Companion wanted – Northern Arizona

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ring

Reaction score
Greetings friends.

I am looking for a companion to travel / camp with in Northern Arizona in the Jacob Lake area, about 40 miles from the Grand Canyon North Rim to split costs for a paid campsite, as well as split fuel costs for trips into town for supplies. This would be a two-month long arrangement (beginning of August through September).

Without publicly disclosing too many personal details about myself (such as my exact age), I am a female gen-xer, financially independent with my own gear, non-substance abuser, heterosexual, very introverted, no kids, non-religious, and politically left-leaning.

There is a lot of public (forested) land here and a great mobile signal. The nearest town for supplies is in Kanab, UT (about a 40-minute drive).

Right now I am tent camping at Kaibab Camper RV Village in a tent site. I have all of August and September booked solid.

The rate per day here is $25.00. Your share would be $12.50. The campground has showers, laundry, porta-potties, water and trash disposal. It is super quiet this year. Also, as of 6-28, campfire restrictions have been lifted.

All I ask is that you be financially independent, peaceful, like dogs (I have one), not drink alcohol and not be an outlaw. Male or female....doesn't matter.

Looking forward to having a good time....campfires, maybe a little cooking, morning coffee, long talks, music, grocery shopping, laundromat visits and friendship.

Last edited:
I thought I would add that $12.50 adds up quite a bit over time; I understand that not everyone can afford that kind of loot. Just being financially able to pull your own weight is adequate.

I am perfectly willing to camp in the forest on public land; however, I would at least like a two-week commitment in a safe place (meaning, a campground) to get to know one another a bit better. Of course, you are welcome to take off at any time.

My primary reason for looking for a "companion" is not merely to split costs, but to find someone cool to hang out with. Introverted as I am, complete isolation is simply not healthy.

What are the limits for the number of vehicles in the same campsite? What you want to do and what is allowed does not always work.

What are the limits for the number of vehicles in the same campsite? What you want to do and what is allowed does not always work.

Hi Maki. In answer to your question, I made sure to call the office to confirm info because sometimes they adjust the rules. An additional vehicle is allowed without charge. Due to the size of my tent (4 person) they will only allow one tent. If you're set up to sleep in your vehicle, you can do that. If you're a female, I can also share my tent. Like I said, though, I'm open to camping on public land after 2 weeks.

I was required to pay a non-refundable deposit for 4 days through August and September, spread apart by 2 weeks. If I'm camping on public land during those days I will come back to use those days to shower and do laundry. I will also pay for 4 more so that I have one day booked per week. You will register with the office to occupy those days also, so you will get to use the facilities as well.

*Here are the rest of the rules, copied from a flyer they gave me:

• Quiet time and generators: Our quiet time is considered from 9:00 PM to 6:00 AM to give all of our campers a chance to enjoy the peace and tranquility of our beautiful forest. We always like to keep the campground quiet and restful, and we ask for your help and cooperation in this important matter. SORRY, generators are not allowed to be used at any time in the Camper Village.

• Speed Limit: For the safety of our guests and control of dust and noise, the maximum vehicle speed limit is 5 miles per hour. Vehicles must adhere to the speed limit when leaving and entering the campground. After dark, if you are driving back on one of the forest service roads next to the campground, please be considerate of other guests, and drive slowly, another reason for caution are the cattle, mule deer, elk and bison that can be seen in the area.

• ATV/Quads: To control dust and noise, the "Joy Riding" of ATV's and quads within the campground is prohibited. You may drive slowly from where your quad is parked to the entrance gate and back. Ask at the office about parking for your ATV/Quad.

• Trash: Please place any trash or garbage you wish to leave in one of the trash cans provided.

• Campfires and Cooking Fires: Campfires may only be built in the designated metal fire rings. Fires must always be kept small! Any charcoal or wood fire must be in a metal container raised from the ground.

• Grills are available - please ask at the office. Ashes from wood or charcoal fires are to be placed in the metal fire rings (located in the center picnic area, never on the ground or in our trash cans).

• Firewood: We sell firewood at our office. Wood must fit inside the fire ring. It is fine to pick up kindling inside the campground, please make sure it fits inside the fire ring. During fire season, a ban on campfires may be imposed (without prior notice).

• There is a natural scarcity of water on the plateau PLEASE USE WATER RESPONSIBLY. ALL WATER here on the plateau IS PUMPED OR TRUCKED UP FROM THE VALLEY....Jacob lake (POND) is just a collect POND from winter/snow and rain and no water is used from this source.

• Please, no washing/rinsing of vehicles or pets.

• We reserve the right to levy a charge (vehicle-container) for any vehicle or trailer washing, or any prohibited use of water as stated above.

