PSA on stuck in sand in the Anza Borrego area

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qxxx

Reaction score
This is a follow on to a post made elsewhere...
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=28315&pid=474230#pid474230

Once I tried boondocking in an area south of Borrego Springs. I drove into a place found on freecampsites.net and immediately got the RWD GMC van stuck in sand up to the rear axles. And this was "after" I had checked with the host in the CG across the road ... "Oh, it's ok, I just drove my pickup in there yesterday". 

Luckily I was able to rock the van out after a bit of digging. But I needed to go in further to find a place to turn around and got stuck a couple more times. Well, the 6-speed automatic has a "manual" setting, so I put it in manual 3rd gear and was able to turn around and drive back out without bogging the rear wheels again. Them 4.8L V8s got too much torque in 1st gear.

Then I called Palm Springs and said I don't need the $500 tow truck after all (jk).

Do you use sand ladders? I bought some but have not been stuck since.   ~crofter

Qxxx said:
Luckily I was able to rock the van out after a bit of digging. But I needed to go in further to find a place to turn around and got stuck a couple more times.

Did you air down? ~10psi always worked for me.

A decent air pump is the #1 piece of recovery equipment. Heck, even for long stretches of washboard airing down really helps.

Ah no sand ladders, I just stay away from the sand. But I should probably get something for an emergency. I do have good sized air pump in case of misc events. If I ever get stuck again, and low-torque 3rd gear doesn't get me out, I'll remember the bit with the air pressure.

I bought some rubber treads made by goodyear at walmart.
I've never had to use them and hopefully I don't. I also carry a chain come along which is better than nothing and that's only if there's trees or something to hook to.
Idk if I can air down to 10 with my tires. I was told by the tire shop 40 is the lowest without risking the bead popping off.

Hmmm, bead popping off 4 tires doesn't sound good, on top of stuck in sand in the middle of nowheres.  The van does weigh 5,000 pounds plus more with gear, and the tires are not real high ply. And not many trees there either. Sounds like something under the tires is the best solution.