trick.

Am not sure if they run out at times, but hope then you might have saved enough to get through with shopping for good cheaper sources.

You of course would need to be near a major civilization area, which many are not.

A lot of small towns have food banks as well so don't discount it just because you're not near a larger urban area.

BUT, many, in their struggle to provide for their citizens have rules that restrict who can use the food bank.

I know all the ones near here require registration and require that you provide proof of residency whether it's a rent receipt, lease agreement or a utility bill. Maybe yours are different.

Good point about residency. So all the homeless go hungry? If you are homeless you are still a county resident. At least for now. Wonder if a letter to general delivery in your name at the local post office would work.

Again. Not trying to imply you are scamming to get food. You should need it. And your claim to be homeless seems valid.

offroad said:
Good point about residency.  So all the homeless go hungry?  If you are homeless you are still a county resident. At least for now. Wonder if a letter to general delivery in your name at the local post office would work.

Again. Not trying to imply you are scamming to get food. You should need it. And your claim to be homeless seems valid.

The truly homeless more often find assistance at homeless shelters and soup kitchens than at food banks. To utilize the food banks you generally need some place to prepare the food which the homeless don't have.

Small towns generally don't have the truly homeless whereas larger urban centers do. In a small town there just aren't enough places to be homeless.

I managed (as a volunteer) a food bank and emergency services facility a few years ago.

If the organization is subsidized by the federal government, in any way, it must support transients. Therefore, as a transient, one is entitled to at least a one time food box and emergency supplies. Some sort of picture ID was required to prove immigration status.

Ahhh, therein lies a major difference between US and Canadian food bank services.

The vast majority of ours are funded through organizations like the United Way or by various other charities. There is a nationwide association of food banks that helps with organizational and fund raising strategies.

Some municipalities help fund the food banks but it is at the municipal level as opposed to a federal level.

I don't qualify for food banks, but I have many friends who do. It's hard to generalize about the rules but because we are mobile I have several friends who plan their summer-winter travels around social service systems like foodbanks. Arizona as a whole has a very good network: Quartzsite, Cottonwood and Flagstaff have very good systems in place. I've eaten at some of their soup kitchens and thy were darned good!

I made a donation each time.
Bob

One place that helps without a residency requirement, at least in this north Texas area, is Catholic Charities. If a person is hungry where they live or how they live should not enter into the equation. 

I am not for or against religion, to each his own but the charities run by them seem to be less "controlled".

and you don't have to be Catholic to get assistance at least not here.Same goes for other church affiliated food banks.

The food bank nearest Mr has both a "no cook" and a "cook" section. You must choose one.  If you can prove residency, you get to shop in the "cook" section that also contains all of the fresh produce, desserts, and many other things that do not require cooking as well as those that do. Many times there's is an overabundance of something, so that for like 7 weeks straight there were signs saying "Please take as much pasta as you can use."

The "no cook" section is for transients and has a vastly decreased variety. With a local mailbox address and a hopeless look on my face they finally let me register to receive food from the cook section, after initially denying me.

I have somewhat extreme dietary restrictions, and their rules prevent me from stocking up on an item that I can eat. They are unwilling to make exceptions even with a doctor's note, so in practice on a lucky day I get maybe one or two meals' worth, which is supposed to last me a week.

What I've ended up doing is setting up arrangements where I shop at the food bank and then "pay" people with the food I get but cannot eat to crash at their place for a bit to cook and such. I'm sure the people at the food bank would disapprove, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

We don't use food banks as a rule but we do stop in to many to gather info to share with those who need them. Rarely have we been told there restrictions. Most will ask if you cook and have cold storage. 

We also stop for meals at soup kitchens sometimes, some great, some not quite so but nourishing. Small donations are always appreciated. Some of the best are in Az.

I currently volunteer at a food bank and have been humbled many times by former 'customers' returning to donate home grown vegetables, $$$ or packaged food. They mention how grateful they are to give back--after once needing help. I believe most FBs ask customers to register so that food distribution can be more fair to those in need. Our 'guide book' tells us how to register customers but it also states "keep in mind we never refuse food to those in need". If you need it please come buy, if not, maybe drop off some extras sometime.

I helped out at a church food bank.  To get food you went to the pastor or someone with keys, and explained your situation.  The more food they gave away, the more food came in the door.   :huh:

There were some who abused the situation, so most of the food was given to other places to distribute.

Better to give help to a few who may be taking advantage than to refuse it to even one who truly needs it.
Bob

here's something really sad

we have a community garden here and end up with wheel barrels of extra veggies and the food banks won't touch them,we have other church neighbors that can take some and distribute it but hundreds of pounds of squash,zucchini,cucumbers and corn just go to waist

akrvbob said:
Better to give help to a few who may be taking advantage than to refuse it to even one who truly needs it.

This.

I gave a nutritional bar to a homeless person holding a sign at a stop light today. I don't by default, since living here I'd have to become my own food bank to do that and I simply must have enough to feed myself. But when I stopped at a light he appeared dejected,  wasn't even holding his sign up anymore, placed his head in his hands and began to visibly sob.

We sat at the light for nearly a minute. He hadn't looked at me once the entire time. Gave no indication he was even all that aware of my presence. 

I managed to reach the power bars I didn't like so much anymore and rolled down my window. "Hey" I called out gently. He looked up. "Here". He came over and took it, strangely speechless,  looking at me as if stunned. I smiled at him and he found his tongue again to thank me.

Then he picked up his sign, and with what appears to be renewed hope began to walk down the line of vehicles that had gathered behind me, limping heavily as he went.

Now, I'm not naive. I know it could have all been an act. But, y'know, I'm okay with losing a power bar to that.  And if not my small gift may have saved a person from despair.

I don't try to sort the people out, I just give what I can to those that seem to need it, karma will sort them in the end.  Seems to me that the energy wasted preventing scams and scammers could be used to help many more than you catch cheating.
I guess I just figure there are far more good people than there are bad people all through life.

Corky

My daughter is the assistant manager of an FD store. When the food pennies out (expires and they cannot legally sell it), they are supposed open all the packages, pour bleach all over the food and then toss it. With clothing, they are supposed to cut it up with scissors, pour bleach all over it and toss it in the garbage.

If you need, you might want to ask the store employees about the stuff they "throw away". Some stores will box it up and place it next to the dumpster for someone to pick up.

Especially after Christmas. Candy canes & ornaments are the first thing to penny out. That would be a good source of peppermint for sore throats. I'm sure some folks resell the stuff at tailgate flea markets.

Some how bleaching food or clothing should be illegal. Sounds like a mean spirited way to prevent poor from access to it. Certainly not for liability as someone could eat something bleached and get poisoned.

offroad said:
Some how bleaching food or clothing should be illegal. Sounds like a mean spirited way to prevent poor from access to it. Certainly not for liability as someone could eat something bleached and get poisoned.

"What would Jesus do?"