FloorPlans-Layout drafts - requesting input

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FALCON

Reaction score
I’ve just bought a van that I’m going to convert this summer. I’m doing some research on insulation, equipment, and layouts. I’ve made some drafts of possible layouts and I’m posting them here for feedback. I'll be starting a conversion thread soon.
Here’s the van: (a 2,000 Dodge Ram Wagon 2500)
FC389zw.jpg

The windows on the driver side are similar except that the window accross from the doors is not split in two, and it is the only window in the back that can open - the bottom rotates outward like some minivan windows do. So, when it works out well, I try to put the galley here.
I measured the van and made a template of it in excel. In the layouts below, there is a grid – each little grey line represents one inch. Only the top view is shown, and I’ve written whether the heights of the storage is full or partial. The values shown for storage and galley space are in cubic inches, and the area shown for open floor space is square inches.
From a space and size perspective, it looks like the bed on side designs are not very good (though they may be easier to build initially). I want to be able to transport a bicycle inside the van, as there will certainly be times I have a bike along with me. So having capability to fit it is a plus (on some designs I note whether it seems like a bike will fit in the storage or not).
I don’t show all the details. There are some things like high level storage that will likely be up above the galley and the bed. Also, I definitely want a table. I do a fair amount of writing with pen and paper, so I want a good surface for doing that on. I don’t show the table location on most designs, but sometimes have a note about where one could be attached. Most of the designs would have a non-permanent table that I could either have in place or not at a given time.
BED IN BACK:
- A -
CnSVMXw.png

- B -
T7y3e1f.png

BED IN MIDDLE:
- A -
3ojB9by.png

VANAGON STYLE:
- A -
FDR4Ymp.png

BED ON SIDE:
- A -
oMDsoaw.png

- B -
l6Uzy8W.png

- C -
l3QAsNM.png

- D -
w7lKVmh.png

What do you think about the layouts? Which one do you recommend using? (or do you have any other suggestions?). Right now, the designs I like the best are the Vanagon, The Bed in Back B, or the Bed in Middle. I don't think I've seen anyone using a design like the bed in middle. I think I'd like it because I could definitely store a bike in the back side of the storage. I would prevent use of the rear door for anything other than accessing storage, but I don't think this would be a big deal.
Please folks, do not "quote" this post--it's too much bandwidth.

BoS B or C make the most sense to me...

ZoNiE said:
BoS B or C make the most sense to me...

I agree, Storage up high will raise the center of gravity. Put heavy things down low. What about solar?  If you decide on that you need a place for a distribution panel.  Batteries?

Roof vent?  My dodge had only one place to put the Fantastic fan.  I had to plan my layout around that.

Look at the different build threads and make a list of what you see that you like.

Happy planning!   

Oh yes - there is square shaped flat spot on the roof where I plan to put the the vent fan. It is between the back of the door and the front of the wheel well, along the center axis of the van. In the first design (bed in back A) that would put the fan directly above the rear section of open floor area. In the bed in middle design, the fan would be above the middle of the bed. I don't think the fan location eliminates any of the designs.

I'll have solar panels, and the batteries will be on the floor, likely near the rear axle. Water storage would probably be near the floor on the other side of the van. As for the full height storage, I'd just have lighter things like blankets or clothes up high.

Falcon, I've got to say I think these are the very best layouts I've ever seen! Your Excel-Fu is strong!!!

With your permission I would like to insert the layouts into the page and make it sticky, which means this thread will always be at the top of the list.

But only with your permission. Don't make be beg, it'll be embarrassing! :p

Bob

Thanks for the compliment Bob. No problem at all with inserting the layouts and sticky-ing

Working on little sleep so I hope to be coherent
On BOS B and C you mentioned no pass through from the front. Why? I didn't see the front of the van on the layout as well. If you keep the front seat and install a rotating one, couldn't it be used facing the living area for company as well or as a recliner for your writing?

If you remove the front seat, what would you put there?

Just a few thoughts

One thing I have learned the hard way. Balance your build as to the weight of the components. 65 lbs a battery, Refrigerator? I ran my power lines from my solar through the side of my roof fan box. Plan a good size panel for your electrical distribution. mine is next to my galley for ease of plug in for the 12v cooking appliances. I also have switches on each outlet as the 12v plugs are not as sturdy as they could be.

@Trout - If I make the storage that is at the front (at bulkhead position) as wide as the bed, it would block much of the center gap between the seats. I could probably just make that storage and therefore the table less wide so it wouldn't block the passageway

I building a Dodge 87, B250, Windows. bed folds into a seat. The bed is going across about 15 inches front of rear doors.this makes a good place for a tool box and propane tank. I will keep everything below the windows as I will enjoy the view while inside and less cave like.

Im partial to the bed in back designs, there's something special about being able to open up those back doors to beautiful scenes and enjoy them right from bed.

ccbreder said:
I building a Dodge 87, B250, Windows. bed folds into a seat. The bed is going across about 15 inches front of rear doors.this makes a good place for a tool box and propane tank. I will keep everything below the windows as I will enjoy the view while inside and less cave like.

