FloorPlans-Layout drafts - requesting input

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Excel. I set up a template for my van interior space, with the wheel wells, support beams, Windows, doors, etc. I made the cell sized into small squares and used each cell as 1" x 1"

Looking good!   Now that you're almost done, may I post a link for the less abled member to go and play (for free if you wish) about floor plans for their own vans?   Floor plan grids and items  

DrJean said:
Looking good!   Now that you're almost done, may I post a link for the less abled member to go and play (for free if you wish) about floor plans for their own vans?   Floor plan grids and items  

Wow that's cool! If you made that - nice work!!

I personally like this bed/desk combo. Would add more space to your place.
6bd07089949fb2934528bc9cb198349e.jpg

And this is why I love this design. This is from a ebay listing for the bed and shelves. For a sprinter van is anyone is interested. But The bed is up and the legs mark it. If you had a desk that used what ever mechanism it uses to  keep it level when folding it down, that reached out the same length as these legs, you would have so much spare space!
s-l1600.jpg

Yep, Murphy beds are sweet.

I have plenty of space with my current design. I really like not having my windows blocked. I figured since I ended up with windows, I should make use of them.

Ran into an interesting layout problem on my new van. - I wanted a van with rear AC but didn't realize just how much width I'd lose at the rear. A longitudinal bed is probably the best use of space so I had to come up with something different.

Didn't need door access so it's a good use of space. The back of the couch is removable and lays in between it and the bench to form the bed. Passenger rear corner houses my Aqua-tainer water jug with the sink next to it and counter space for typical use or stowable stove next to that. Fridge goes under the counter. Purple boxes are the wheel wells. Standard box Chevy Express which is almost exactly 8'x6'. Sliding passenger side door still opens and the foot well is for battery, charge controller, and inverter. Bed boxes are about a foot high. Kitchen counter goes right to the bottom of the rear windows. I access the rear from the front.

Sorry for throwing something together on just MS paint real quick but this is the layout I went with.

mUsHkoY.png

Take you favorite version and find a whole bunch of cardboard, buy a roll of packaging tape and a pack of knife blades. Build a full sized mockup of your layout right inside of the van. When you have played with the pieces, trimming, cutting, modifying and gotten it to look just right you will then have full sized patterns.

I design my builds in 3D CAD, that means I am already close to having it just right. But there are some details I still end up building in cardboard just to verify what I think will work before I cut into expensive materials that I have a limited supply of.

I like BIB A. That is the design that's appealed to me after seeing a lot of build outs. I like the idea of having storage under the bed and having real access to that storage.

I realize that would give up the ability to transport certain items by not having the pass through. Of the BOS design.

I'm currently building out a 2013 Toyota Sienna. My decision for my layout on that comes down to will I be by myself BOS design or traveling with someone BIB. Luckily for me that is really a minor thing for me to execute either way. The totes I plan to use for storage will work with either design I choose.

BoS for me is putting a twin cot in and placing the totes under it. BiB is a little more involved screwing a frame together the totes will slide under and buying a full mattress to lay on top of it all.

I am stupid what is BIB A, and BOS. please define all abbreviations that aren't well known. I apologize if I should know these. highdesertranger

From the Posts on the pages following the OP (Original Post)

another poster used the abbreviations, it took me a minute to figure out what they were saying, I just kind of went with it when I chose to comment.

BIB A (Bed In Back plan A)

BOS (Bed On Side)

:)

sorry, I must have missed it the first time or I would have said something. in the future make sure you define little known abbreviations. this is meant for everybody not just mahem. highdesertranger

In my van I put the bed from front to back, but spaced it away from the wall a few inches. This makes it easier to lift the mattress, and I have some storage between the bed and wall. I am not monitized so not looking to make money from views, but if you want to see it Go to the 6:10 minute mark if you just want to see the bed. The video is about running a window air conditioner off of the 960 watts of solar that I put on the roof.

I am impressed! I want to ask, how wide is your van? I am building a 2000 chevy express extended, and when I frame out the wheel wells I get a tight 6'. I like the rear bed option, but admit I have never done this before so what the heck do I know? I only vacillated between flush to the back and offset by 15", like ccbreder said. I guess it depends how it comes out. One thing I am trying to build is a bed across the back that can fold into the van interior, couch-like, AND fold out the other way, ie - looking out the rear of my van, with both doors open, to admire whatever and wherever I am. Like we used to do at the drive in. I want a bed I do not have to fold up, I plan to leave it opened mainly, but know that I would destroy my mattress in no time by always only sitting on the edge. Like one of your plans, I also have storage all the way up flanking the bed, but don't see it being too heavy since I have a low roof. I think it just looks so much better than galley-style, form over function perhaps but poor proportions hurt me lol. Speaking of which, your van looks marvelous, just my period and well designed.

This is the first time I'm seeing your floor plans. I like the rear bed. I don't see why one can't put a dry bath in a 20' van. It may be engineering constraints, but it is doable on paper.
[email protected]

I have pretty much the same vehicle ( 2014 Chevy Express). My plan is to have the bed in back like your A layout. I like your flip up bench idea and am glad Bob explained on his video, I'm adding that to my layout. A quick question, did/does you van have the seats? The very first thing, on my list, is to have someone take them out. Just wondering how you dealt with them.