Flooring help.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idrankwhat

Reaction score
I have ultra touch denim insulation down on my Chevy Express 2500 Van now. I purchased some Stainmaster vinyl, but reading the instructions they recommend it only to be used between 65 to 85 F. Well, that's not life in a van! I'm going to take that back. I'd like to find something to put over my insulation, shiny side up (radiant barrier) I know the radiant barrier is useless without a gap. I'm just trying to decide if I should put some plywood down or if there is something that would go well on top of the insulation. I want it to look good. I prefer a good wood floor look if possible. I would like to know what others have done and how it looked/worked for you?

Just finished up removing old osb and carpet in my 91 GMC Vandura and put in wood laminate.

Attachments

• 25488287_10211078182572815_7784641940220963742_o.jpg
    25488287_10211078182572815_7784641940220963742_o.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 50
Calibound said:
Just finished up removing old osb and carpet in my 91 GMC Vandura and put in wood laminate.

Looks great! Would like to know how it holds up over time and temperatures!

idrankwhat said:
I know the radiant barrier is useless without a gap. 

This need for a gap, mainly applies if the shiny side would otherwise touch metal. The reflection of the shiny side, when used in a floor, will function to an okay degree, with most all other materials (but metal) being directly on top.

Calibound said:

That looks good. Did you use a chop saw, a miter saw or what to cut it with?  Since a lot of us don't have access to power tools like those, I've been wondering if an inexpensive miter box is needed, or how you cut the ends to be nice and smooth. Ordinary cross-cut?

Used an electric jig saw for everything. You could probably just use a hand saw. Took less than a day to do it.

Did you use any kind of underlayment? Everything I see in the big box store says that underlayment is required for laminate hardwood flooring, and I have zero experience with this part of a build-out.

RVtrek said:
Did you use any kind of underlayment?  Everything I see in the big box store says that underlayment is required for laminate hardwood flooring, and I have zero experience with this part of a build-out.

I'm going to put the vinyl floating on the plywood, The plywood is over the denim insulation.

The shiny does virtually nothing without an air gap, and only when it's the outermost layer facing a hot outside.

Otherwise it's just another sheet of plastic, may as well use the thicker tough poly if what you need is a vapor barrier.

With denim on the floor (?!) I'd make sure to make it easily removable for inspection, IMO likely will be getting damp.

John61CT said:
The shiny does virtually nothing without an air gap, and only when it's the outermost layer facing a hot outside.

Otherwise it's just another sheet of plastic, may as well use the thicker tough poly if what you need is a vapor barrier.

With denim on the floor (?!) I'd make sure to make it easily removable for inspection, IMO likely will be getting damp.

My intent is sound dampening not insulation. Claims to be mold resistant. I may want to inspect it occasionally to avoid any surprises.

Exactly, anything capable of absorbing moisture I'd want to keep accessibility

I left the ply floor someone else had laid down, added some used short-nap commercial carpet for sound/insulation, underlayment, a sheet of moisture barrier, and leftover laminate flooring lengthwise with side float clearance.

3 years later: I didn't have the back and front ends secured tightly enough at first and a few gaps appeared between the ends of a couple of rows that loved to collect dirt. Fixed that. Also secured it along the side entry but that means some of the flooring near there bulges a little during cold weather. Lays out flat in summer.

All in all: Easy to sweep and mop. Water spills collect on top long enough to wipe up. Was cheap. Definitely provides sound barrier and insulation. Looks ok but for the occasional bulging at side entry.

I have not noticed any other problems and plan to keep it as is.

Best of luck!

Sassy