That is usually what I see done.  Be sure to have the ability to put up blackout curtains. 

Thank you for those lay outs. Big help to me. Bed in back designs won't for me. Being 6' 2" I've learned that cramped sleeping quarters = a bad nights sleep. I can take narrow but not short.

DougV said:
Thank you for those lay outs. Big help to me. Bed in back designs won't for me. Being 6' 2" I've learned that cramped sleeping quarters = a bad nights sleep. I can take narrow but not short.

Ditto, 6'4" here, and I MUST stretch out at times during the night.  Lengthwise behind the driver's seat for this ol' dog.
But in YOUR van, you do what fits YOU!  ;)

I don't have a favorite, but those are some nice plans. very nice. highdesertranger

Falcon, I'd like to ask one more thing from you and ask your permission to use your floorplans as a blog post for the website. I can just your username of Falcon or I can use a real name and give you a link to your website if you have one.

Since you're getting closer the interior build, did you decide on a floor plan yet?
Bob

akrvbob said:
Falcon, I'd like to ask one more thing from you and ask your permission to use your floorplans as a blog post for the website. I can just your username of Falcon or I can use a real name and give you a link to your website if you have one.

Since you're getting closer the interior build, did you decide on a floor plan yet?
Bob

Sure - you can use them for a blog post. I'd rather not have my actual name on things yet, so just the Falcon username is good. (At some point in the future I may ask you to add my name or a website to the post).

If you're not in a hurry to make the post, you may want to hold off for a bit. I'm still working on the designs. I'm adding two things:
- The two side views for each design
- More usable storage estimations - approximations of how many 14 Gallon (23"x16"x12") size Rubbermaid containers each design can hold in the storage areas and under the bed. That will help me approximate storage space better than just cubic feet or especially the cubic inches that I originally had.

And no, I still haven't decided on a layout yet. I'm thinking about it quite a lot right now,since I need to decide before I take some upcoming steps.

I really appreciate the work that went into them and the idea that you can make them even better is pretty amazing! I'll gladly (if a bit impatiently) wait!
Bob

Falcon,
Your van is very nice. You have a lot to work with!
I would put the bed on the side. May people who are tall or medium complain that once they get the insulation and the blankets in, that they still are cold since they are pushed up against the wall.
I had and tried all kinds of layout designs, but in the end, I had to design my unit around the vents, if windows come down all the way, and the air flow.
When putting in an item, make sure it can still fit around any pockets in the door, cup holders, etc.
Don't forget about Reflextix or what ever insulation you will use to account for the space it will take. Put double or triple layers on since 40% of heat is lost to each the floor and the ceiling. Remember certain areas, you will want to remove or add the insulation back, like over vent. and window areas. Put your insulation in. Turn on a 100 watt light bulb. Go outside the van at night, and see where there are gaps in insulation and privacy in your van.
As you spend time in the van, start by keeping things where you logically use them. Create storage areas from these, so you can find everything quickly.

I did a first draft of an inventory (what I would have in the van), and estimated how much space it will take to store those things. I put everything I could think of and came up with about 9 Rubbermaid's worth. There are things I will add to the inventory list, but I'm nearly certain I won't need more room than the 9 Rubbermaid's. That seems like a lot. It includes quite a bit of hobby gear. One thing is that I won't necessarily need to have all the hobby gear with me at the same time. I will have some things stored with family and I could take certain hobby gear with me at certain times.

Carrying a bicycle is important to me and that is having some limitations on designs. A bike is fairly bulky and it requires a large space to store. I really don't like storing bicycles outside, so that will probably not be happening. I'll store it with both wheels off, and maybe with the seatpost removed. It may also help to disconnect the stem from the steer tube, so that will be an option as well. My Stepfather recommended making a box to mount on the back of the van - that I would mount in the trailer hitch. That's an option I'll keep in mind if I really have trouble setting up interior storage.

Ok.. Design update -- For the bed on side designs, I've selected one I like the most, and made some modifications and detail additions. It is the Bed on Side C design. Here's how I have it now.

The storage volumes are now shown in approximate # of 17 gallon Rubbermaid containers (23"x16"x12") that will fit. The Square footages are now shown in square feet.

I generally followed drafting principles by showing hidden lines, but not entirely (I didn't make them dashed)

TOP VIEW:

SIDE VIEW (from side of van)

Same side view, with more detail on the table setup
17728017280_c17cddec55_b.jpg

SIDE VIEW - FROM THE FRONT OF THE VAN

(In this case, the front side of the bike storage area would stick out further than I like it - about 3" past the inner (right) edge of the driver's seat. I think turning the passenger seat around backwards would free up more space. I'd have to either get a device to install to make it rotatable, or just reverse it and bolt it in place (just turning and bolting would be tricky as I'd have to modify the bottom of the holder)