First post

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lost sailor

Reaction score
Currently living in the SW area. Taking care of an elderly parent, and running a (very) small business.
Have a chronic health problem that has slowed me down. Recently been wondering where my life is headed,
and not feeling good about it. Just generally feeling stuck and unhappy. 

Started seeing some stuff on the interwebs about vandwelling. I lived in a '71 microbus for most of a year in my 20s, and I liked it.
I could write quite a bit about that - maybe another time. Then I happened on some of Bob's writings, and videos.
Gotta say, I like your take on things Bob. Especially this video:
"What is the Morality of Living in a Van or RV?" Some of those points really  hit home; that we are "production units" often living like serfs to support out "stuff".
That there's a huge cost to that kind of lifestyle, and a lot of negative impact. That it's ok to want to enjoy your life, and be free.
Sometimes we have to swim against the current of public opinion and do things others might not approve of.

Anyway, I can't leave anytime soon, but I really want to start getting ready. Sell most of my stuff,
eventually sell my place, buy a van, etc. Lots of logistics to figure out, but with the web, there's lots of help.
So, just want to say hi, and thanks to everyone here for helping others, and especially Bob who has done
a huge service to lots of folks looking to escape the rat race.

Welcome. Yes, I was inspired to make the move by Bob's videos too. I had thought about it for many years before but had no idea there were so many people actually living and thriving this way. So, welcome aboard.

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Lost Sailor! There are more than a couple of us here, taking care of our parents and putting things on hold. It's an honor and a privilege,but wearing and emotionally taxing. On the bright side it will give you time to plan and save.

There are also quite a few of us living with chronic health issues. For the most part, I think this lifestyle helps us to be happier and healthier.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome!

I agree with what Cyndi said about taking time to plan. I spent almost a year planning before I hit the road, and I'm glad I did.

Welcome aboard Lost Sailor !
I'm parking as close to my mom's so I can be there 12+hrs a day so know where you're coming from.
You're in the right place to learn anything you need to know about life on the road.

PS. I have an extra map if you need it???????,,,,,,Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

Welcome aboard lost sailor!  I have found lots of awesome people here in just 1 month.  I'm sure you will find the same.  Best of luck with your health, as this is a very important factor in our lives most of us take for granted...  I too cared for an elderly family member.  She was my grandmother with Alzheimer's and let me tell you that was no easy task.

Peace,

Matt

Welcome aboard. Our stories somewhat parallel each other. I had a close brush with death over Thanksgiving and it has left me thinking about my life's direction and how much time I have left. Unfortunately, I have to extricate myself from my current situation before I can go traveling. I have about four years but I will make it. Hopefully we will both have lots of fun in our future.
Bast

Lost sailor, welcome. A lot of us put life on hold to do what is right. When you are able to hit the road, after a short while you may find your attitude, health and happiness picks up fast. You will be able to heal from a lot life has thrown at you after getting rid if your things, going smaller and being able to control what little remains.
Peace.
Dragonfly

Welcome to the CRVL Forum   :) 

it seems like you aren't so alone now as some of the others have identified themselves as looking or having looked after their elderly.   This may be a lifeline for your mind while you're occupied with their care.   Every
caregiver needs some "me time" to get off to themselves and socialize with others to rest and refresh some.

We'll all be here waiting for ya !

eDJ_ said:

it seems like you aren't so alone now as some of the others have identified themselves as looking or having looked after their elderly.   This may be a lifeline for your mind while you're occupied with their care.   Every
caregiver needs some "me time" to get off to themselves and socialize with others to rest and refresh some.

No doubt my man!  Good you see you out and about eDJ!

Peace brother.

Matt

Bast said:
Welcome aboard. Our stories somewhat parallel each other. I had a close brush with death over Thanksgiving and it has left me thinking about my life's direction and how much time I have left. Unfortunately, I have to extricate myself from my current situation before I can go traveling. I have about four years but I will make it. Hopefully we will both have lots of fun in our future.
Bast
My friend's dad found a bottled water on his desk one morning recently, and had a sip. It was cleaning fluid. An employee had re-filled the bottle with it. A few hours later, he was dead : (   Carpe Diem
dragonflyinthesky said:
Lost sailor, welcome. A lot of us put life on hold to do what is right. When you are able to hit the road, after a short while you may find your attitude, health and happiness picks up fast. You will be able to heal from a lot life has thrown at you after getting rid if your things, going smaller and being able to control what little remains.
Peace.
Dragonfly
Yeah. I had a busy time the last few days, hopefully can get going again soon.
eDJ_ said:

Thanks!

Welcome! I went through this with my father in law, but there weren 3 of us (MIL, ex wife (not ex at the time) and me, still a hard row to hoe

Welcome! This is the best place to learn and plan everything out before you take the plunge. I have learned so much here in the last six months and it helps me stay motivated to make this happen.

It will happen for you when the time is right. :)

Latest posts