Flat Outside Dual.... Drive it... Don't drive it

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vgilbert

Reaction score
Hello All,
Arrived at my campsite about 3 hours ago just south of the Grand Canyon, 53 miles from the nearest (I can find) tire shop.
I dont even know when it happened? No noise, no vibration, no nothing but there is a hole in the sidewall that I can fit my finger into....
Outside, passenger side dual on my shuttle bus. 
Any thoughts on driving it? I do not have a spare..... No excuse for that but the tires were new 14,000 miles ago and still look new....

If you don't have enough duct tape to patch it, I'd say your fine driving nice and easy to get a new tire. Driving long-term like that is bad for the bearings.

Drive it slowly, extra slow. did I mention slow. You can drive it a very short distance with both tires still on, of course very slowly. But if you are going to drive it any distance remove the flat tire make sure you can tighten the lug nuts.

For heavens sake get a spare. I have to ask what brand tires are these?

Highdesertranger

This is turning out to be quite an adventure for you, sorry you are having a tough time. Maybe some one of our group is nearby and can help out? I would assume Williams or Flagstaff or even a truck stop might have a repair service or a way to get a replacement tire. Do you have a way to safely jack up the vehicle and remove the tire? Have you ever removed a tire from the rim before? If you are headed up into southeastern Utah you definitely should get a spare as there are many remote areas. You might try a local school district to see if they could loan you one of their take offs or direct you to a closer source. I think the concessionaire used to have a garage in the park but probably really expensive.

If you have a lug wrench you can loosen the lugnuts slightly, then drive the bus up onto a two by six board placed under the good tire on that side. That should elevate the flat outside tire off of the ground allowing you to remove the flat tire. As others have said then drive slowly back to a service center. Good luck on this.

I do believe I'm near you. If you know for certain you can get a tire in Williams, I'll take you and the wheel there. If you can't get it there, I'll give you a ride to Flagstaff. I wouldn't want to be blocking 64 up by limping down the road. I'm 'in' for the night but my brain should start functioning sometime before noon tomorrow. If interested, send me a PM and I'll shoot you my phone number and we can talk about it tonight if we talk soon enough, or tomorrow if not.

Bob

PS. I've had more than two weeks under my belt since my second shot of Moderna. Oh boy, I was just reading about dually's. If you can get the wheel off in the first place I can help. I had no clue it could be complicated..

You don't need a jack to change the outside wheel on a dually. Highdesertranger

^^^ Agreed but a spare won't do you much good without one if a steer tire goes flat! Lol!!!

If it is patchable, or if you can plug it... can be done right on the rim, there are also ways to reseat the bead if you are prepared for it.

I had already cut one sidewall on a front tire on the trip and didn't realize I had cut the rear one when it went over the same rock. Only one spare tire. Fortunately my Samurai is light and even though not recommended 13 tire plugs lots of glue and 10 psi got me 75 miles home! I carry lots of cheap tire plugs and one good set of installation tools.

bullfrog said:
I had already cut one sidewall on a front tire on the trip and didn't realize I had cut the rear one when it went over the same rock. Only one spare tire. Fortunately my Samurai is light and even though not recommended 13 tire plugs lots of glue and 10 psi got me 75 miles home! I carry lots of cheap tire plugs and one good set of installation tools.

Wow! That might be a world record for plugs in one sitting lol

PlethoraOfGuns said:
Always carry a quality plug kit and a can of ether!

And LOTS of plugs!  I'm going to have to up my stash.

bullfrog said:
 . . . 13 tire plugs lots of glue and 10 psi got me 75 miles home! I carry lots of cheap tire plugs and one good set of installation tools.

I always like it when someone uses a creative solution to a problem.  Bravo!

How long did you let the glue set before pressurizing the tire?
And why 10 lbs?

highdesertranger said:
I have to ask what brand tires are these?

Highdesertranger
I would add... and the date code??? What is the date code on them...

I guess I can see a rock pushing in from the side in the right circumstances...

I hope the OP makes it out safely!

yeah the reason I asked is on duallies the tires are usually load range "E" or above with very tough side walls. However never say never, anything is possible. Highdesertranger

I let it sit about an hour while I cleaned up, put away stuff, ate lunch and figured out the shortest route to pavement. 10 psi because that was the least pressure I felt comfortable driving without worrying the tire would come off the rim as with a 2500 pound vehicle the side wall didn't wrinkle. The plugs were starting to bulge and come the next morning when I removed the tire. These were 10 ply rated tires but slate rock in a wet creek bottom is razor sharp. There is a lot of slate in the Henry Mountains, it is pretty common to cut more than one tire when there and pretty foolish on my part to have gone without a second vehicle but I always carry plenty of food and water and make sure someone knows where I basically am and when I am coming back.

I love adventures!!!
I drove it, 55 miles to the closest tire shop. 40-45 mph and it stayed on the rim just fine (stopped every 15-20 miles to let it cool off)
Guy got me right in, took 15 min and $229 and I was back on the road.