First post. Need help :) Dodge conversion van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYChaos

Reaction score
Hi guys. Thinking about getting a van for camping / possible full time living. 

Here is the van I am interested in

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/5113481924.html

I have no idea if those vans are actually reliable, not sure if this price is decent for this particular model. 

I am here asking for help from people with experience or knowledge about those vans. 

Any advice/ information will be greatly appreciated. I am very much a newbie when it comes to van living, but am very interested in breaking free from the daily rouine :)

Thank you in advance guys and gals

Tim

Welcome, NYChaos!  

I am pretty new here myself, but you can find a wealth of information by searching a topic and reading all the different posts.  

The link you provided seems to be an ad for a Prius, but your thread title is about a Dodge conversion van.  If you recheck your link and post the one for the Dodge van you're considering, you will probably get some very good advice.  

If you actually are thinking about a Prius, you can find a lot of information on Suanne's blog:  http://suanneonline.blogspot.com/p/why-prius-rv.html

Best of luck with your plans for escaping the daily routine!

RobBob

There are likely more Dodge Conversion vans still on the road than any other of the big 3 Automakers.

But your link is not for a Dodge.

yeah we need to hear from the original poster. I want to add in that link for the prius it said salvage title but no frame damage, hahaha. a prius doesn't even have a frame it's a unibody. highdesertranger

very low mileage for a dodge. Just broke in. The largest unfix able problem with dodge vans is the uni-body type construction. Rust will kill the suspension attachments. Should not be a problem on the west coast, but do check. Go buy it.

That does seem like a lot of $$ for a 2000 model year Van.  But it beats spending 3K on a Van, then paying 2500 for a new transmission then 20K later needing to rebuild the engine

It is low mileage and is a desert vehicle and as such should not have any rust issues.

I dislike conversion van interiors for their huge amount of wasted space, but that is nothing that can't be modified.

I love having a raised fiberglass roof.  I cannot stand in it, but if I did not have it it would be very unpleasant inside with 3 surfboards strapped to my ceiling.  I Gutted the whole frou frou interior within the first year for maximum interior space.

Should be a good vehicle is it is mechanically sound

I like the widened Van in the link OG24/7 found.  That would be an awesome project vehicle for a dweller who could afford various mechanical issues surely to crop up.

Not a Full size Van, only Minivans.

Either A typo or seller ignorance.

Yes it's low miles but too much $$. No more than $4.5K. If he can sell it for $6, good for him. You'll have a lot of rubber items that are all cracked and dried up to replace. I notice he didn't talk about maintenance except for oil changes. I'd wager that belts, hoses, rubber lines, bushings all need to be replaced. What about fluids like trains, coolant, rear end? Plug wires original?Maybe tires if they are dry rotted. Then you'd have $8K in it...

Keep looking, in my opinion. Also read about Dodge front ends. They are not problem free either.

dusty98 said:
Yes it's low miles but too much $$.  No more than $4.5K.  If he can sell it for $6, good for him.  You'll have a lot of rubber items that are all cracked and dried up to replace.  I notice he didn't talk about maintenance except for oil changes.  I'd wager that belts, hoses, rubber lines, bushings all need to be replaced.  What about fluids like trains, coolant, rear end?  Plug wires original?Maybe tires if they are dry rotted.  Then you'd have $8K in it...

Keep looking, in my opinion.  Also read about Dodge front ends.  They are problem free either.

Maybe, maybe not!

I agree that it's way too much money for the vehicle, no matter where it is. And even $4.5 K may be a bit high depending on the local market.

I took a chance on my 2002 with 62,000 miles on it, knowing that I might be putting a couple of grand in to it. Rubber was fine except for the tires which were OEM but I knew about them the minute I looked at the van. Sometimes owners don't think to mention things they did more than a year or so before putting it up for sale.

Aside from price, which is way too high, a low mileage van is worth at least looking at. But then I know nothing about Dodge and any front end problems.

It's true that documented low miles is good for engine and probably tranny, as well as peripheral engine accessories. Run an Auto Check or Carfax to see if mileage can be proven.

Vehicles that sit develop issues, brake fluid absorbs moisture, tranny fluid gets condensation, seals dry up and leak. Not always but it happens. Brake lines can corrode. Nothing beats a thorough inspection. I've looked at dozens of rv's for sale over the years with 10 plus year old tires. All most ignorant owners think about is the tread depth. Never mind the cracks in the sidewalls that you could poke a screwdriver into...

I was followed by a guy towing a pop up trailer for a couple hundred miles. We both stopped for gas at the same place. I congratulated him on the appearance of the trailer. He said he just bought it a week earlier from the original owner who had kept it garaged for 10 years. Then he said he had 2 tires blow out within 50 miles of leaving and the right side wheel brakes seized up. He had to get it flatbed towed, lost 3 days of his vacation and spent about $1500 getting it fixed. He didn't know about age issues and the seller either didn't know or didn't care.
Get it inspected.

Well,

Took a day off to look at the van today. Drove for over 30 miles to look at it, and when I was 15 minutes away from the destination, the guy called me to tell me that the Van has been sold.

Prior to that he promised me that I will be the first person to look at the van, and he did not have it until 2:30 pm today (the time we were supposed to meet).

He told me that someone else offered him a little more money, and he is at the bank. 

I took a day off, lost about 300 bucks, drove for 30 miles, and that a-hole could not even call me in advance. Amazing :)

Oh well, I guess it was not meant to be... /sigh...

I would be pissed off. I hope you let him know, in a civil way of course. highdesertranger