First trial run in new truck topper landed me near heaven!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yesican

Reaction score
It was a rough start with 3 days getting the truck tires replaced, window chip repairs, and miscellaneous odd jobs to the camper, but Pita and I landed near heaven on the 5th day of our trial run.&nbsp; The sun broke through after 4 days of rain and drizzle and we found a huge field off the Denali hwy&nbsp;that only a 4 wheel drive could handle.&nbsp; After travelling through thick high brush on a muddy path we came to a huge field of low bush blueberries (about 20&nbsp;acres worth)&nbsp;that overlooked the snow covered mountain range north of Denali (aka Mt McKinley).&nbsp; That has to be what heaven looks like...It was OMG beautiful.&nbsp; All life's stress evaporated magically from my body when I stepped out of the truck and took that first deep breath of mountain air.&nbsp; What a sunset and what a sunrise.&nbsp; The entire Denali hwy view was amazingly spectacular.&nbsp; Its funny how I felt so at home in a place I've never been before.&nbsp; <br />&nbsp; For all the work and difficulty it took to get the trip going, those 2 days on the Denali hwy was worth every effort.&nbsp; The trip was meant for me to learn what needs to be done in my topper for long term living...Well...I need something else whether it be a full camper for the truck, an enclosed trailer to haul behind the truck, or a whole new vehicle such as a van.&nbsp; The topper is just too small for full time living, especially since I'll have to be working.&nbsp; Pita wanted nothing to do with the&nbsp;sleeping in the topper&nbsp;the last 3&nbsp;nights and slept in the cab of the pickup--she didn't like the squeek of the cargo carrier we had to step on to get into the topper.&nbsp; There was no time to organize before leaving as I just got it insulated the day before heading out so living was cramped and difficult, but at least the bed over the cab was comfy.<br />&nbsp;&nbsp; I learned what it was like to sleep in places where I didn't truly feel safe either from people or bears.&nbsp; The 44 mag pistol hung near the bed.&nbsp; Truthfully, the further away from civilization the safer I felt.&nbsp; I learned and experienced&nbsp;a lot, some GREAT, some good, some bad and I came home a wiser and happier woman.<br />Rae<br /><br />

Ahhh, sounds great Rae. I love that country on the Denali hwy. Last I was on it was when friend Doug and I rode it on our motos. East to west and then up to Healy and back down to Sterling....What a view of Denali! A sweet three days.....<br />Bri

Be careful! Just read where a backpacker was killed in your neighborhood by a grizzly.

Bear attacks are not uncommon in my neck of the woods or most any part of Alaska.&nbsp; I quit wearing headphones when walking and pay attention to the dog--she's my warning.&nbsp; I am more afraid of humans than bears as there seems to be a lot of kidnappings with poor results lately.&nbsp; Last month there was a car-jacking but the person got away when the culprit took a leak up on Turnagain Pass.&nbsp; Luckily the owner of the vehicle had a spare key stashed.&nbsp; To my knowledge the man has not been found...too close to home.<br />Rae

Sounds like ya had a real shake down run there, that is what is needed before taking the deep plunge of full timing... For me it was a head long plunge and for the first 6 months I made so many changes and the money spent (though worth it) took all my savings and put me slightly back in dept with the visa... I am glad you found nirvana on your final days, I have been there and it is a wonderful feeling...<br /><br />For those worried about all those Lions, Tigers and Bears... Sh+t happens, but when it happens the determining factor of the outcome is how prepared are you to deal with the situation... Being prepared does not mean buying bear spray <span style="text-decoration: underline;"><strong>after</strong></span> your camp was turned inside out by a bear... I have had my run in's with Bears, Cougars, and Coyote's... Each encounter was different and met with a different deterent from a long Moses stick, loud boat air horn, bear spray and a shot in the air with my .44 mag...

Latest posts