finding swivel seat base

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pchs72

Reaction score
I have a 2009 Chevy Express Extended.  I have been trying to find a good quality swivel seat base for the passenger side.  I have found a variety of options that appear to be the right thing but I don't exactly understand the information I am looking at.   Can someone explain to me the best way to know I have found what I need when I am reading these website or ebay sales listings?

I would love to be able to do this on my own.  But I would maybe be just as happy for some direct links to exactly what I need so I can get this part done.  My almost no-build build is almost done.  i intend to use the passenger seat after it can swivel as the primary chair when I am parked.

Thanks!

I've seen people just turn around the passenger seat

You need to measure the floor bolt spacing and the seat bolt spacing. That will give you the information you need to make a decision.

The only difference (besides height) that I was seeing was if it had factory seats or aftermarket. The bolt hole dimensions were given for them. That is why I say measure what you have and then compare it to what they are selling.

VANCITY VANLIFE just did a video on adding a sewivel ...He covers why not to buy a cheep swivel .
I found a used one for $50 that fit my E-150 van...it came out of a Dodge
be aware that the swivels are interchangeable , the one i got had holes in it that were marked for chevy ford and dodge

Note ; you will love the extra space the swivel gives you .

My Express has custom seats on a power base.  The bolt pattern is not standard, and when I finally found something that could work, it would have raised the seat too high for my spouse.  There would have been very little clearance to rotate the seat, necessitating that the door be opened.  There were also possible complications with the air bag wiring, which I did not want to damage.

The space would be more welcome than ever now, and I may look into it again.  Hope you find what you need!

Sofisintown said:
This should fit. It is made for Chevy Express and GMC Savanas from 1996 and up.
https://shop4seats.com/van-seats/va...es/96-gmc-chevy-aftermarket-seat-adapter.html
Like Sofi said , 
There're super heavy duty Got mine at a labor day sale , I'll include a couple of pics of my seat base mod (cut 1 5/8 in out) to keep seat at factory height & added a 10in 4 wire coil for my seat belt and air bag , I've seen where some have ran the seat wires through the center bolt , But I didn't think much that . Also you'll have to open the door to spin the seat , one more thing , The release leaver sticks way out , I cut 3in off and bent it into a u (works perfect) ,

Attachments

• 20180606_143251 (3).jpg
    20180606_143251 (3).jpg
    86 KB · Views: 6
  • 20180714_140616 (2).jpg
    20180714_140616 (2).jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 6
  • thumbnail (4).jpg
    thumbnail (4).jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 8
Thank you all for your responses.  I am sorry it took me a while to get back here.  One of my cats had to be euthanized and I am just coming back around to online functions.

I am indeed wanting to be a sturdy version and greatly appreciate the link and reference to the Shop4Seats website.  I had been looking at those but wasn't really sure I knew what I was looking at.  I will also check the bolt spacing and measurements.

When these listings mention "not approved for seats with air bags" do you know what that actually means?  Is there a safety issue if the seat on one of these swivel bases is facing forward and the air bag deploys?  I would not be driving with person nor pet when in the reversed position, so that is not an issue regarding the air bag function.  Curious to know if there is a concern I am not thinking about created by the swivel base.

Yes, the extra space and comfort will be a big bonus when the passenger seat can swivel.  I had a 60 inch (five foot) sink unit with lots of counter space installed just behind the driver's seat and across from the side barn doors.  I have left all that space in front of it open to create a kitchen and living room (and office) situation. 

Again, many thanks.  Love this forum.

Debbie

Most air bag systems have sensors in the seats to tell if they are occupied. Disconnect the seat sensor and get a dash warning and the air bag probably won't deploy (nobody in the seat). Connect it and swivel the seat too many times in the same direction and the wiring will rip out. The lawyers always have a say.

hello to all
I'm looking for a 2005 ford e-150 passenger side swivel seat base, I was trying to purchase one on shop4seats.com but they wont have any until after august 2021 and I read bad reviews about discountvantrucks.com, does anyone know any other places where I can buy one new or used?
please let me know.
Miguelangelo