• Laundry facilities: Open 8am to 7pm. Clotheslines are not allowed. Kaibab Camper Village will not be responsible for damage or loss of any items when using the laundry facilities.

• Showers: Shower facilities (open 24 hours a day) have been installed for the convenience of our guests. The showers require $2.25 for 5 minutes of shower time. (9 quarters) Change for laundry /shower is available at the office.

• The office phone number is 928-643-7804.

It is worth mentioning also that it is monsoon season here, so solar is sketchy. The weather forecasts simply provide a general idea of whether or not it will rain. Pop-up thunderstorms are common.

*Edited on 7-5 to remove redundant info.

Last edited:
I actually made a mistake on the size of my tent. It's a 6-person 10' x 9' and sleeps 2 comfortably, lol.

Heavily waterproofed.

Last edited:
It's so unbelievably nice up here right now. I've had great solar all day for a nice change (usually it's about 50%). There has been a perfect breeze all day and there are just a few puffy clouds in the sky.

Tomorrow I'm going into Kanab to pick up a few eBay deliveries from the post office and visit the hardware store. It will also give me an extra opportunity to charge my devices because the weather tomorrow is looking iffy.

As far as shopping, there's another thing worth noting: There are no Amazon lockers and no Walmart store for less than a 2-hour drive, either to St. George or Page. The closest thing to a variety store is Family Dollar. So if someone decides to come, stock up on your most pricey supplies beforehand. Some things are more expensive in Kanab, particulary convenience / luxury items. Gas right now is $5.30.

Jacob Lake is centrally located between Kanab and the North Rim, so that is good.

I think it is so peaceful up here (8,000 ft) due to the surrounding towns being so lightly populated. On the road to the North Rim, the sprawling, rolling meadows are a breathtaking sight. The road closes on October 15th, and I hope for the remote chance of seeing the meadows covered in snow before then.

The woods are full of downed and cut wood, and I could have a campfire every day for a year if I wanted to. I think Forest Management likes people to leave the wood for critters. Although not a hard and fast rule here, I'd guess that plea was put in place during a time when trees weren't drying up. IMO, the fallen, dried wood presents more of a wildfire risk than a benefit to wildlife, and there is no shortage of it for critters. Besides, if the forest burns, there will be no critters to inhabit it anyway.

Pretty soon the forest will explode with wildflowers after a bit more rainfall. I spent last summer up here, too, and I couldn't believe my eyes when they popped up.

No problems with mice, either!

Im not in the area, though if I were id take you up on the offer, at least for part of that time. I love that area, we used to get up there a couple or more times/year when I lived in Flagstaff. The North Kaibab is one the the places I miss since moving away and hope to be able to get back to before long.

Post up again next year if you will be back there, I may be mobile again then. It would be fun to get to camp and visit.

Im not in the area, though if I were id take you up on the offer, at least for part of that time. I love that area, we used to get up there a couple or more times/year when I lived in Flagstaff. The North Kaibab is one the the places I miss since moving away and hope to be able to get back to before long.

Post up again next year if you will be back there, I may be mobile again then. It would be fun to get to camp and visit.
That's sweet, Malamute. Thank you for your kind words. :)

It is beautiful here, but next summer I think I'll be headed for the coast.

Incidentally, I did make the drive from Flagstaff to the North Rim last summer. Very unique experience (the town of "Gap" made me smile, and I couldn't believe how cheap gas was there). I was blown away when I saw the Navajo Bridge, especially because I totally didn't expect it. The scenery is stunning, and it made up for not being able to get a close-up view of the Colorado River at the South Rim.

I hope you went to Lees Ferry at the boat landing, its a neat spot right on the river, and where Grand Canyon river trips put in at. A friend used to guide fisherpeople there, I was able to go upriver with him a few times on his days off, and even catch a few trout of very decent and grill-able size.

Theres Lees old stone cabin there at the river also, its pretty cool. The food at Cliff Dwellers used to be pretty good, but I havent eaten there since the 80s. We used to hike around some of the canyons nearby. The Lees Ferry Lodge tavern is pretty cool. There used to be a dog that would get up on the hood and roof of vehicles parked out front so he could see his person inside through the windows. One time he was laying on top of the Sheriffs Dept car while the deputy was inside eating. The local dogs would sometimes lay around in the road, as did some of the people to star gaze one time. There was so little traffic at night it wasnt a big deal. You could hear a cars tires on the pavement a mile or more away, it was so still and quiet there.

Id love to go see it all again.

I hope you went to Lees Ferry at the boat landing, its a neat spot right on the river, and where Grand Canyon river trips put in at. A friend used to guide fisherpeople there, I was able to go upriver with him a few times on his days off, and even catch a few trout of very decent and grill-able size.

