First Post Introduction

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrayCatt

Reaction score
Hello Van Dwelling Community!  :shy:

I moved to Chicago in July 2014 after my divorce looking for a new life adventure. I found a small (180 sq. ft.) studio apartment that I could afford and have been mostly happy there. The problem is I'm not having any adventures; I work, come to my tiny home and look out my only two windows with a view of a brick wall 10' away. 
I'm seriously considering van life as a way to reduce my costs, save, and pay off bills; but mostly to have an adventure exploring the city of Chicago. 
I'm drawn to the Ford Transit Connect 2010 - 2013 years for its affordability, gas economy, and stealthiness since I would be an urban van dweller.
I have a background in design and in the past have built my own furniture so the build out is not an issue for me. Right now I just need to find a van I can afford to live out of that is reliable.

Welcome to the CRVL forums StrayCatt!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

StrayCatt said:
I found a small (180 sq. ft.) studio apartment that I could afford and have been mostly happy there. The problem is I'm not having any adventures; I work, come to my tiny home and look out my only two windows with a view of a brick wall 10' away. 

Sounds like prison.

Good luck in your search for a mobile solution.

Welcome Catt... may you be blessed with exactly the vehicle you're looking for, so you can get on with a better life ahead.

StrayCatt said:
Hello Van Dwelling Community!  :shy:

I moved to Chicago in July 2014 after my divorce looking for a new life adventure. I found a small (180 sq. ft.) studio apartment that I could afford and have been mostly happy there. The problem is I'm not having any adventures; I work, come to my tiny home and look out my only two windows with a view of a brick wall 10' away. 
I'm seriously considering van life as a way to reduce my costs, save, and pay off bills; but mostly to have an adventure exploring the city of Chicago. 
I'm drawn to the Ford Transit Connect 2010 - 2013 years for its affordability, gas economy, and stealthiness since I would be an urban van dweller.
I have a background in design and in the past have built my own furniture so the build out is not an issue for me. Right now I just need to find a van I can afford to live out of that is reliable.

You sound just like me. Divorce, cheap studio apartment and now thinking about boondocking.

I am getting on the road around the beginning of August and looked seriously at a Transit for all the same reasons. My friends son is a mechanic at a Ford dealership and told me no. They are a pain to work on and break easy. I hadn't found anyone complaining about their Transit, but, I am getting a truck that he recommended (F150) and one that he would work on. He told me to get a topper for the truck and I will get a toy hauler as well. Good luck.

Might want to check into at least a 3/4 ton if loading the topper and pulling a toy hauler. At least check towing weights and tongue weights and get the factory tow package.

Thanks for the heads up Bullfrog. I will add that to my list of needs. I'm going tomorrow, to the dealership.