First Post, Need some Input and Idea

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krispychris79

Reaction score
First off let me say Howdy! I know I should have introduced myself in the newcomers corner, but I didnt want to overdo it with posts (immediately) lol

Brief Synopsis: I got into vanning maybe 3 years ago. I picked up an old 83 Chevy G20 on impulse and fell in love with the  van lifestyle. One of our members actually purchased that van a month or so ago. Currently I own a 1989 Chevy g10 Shorty, I found him hanging out at a car lot, looking for a home. 89K miles, Cold AC, maintained fairly well, with no major issues besides the first week of owning it, the heater core went then the heater core housing broke.....when that happened and while I waited to find a housing I decided to rip the interior out and go full speed into converting "LiL Stubbs aka The Vantasy", into a cozy and livable interior.

Upon demolishing the interior, I found out it used to be a plain jane panel van that was converted. They had used household insulation, electrical and duct tape for wiring, and did a piss poor job cutting the support beam to fit the window. The floor was also riddled with holes since it also used to be a handicap equipped van. Oh! and they used some super strength Thors hammer indestructible adhesive to put everything on!!!

The first couple weeks were painful, and not having many tools or any practical hands on experience doing this sort of thing, I read and read various forums and blogs and posts I got him down to bare metal for the most part and began...

I started with filling the holes. My friend gave me his welder but that was overwhelming so I used coins and epoxied them to the holes. I then covered the holes with metallic bondo and sanded them down. I covered those with rustoleum. I then began laying dynamat in the cab part since I had taken the seats out. I then purchased some Noico on amazon which was waaaay cheaper and so far has dampened the noise just fine. I had left over Noico so I plastered it on the walls and the entire floor, with some left for the doors. After I laid the sound deadener, I put some Polyso Board on the walls. I then cut strips and glued them in the grooves of the floor. Then I went a little overboard and began using reflictix type tape to cover the polyiso board I laid in the grooves. My OCD kicked in and I ended up taping the entire floor!!!!!

Yesterday I finally went and bought a saw and two sheets of 3/4in plywood. Some say it might be too thick and I think Im going to agree but I wanted to be certain whatever I bolt to the floor will be sturdy. I saved the old template and cut it using some chairs as a plywood support  (which ended badly, I cut through a chair, which happened to be our dining room chairs...wife isnt happy)

I also purchased some indoor/outdoor carpet from homedepot. It was very thin and I glued it to the wheel well. It came out ok, not perfect but I figure it will be covered by whatever type of bed/couch/entertainment center I plan to build.

Theres my back story and small intro and now my questions, thoughts that I would appreciate feedback on from like minded individuals  :)

1. I cant afford to buy anymore wood but the template wasnt perfect and I have some gaps and in the rear as you can see from the photos there is exposed metal. I bought wood putty and bondo. Im thinking of using one or the other to fill in the gaps and where there are large spots of bare floor, cut some small pieces of wood, lay them in there and then bondo over it.

2. I was going to glue the floor down, or possibly leave it floating but I want it secure, so I tried a couple different type of screws. I went with sheet metal self tapping screws. The test one went right through the metal but didnt secure anything. I could lift the wood right out...What type of screws does everyone recommend.

3. Laminate flooring: I purchased some pergo click flooring and as a test I began laying it out. It says its floating as well but when I put them together they do not stay in place and they bow up...AM I doing something wrong? To be on the safe side should I glue them down?

Annnnd thats it for now. Once the floor is done I will move onto the walls and ceiling. Thanks for listening to my long winded post but I have no one to talk to about this project and its time for some advice.

ps: I also purchased some ACC Carpet for the front of the cab, supposed to lay right in there. I bought the stuff with the mass backing...MISTAKE!!!! that has been a pain in my ass and wont adhere to the floor and required lots of fitting. I got the passenger side in but am waiting until I can have a "pro" install the driver side.

