First time stuck, boards are winners.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IGBT

Reaction score
The other day we got our rig pretty well stuck in Florida sand.   Someone figured that a way to make a driveway was to sprinkle 1/8" of gravel on top of a graded sand dune.

Our rig is rear wheel drive dually and HEAVY (about 18,500 pounds).   I went to the hardware store and bought two 2"x10"x 10 feet pressure treated and had them cut them in half ($13 for each board, $26 total).   Using the four boards and digging out a place for them in front of the rear wheels took about 30 minutes, but the truck just popped right out as easy as pie.   Wife had wanted to call a tow truck but I was stubborn and wanted to know I could get our vehicle out in a pinch.

I have my travel trailer set on boards for just that reason

Know thy road ahead.
Not unlike scouting a river rapid on foot before shooting it in a boat.

Glad you got out! Not all would be so resourceful.

Dave

thumbs up, good job. when I had a 2wd I used to carry a couple of landing mats. they work great. for those that don't know about landing mats check this out, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marston_Mat . you used to be able to pick them out at surplus stores dirt cheap. highdesertranger

I've seen obvious places where folks have gotten stuck and put down carpet lengths about 3' long, maybe a foot or two wide. They sometimes don't pick up the carpet.

Probably because there will always be another use for 2x PT lumber, even if it's a year later...and it'll still be in good condition. At least, that's been my reasoning for stuff in the past..

All they had was PT in that width so really no choice, but Brad brings up a good point about long term use.

As far as knowing the road ahead, it was a driveway to the house where we are renting for a month.   I went over it with motorcycles with no problem but they didn't break through the 1/2" of sand crust I guess.   I am carrying the boards from now on, at least in Florida and out in the Southwest.