Finding Van Dwellers in Chicago

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paula

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Paula.  I anticipate living in a van within 2 years after my mother passes away.  I'm trying to find other Van Dwellers in the Chicago area who are able to do so successfully.   I wish to meet up with these folks, see what vehicles they've been able to adapt, how they've done so, how they've stayed out of the hairs of the police, stayed warm, found parking, etc.    So far, I see a lot of vans around but I have no idea if they are van dwellers and so far haven't had the guts to just come out and ask someone in a parking lot or other.    It looks like there are probably a lot around but, being stealth, they may not want to be bothered by a newbie.   Any advice on how to find folks in Chicago is appreciated.

Good luck and welcome. I would not want to try Chicago or NYC. Way too cold and too many people imho.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Paula!  Looking at all of your options now before you are actually vandwelling is a good idea. The biggest problem will probably be staying warm enough through the winter. Many of us are retired and just head south for the winter. Others who are still working relocate to a warmer climate but there are some who must stay in the north. Hopefully they'll chime in with ideas for you. In the meantime try asking on this facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/380963651973080/

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I figured I'd use a space heater if it can plug into an outlet but maybe that wouldn't work. Figured I would stay in the Chicago area for work opportunities and to be closer to other family members. Thank you again. I'll check out your links.

If you insulate your van enough, it's actually fairly easy to heat it and keep it warm. If you have access to shore power, it's very easy.

The key is in the insulation, otherwise all the heat you create just floods out through the steel and glass which have extremely low R-value.

Finding a place to park is harder than staying warm Your best bet is to run an ad on Craiglslist and advertise for a driveway to stay in and offer them $100 just to let you park in it overnight--you'll be gone during the day. Chances are pretty good you'll find something! With a little luck, they'll let you run an extension cord for another $50 or so.
Bob

Thank you. I figured I would buy an old shell, use styrofoam and Reflectix inside but first would have to run a solar panel for electric and then just use an oil space heater that I already have. Most afraid of being stealth, but others have talked about renting a driveway. I would like to avoid that due to no income yet, but I don't know how much ticketing is in Chicago for living in your van and I heard once you're caught, then you're always in their system, so yeah, I guess renting makes the most sense. Thanks so much again.

Paula said:
Hello Paula, Just checking in to see if you have found the answers you were seeking. Also curious where you are in your life journey. I'm in a nearby Chicagoland county and once I am in a van, I'm leaving the area (destination unknown) ... as the local laws for parking are IMPOSSIBLE. If your vehicle looks remotely commercial (plain stealth van) it must be garaged or kept at the business (if legit biz van). Local municipality laws also stipulate no over night street parking (including lots), and no RVs (including Class B vans) parked in driveways for extended time. The storage facilities around here are making bank with all the RVs and vans they house during the non-traditional camping months. Camping around here is $PRICEY$ and only open to the public for 3-5 warm months depending on where you go. Hope all is well!

Hey, If anyone lives in the St Charles IL area, hit me up! Lets shoot BB guns, play music, cook soup, and drink beer somewhere! Livin in my minivan currently.