Finding more cubic space

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grandpa pete

Reaction score
I am working on a 2001 Ford van . After building out the interior I was looking for more small spaces to store anything I wanted .
I took the door panel off the side door and found 3 3/4 inches of useable space inside the door.....I cut a piece out of the inner door metal 14 x 17 inches and framed it out with 1x4 lumber...I cut a new door panel to fit and now have an inside trash can that can be accessed from the outside when the door is open .
I also cut into the other side door and got enough room to put a fold down singe burner butane stove IN the door .
I got two smaller shelf units out of the drivers side rear door ( I stretched elastic netting across the bottom 2/3 of the openings to keep shelf contents in place )
The passenger side rear door has a recessed licence plate that takes up all the interior space .
I hope this helps someone else who hasn't thought of this …..

can anyone please refer me to where I go to learn how to post photos on this site.....WARNING ; old guy ( technically challenged ) needs simple instructions :)

Cool van hacking - thanks! :)

There's a "How-To Tutorials" sub-forum, however they've cunningly nested it under something else, so it's truly non-obvious:
https://vanlivingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=54

Here's the picture posting tutorial:
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=13285
A lot of people have had difficulty posting pics, so it really is confusing!
Please take your time, and if you get stuck, take a break, have something to eat or drink (caffeine!), and try again later. It's not you, it's the forum software.

I'm looking forward to pics of your discoveries. :)

Don't forget about overhead, hanging storage that can done with cargo nets. I would also eliminate the passenger seat, and have the drivers seat on a swivel. An ARB outdoor awning will give you some outside shade, but I think the best idea is to get a CLAM escape screen room to set up a kitchen/lounge area.

HI....very cool on using all available space!! I like it!

I agree, never forget roof cargo net space.

a few strategically placed hooks for hanging things in those small unused vertical spots

put carrier holders on the back of your seats. another pouch to hold something.

Those hanging shoe storage items are great for storing small things vertically, and can be purchased in colors/patterns or more neutral colors.

If too large for your space, they can be cut in half.

I have a pretty, patterned one mounted with large suction cups on the bathroom wall behind the toilet in my class B, and it stores all manner of toiletries and personal items.

I have a Ford van as well.... was going to stuff insulation in the doors, but maybe I'll take your route and use them for storage instead. Great idea!

some doors ( usually with windows or trim strips ) allow water to drip inside door -
make sure to look inside door for signs of previous water

You get more space to your side doors by making a simple rectangle box made out of 1X4's and a piece if plywood (stained and finished for better look and longevity) for a drop down door supported with small chain. I did this on my old '77 Dodge van. I even spaced another 1X4 above the box that had holes cut for holding drinks.

These are good ideas, but I would possibly say one thing to people starting with van builds. I just do part time, but found that the most significant thing in regards enjoyability was to not build in so much stuff that it made the open floor space become too tiny. If it's too small, you feel very cramped inside the van, especially if having to sit in there for a few days during bad weather.

I have 3'x6' of open floor space, plus about 1/2 that again right next to the side doors. In my original build I had only 3'x3' total open floorspace, and it drove me about crazy to stay inside. The big thing was moving the twin-mattress (38"x74") from along the side to across the back over the wheel wells, which can be done if you don't install panelling back there.

The box I built on my door only covered the door step area and maybe an inch of the van floor itself. Maybe not even that as it has been too long and my memory is getting fuzzy. The drink holder on top came in handy when sitting inside too.