FLOOR DROP

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfer

Reaction score
I see handicap vans for sale saying their floor is dropped 8 inches and sometimes I've seen them say that they can stand up in the back  because the floor has been dropped.

why would a person not want to buy a van with a dropped floor?

Why  would a person not want to make this mod on their current van?

Thank you in advance.

I've seen people drop a small section, like for a shower base flush with the floor. But more than that and you'd have to do some structural work. On most vans you would still be only able to drop it between the frame rails, and then only a few inches because the axle and drive shaft need room to move up and down. I think you could probably get away with more behind the axle, but you'd almost need an extended van to make it worthwhile. You'd still have to be carefull so you didn't reduce you're departure angle too much. I once was traveling with someone in a 4x4 Sportsmobile extended van on some pretty rough tracks in Baja. They had the optional storage box that fits below the floor behind the rear axle. It was approximately 8'' - 10'' deep. Going through one particularly steep gully they made contact with the rocky ground and dented it pretty badly.

You could probably do a little more with a Dodge Caravan mini van, as they are front wheel drive so have less underneath to worry about. You would definitely need to take into account structure though as they are of unibody construction. They are also already very low to the ground compared to a full size. There are quite a few of them around that were converted to wheelchair vans with a dropping floor in the rear the made a ramp for the chair so no lift was needed. Still way to low to stand in though.

Just some food for thought. If it were me, I can totally see setting a shower pan in the floor somewhere about midship, and then being able to standup in a lower high top. I'd make a cover for it like TMG just posted for the one in his van. That seems like the most valuable place to be able to stand as you could then make you kitchen area there also, and maybe a bed near the rear as you don't need the extra height at the bed.

Xplorer made a large number of low top, drop floor, class B's.  They aren't too hard to find either...

<center>DSC00653.JPG</center>

Attachments

• DSC00653.JPG
    DSC00653.JPG
    147.7 KB
surfer said:
Why  would a person not want to make this mod on their current van?

Because it's difficult. Stick your head under a van and see all the stuff that's there. Drive shaft and axle, springs, gas tank, exhaust system, brake lines, wiring... Some vans, like extended Fords and Dodges, have space aft of the axle that could be dropped. But it's still a lot of cutting, metal fabrication and welding. If someone really needs to have headroom, they should buy something that already has it.

Maybe it would be better to get a clear dome to go over the shower like some rvs have.

In looking under my B250, this is the entire amount if space I had that I could drop.  Everything else had something in the way.

Attachments

• jp photos 036.jpg
    jp photos 036.jpg
    1.5 MB
When I looked under a vehicle to get an idea of how one could have a dropped floor I imagined all you could get was something like GotSmart showed in his photo, a great space for batteries, water and such. I can't figure out how a handicap van could have so much floor space lowered. Even with the camper vans I've seen with the center part of the floor lowered (probably like Off Grid 24/7 mentioned) I assume that that lowered floor was between what I'll call  floor joists. I looked for photos on the net  but they are of the interior. Lowered floors on handicap vans must be configured differently. I'm guessing modifying a regular van is not going to get the same results. I did not want to make an appointment with someone who is selling their handicap van to figure that out because I have not seen one I would seriously consider buying so I would end up just being a tire kicker. Thought I would try  here  before resorting to that. Being able to fit in the parking garage while working would be a big benefit. I also thought the lowered floor increasing your square footage for storage would also be helpful.

Being able to fit into a parking garage would be great. I think most 3/4 and 1 ton vans are already to tall by themselves, and once you add roof vents, solar panels etc.... they definitely would be. Most parking garages I've driven past are in the 7' clearance range. I say driven past as my pickup with a pipe rack is a full 8' tall, and it's not lifted at all. You will definitely need to keep that goal in mind when looking at vehicles. I know a few people have pulled it off with full size 1/2 ton vans, and plenty with mini vans. It definitely opens up a lot of options for parking, and even stealth overnights in the city, or ski areas. Not that I would endorse that sort of thing. ; )

As with most things, a lowered floor is a compromise. When I drove for the local transit system, the Para-transport section used lowered vans with ramps for wheelchairs and other mobile devices. They scraped more and got stuck much more easily such as in deeper snow. Even driving over a curb could high center those vans. You wouldn't drive a Corvette over a curb, so a lowered van should be driven in similar manner. Having a lowered van is awesome when dealing with height clearances, but it does limit where you can go. My limit is 10' tall. No drive-throughs for me, but at least I can drive under nearly any underpass.

If you are driving off the beaten path, then being lowered is not a good deal. If you stay on more manicured roadways, then that would a very good thing. Height is a big deal; lower is better as far as driving goes. Maybe not so much for living in, but for driving, definitely.

I wondered if you wouldn't lose enough ground clearance to notice it. By the photos it looked the same as a regular van.

So I guess the happy medium is a regular van with a top that raises and lowers

Attachments

• 00p0p_4jLUD0C3MSo_600x450.jpg
    00p0p_4jLUD0C3MSo_600x450.jpg
    43.7 KB