Theres Lees old stone cabin there at the river also, its pretty cool. The food at Cliff Dwellers used to be pretty good, but I havent eaten there since the 80s. We used to hike around some of the canyons nearby. The Lees Ferry Lodge tavern is pretty cool. There used to be a dog that would get up on the hood and roof of vehicles parked out front so he could see his person inside through the windows. One time he was laying on top of the Sheriffs Dept car while the deputy was inside eating. The local dogs would sometimes lay around in the road, as did some of the people to star gaze one time. There was so little traffic at night it wasnt a big deal. You could hear a cars tires on the pavement a mile or more away, it was so still and quiet there.

Hi Malamute. :)

No, unfortunately I didn't get a chance to see Lee's Ferry. I was really curious about it, and I hope to see it some time in the future. The day we (my dog and I) saw the bridge, it was really hot and his little paws were burning on the freshly-laid asphalt. I decided just to cut out from there.

The dog story is cute. And it's funny you mentioned the "local" dogs, because I saw a lot of (what I think) were stray dogs between the South Rim and Navajo Bridge area. It was really sad.

Thank you for sharing your special memories. I very much hope you get to see the area again soon, too. I hope, also, that you have found some special places where you are now.

I'm not in the Lee's Ferry area, but let me know if there is anything up in the Jacob Lake area you would like me to take pictures or videos of. I will get them to you. :)

Jacob Lake itself is completely dried up now, btw. I don't know how long it has been that way, but it was dried up last year and this year too. It's just a pit in the ground now, all overgrown with grass and weeds. When I look at it on Apple Maps, there is a definite pond there, but I don't know when the image was taken.

The older ponderosa pines here are dried up / dead about 1/3 up from the ground. There are countless young pines, but I guess there hasn't been enough moisture to sustain the older, larger trees. Even the young ones are suffering. There is a sad little tree at our camp that I "adopted", and I have been giving it some water. It has perked up so much. :)

There has been a lot of logging going on
in the forest across the road from where I am (the 67 and 89 area). I saw trees cut down that were at least 100 years old – massive piles of them. I want to ask a ranger the purpose of the logging, and I will find out before I leave.

I don't know if you remember or ever saw the Le Fevre Overlook toward Kanab, but everything in front of it, completely to the left and all the way to the right has been burned to a crisp. It is a vast, massive amount of land.

So far, this part of the forest is intact, and the forest across the road is still packed with trees despite (or in spite of) the logging. I really don't know what the future holds for this area, but I can say for sure that I'm glad I get to see it while it lasts.

Last edited:
Jacob Lake itself is completely dried up now, btw. I don't know how long it has been that way, but it was dried up last year and this year too. It's just a pit in the ground now, all overgrown with grass and weeds. When I look at it on Apple Maps, there is a definite pond there, but I don't know when the image was taken.

The older ponderosa pines here are dried up / dead about 1/3 up from the ground. There are countless young pines, but I guess there hasn't been enough moisture to sustain the older, larger trees. Even the young ones are suffering. There is a sad little tree at our camp that I "adopted", and I have been giving it some water. It has perked up so much. :)

There has been a lot of logging going on
in the forest across the road from where I am (the 67 and 89 area). I saw trees cut down that were at least 100 years old – massive piles of them. I want to ask a ranger the purpose of the logging, and I will find out before I leave.

I don't know if you remember or ever saw the Le Fevre Overlook toward Kanab, but everything in front of it, completely to the left and all the way to the right has been burned to a crisp. It is a vast, massive amount of land.

So far, this part of the forest is intact, and the forest across the road is still packed with trees despite (or in spite of) the logging. I really don't know what the future holds for this area, but I can say for sure that I'm glad I get to see it while it lasts.

For whatever reason it looks like there was a double post. I guess it has to do with ad competition....haha. And why am I seeing ads, anyway? Bob, gimme my money back!

Bob had to sell the forum, unfortunately. He's the same age my ex was when he died.

Life is precious.

I seriously need to go back to lurkdom, but would love some private messages if I don't get myself banned by the adservers first.

What paperwork is involved in crossing state borders these days? I am traveling with Emotional Support animals, including an unvaccinated (exotic pet, not somebody's dinner) rabbit.

Rabbit Hemorrhagic Fever is a real thing and much worse than COVID and monkeypox.

I do not have a Real ID yet, but the username is a real misspelled descriptive adjective, so I don't have to worry about losing benefits I never had.

Anyway, good luck. Too much isolation isn't healthy.

Glad I could inform you about the political situation in NorCal, anyway, because drugs suck.

Good luck to each of you on finding what you need for your travels.

Latest posts