Thanks

Chris

Welcome Chris to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. looking good so far keep those pics coming. highdesertranger

Welcome to the forum...that was a rather entertaining read. Too bad you blew your wood budget on tape, but it looks nice   ;)

1) You'll probably spend more on bondo than wood, but bondo isn't probably the best answer. While it would work fine for fairing the top smooth for flooring to lay, big gops op it underneath will just crack and suck moisture till it's a mess that needs fixed. I'd use an adhesive urethane caulking to glue the wood or rigid foam in place. I recommend Sikaflex 221.

2) Can't see how punching a bunch of screw through the floor of van is going to do you any favors, on top of being overkill. The reason your screw wouldn't hold is because the metal is too thick...look closely at the thread on screw and you'll see the metal has to be thin enough to fit between threads. When the metal is thicker, the screw threads mash in with varying degrees of holding. Anyway, your choices are thru-bolting, adhesive, or floating. Maybe Sikaflex with a few thru-bolts (or bigger thread self tappers) to pull down any high spots. 

3) Cheaper flooring generally has worse locking together than more expensive, but wither way, they all really like flat, consistent subfloors. check if you have humps or dips in the floor. One drawback to 3/4 ply is that it can really have a mind of it's own and be stubborn to flatten out.

Good luck, hope you keep posting pics. I think this thread belongs with the builds in Conversions subforum

Thanks for the replies so far, if this thread needs to be moved, by all means. I am half tempted to bite the bullet and go buy some 1/2 plywood, in terms of leveling, in spots that were slightly off or had no support, I put pieces of wood underneath (temporarily) to ensure proper ht and fit. Based on my level everything is sitting just fine. I will look into that particular adhesive and bolts and maybe do the 4 corners or something. I have 5 days before the new weekend so that gives me plenty of time to figure out some solutions before I begin working on the van again

Thanks

Chris

What you have so far looks pretty good to me, but then again, I'm not there yet LOL... Might want to start a conversion thread and let us oooh and aaah at the pictures over there!!!

(((Waves as the purchaser of the '83 Chevy G20))) Good to see you around, can't wait to see more pics!!! The '83 is still doing great! Hope to post pics when I get things done to her as funds allow. Good luck on your build, she sure is pretty :)

Theadyn said:
(((Waves as the purchaser of the '83 Chevy G20)))   Good to see you around, can't wait to see more pics!!!   The '83 is still doing great!  Hope to post pics when I get things done to her as funds allow.   Good luck on your build, she sure is pretty :)

Glad the 83 is still doing good. I'm looking forward to the weekend so I can continue working on my van. The goal is to get the floor done, I will post pics when finished 

Chris

Hi and welcome.
Trace the cutout's you need on cardboard, transfer them to the plywood. Trace them with a marker and cut them out with a jigsaw.
I would save the bondo for the lving room chair.

Wow--I think it looks really, really great on the outside! This is my very first response or anything else here. Thanks for everyone's sharing! I currently have a Toyota Tundra 2002 4x4 with over 310 k miles and a cargo trailer with the wiring stripped and in need of a replacement fender. I am dreaming of a Chevy cargo van. I am a dog trainer (really, its people training) and I need to be totally stealth and be able to park and sleep anywhere in a city. I have multiple dogs who are (of course) super well trained and extremely quiet. My business is currently in the greater Seattle area but after this ridiculous winter, I am DONE being here from November to April. I love, Love, LOVE my Toyota Tundra 4x4 but it is not at all stealth. And the cargo trailer is in great shape, but not legal to get on the road. I have been dreaming of a Chevy Cargo Van and the life that could go with it for years and years. It is so inspiring to see that folks are buying these older vans and keeping them on the road! They are incredibly expensive! I imagine that the demand for them is skyrocketing with the housing market on the west coast accelerating into outer space! The median price of a home in Seattle is something like $779,000 and in the Bellevue area on the east side the median price is now in the 800,000 range! How can a young person ever make it here? Or some old lady like me trying to start over? I can not wait to get my van!