Finding Someone To Install Electrical System

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaron_c

Reaction score
Hi

So I'm about to get a cargo trailer that I'm converting into living space and the most confounding part of it all is doing the electrical.  I've spent months looking into doing it myself, but when it comes down to it I'm wondering if I'd be better off hiring someone to do the work, since then I wouldn't have to buy all these extra tools.  However I'm not sure where to look for people to do this, particularly people who specialize in van or trailer conversions.  Where should I be looking?

Can't tell you where to look, sorry.

I'll just give my strong advice that you learn it and do it yourself. It isn't as confusing as it initially sounds if you go about it systematically and carefully and ask lots of questions / do lots of research.

The giant plus to doing it yourself is then you will know where EVERY SINGLE WIRE goes and what its purpose is... if someone else does it and you have to repair / add on to something you won't know anything about what they did and will have to figure out their stuff from scratch. Plus if you do it yourself then you'll have all the tools you need to repair as well.

The big downside to having someone else do it is there are lots of "oh yeah, I know how to wire 12v" type people out there who probably have less of a clue what they're doing than you do. It's not like hiring a licensed electrician to work on your house.

My two cents, worth less than that ;-)

What exactly are you looking to do? Just DC? DC & AC? Solar? What are your power needs going to be like (i.e. how heavy duty of a system are you planning on building)?

Hmm...good advice bass_sears. That's true about the advantage of DIYing it. I guess I was a bit gun-shy because I have a history of buying a bunch of tools to DIY something and then never using those tools again. And as I'll be traveling, I won't have a lot of room for a lot of tools. So it made some sense to have someone else do it just because then I wouldn't have to buy all the tools.

But you're right, there's a huge plus to knowing where everything is and why it's there. And being able to diagnose a problem on my own. Hopefully.

The system won't be TOO heavy duty...by which I mean 400 AH 12V battery bank with 2000 w inverter, 90-100 A of shore power charging capacity and an unknown number of solar panels, maybe 4-8. Most of the appliances will be DC, and the AC will be used very sparingly.

The tools aren't bad... ability to cleanly strip wires of various sizes, a good crimper for 10ga and smaller, and a cheapo hammer crimper for large crimps for battery interconnects. Everything else is supplies you'll need regardless (wire, crimps, fuse holders etc etc).

Google around and look for a schematic that shows a mixed AC/DC system for an RV, they have to be out there... this one is decent:
https://www.rv-insight.com/RV-Electricity.html

Once you get the big picture from a schematic then start drawing your own and specifying all the little details (fuses, bus bars, interconnects etc)

-- Bass

I had done the same thing, looked around to find someone on you tube who has done an electrical van build. The ones I have watched involved AC/DC/Solar power. They installed converter, charger, 12v fuse box, main fuse breaker, an inverter.....blah, blah, blah. Tying this into that, and even connecting it to your car alternator to charge the battery while traveling. They were all too confusing for me. Why do you need so much stuff?? I have searched but have not found a good video of a very, very basic system install. For example, I wanted to connect a battery to run the ceiling fan, outlet plug with a cigarette plug and USB plug, and a ceiling light. Why would I need a converter, inverter, ect.?

first off, Where are you?

JiminDenver does really good work. but I agree the more you do yourself the better off you are.

highdesertranger

There are suppliers that will make up large, 10 to 4/0, awg cables to your measurements. The smaller, 22 to 10 awg are easily cut and crimped with minimal cost in tools. The devices that need installation require normal hand tools such as drill/driver, hand screw driver, wrench set and such as most should have anyway. Back then. My first build was with an electric drill, Yankee screwdriver, hammer and a carpenters hand saw. I have since added to my kit. :)

[quote="Tony']
I had done the same thing, looked around to find someone on you tube who has done an electrical van build. The ones I have watched involved AC/DC/Solar power. They installed converter, charger, 12v fuse box, main fuse breaker, an inverter.....blah, blah, blah. Tying this into that, and even connecting it to your car alternator to charge the battery while traveling. They were all too confusing for me. Why do you need so much stuff??[/quote]

Depends on your needs. If you are minimalist, have access to public systems, or are just a weekend warrior who wants to go basic, none of the additional complexity is required.
If you have the need for refrigeration, heat, or multiple electrical systems (even a ham radio can drag a battery down pretty quickly if you are chewing the rag for a while) and don't like to jumpstart your rig, self-sufficiency when it comes to electrons is nice. Batteries like to stay full vs discharged, keeping the juice flowing in helps with battery longevity - both in keeping devices working and being able to last more than a season before replacement.

[quote="Tony']I have searched but have not found a good video of a very, very basic system install. For example, I wanted to connect a battery to run the ceiling fan, outlet plug with a cigarette plug and USB plug, and a ceiling light. Why would I need a converter, inverter, ect.?
[/quote]

Biggest draw would be the fan (4-7amps on high) depending on the size, brand, and efficiency. Simple electrical system would be a house battery, isolator, simple fuse panel, and associated outlets\devices. Would probably work fine if you move frequently and\or drive for extended periods between parking. It can take 5-7 hours for an alternator to charge up the battery. If you want to sit in one spot for a week, I'd recommend some sort of charging ability. If you are moving every day, have the coin for something like a Jackery, or regular access to shore power, basic would probably cover your needs.

For me a simple system was to use all Ryobi one system 18 volt lights, fans, power station and tools charged by their vehicle charger connected to a house battery which I was able to connect easily when driving and disconnect when parked. I later added a portable solar system to charge the house battery on days I did not drive at least 4 hours to fully charge the house battery as well as the Ryobi batteries. I carried a jump pack just in case I forgot to disconnect the house battery when parked or needed extra battery power storage. It worked well and batteries have lasted years before needing replacement as well as being cheaper to buy than the power packs were. It still is expensive for me but was able to be bought a little at a time. If you buy at Home Depot with their card and warranties which you will eventually need as their tools are not always the highest quality, replacement can be done easily and quickly anywhere in the country where there is a Home Depot.

I have had some electrical work done by an independent shop that does electrical work on vehicles.

They were very reasonable in price.

If you decide you need someone else to do it, might look up these types of places, go by and talk with the boss about what you need done.

If they can’t help you, ask if they can recommend someone who can.

I have had very good results this way, and am able to use independent small business owners.