Financial Help

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OutdoorFT

Reaction score
This may be a weird or uneasy topic for some, but I am not one to give money away to strangera. Christmas time Ill always fill the red tubs for Rescue Mission with change or give away old clothes I no longer need. However, after reading the struggles here from many, many members, it makes me feel like I could do something to help. I make good money with a nice safety net while others here are struggling with payments or getting kicked out. 

Since I am unsure when/if Ill be able to get out on the road, Im financially secure, even with my recent health issues. So what I wanted to do, with no obligations from anyone (and if its okay with Bob Wells), Id like to help with the ones really struggling. The details would be strictly through PMs, but Id like to help others.

I know not everyone wants to or can afford to it, but since I can Id like to give others a helping hand.

How very generous of you. Thank you.

I'd suggest you just keep an eye out and look for folks that might use the money properly. Then contact them privately by PM.

An open invite seems like trouble to me.

2 cents

Thank you again.

That would be a fine gesture and I've thought about that myself, although my help would more likely be with (light) mechanical or conversion help. Many folks, I think, would caution you against scams I'm sure.

Some of the dire situations I see on here might be helped by doing a Go Fund Me thing. I've no experience with that but maybe some on the forum could chime in.

It's a great idea if vetting happens. We are all looking at a screen.

GoFundMe takes 8%

Putts said:
How very generous of you. Thank you.

I'd suggest you just keep an eye out and look for folks that might use the money properly. Then contact them privately by PM.

An open invite seems like trouble to me.

2 cents

Thank you again.

thats exactly what ill be doing. Ill be contacting them based on what I see. If someone contacts me (unless Ive seen otherwise) most likely wont receove any help.

slow2day said:
That would be a fine gesture and I've thought about that myself, although my help would more likely be with (light) mechanical or conversion help. Many folks, I think, would caution you against scams I'm sure.

Some of the dire situations I see on here could maybe helped by doing a GoFundMe thing. I've no experience with that but maybe some on the forum could chime in.
I even have ample canned food or other long term storage food Id be willing to ship on my dime if food costs were an issue. Of course there will be scammers. No matter what topic or industry, they are present.

Perhaps instead of money, I could buy a product and have it shipped to a member who needs it. It avoid the money scammers but someone will still benefit.

It's a beautiful idea, kudos to you for stepping up and offering assistance.

Years ago we started doing something similar instead of the corporate donations that help a non-profit CEO make 100-300K a year. We hear of a need and do what we can to help, face to face; might be helping someone buy a pair of glasses, or with a medical bill, or even just a meal if they're lonely and need some company.

Thanks Queen. Maybe you guys can help me make a list for general items most would benefit from that are in situations where money is tight.

Like food obviously. But maybe items thatd benefit from living in a vehicle. Or help prepare for having to live out of a car or something. Ive never done it so I dont know the specifics.

OutdoorFT, that's so kind of you. Please be careful.

Gofundme campaigns are only allowed with Bob's approval

Seems like more needy folks on this forum as it grows. I donate to known charities and don't offer hand outs. This year I am focused on animal rescue and community food banks. By doing that, I don't have to question the need.

^^^
Thank you for your generosity. Your messages remind me of Bob's earliest posts. He specifically recalled feeling moved to action when, living on the road in Alaska, he saw a woman next door, also living on the road, who was trying to keep her kids warm. He can correct me as needed, but his point was that what moved him to initiate this site was seeing others struggling and wanting to provide assistance in the form of whatever tools he could offer so they could better fend for themselves.

Whether it was in the form of cash, information, encoragement, actual physical tools, access to services and  knowledgable people, affordable prices or electronic access to all of these, Bob's focus was a helping hand - no more, no less. You and Bob seem to be on the same wavelength. 

Vanna

Dehydrated food (like Mountain House or Wise Foods) is a bit expensive to buy, but its fairly cheap to ship, and a solo person can live for maybe 2 weeks to a month from one large bucket of entree pouches.

That would save them a lot of money!

All you do is boil water and pour it into the bag...then seal it...in 5 or 10 minutes you have a meal.

Is it gourmet food? Nope. But its not bad...most of them are about as tasty as what you would heat out of a can. 

My only caution is that, maybe, some recipients might just spend the money they 'saved' by buying other items instead....you know...smokes, beer...whatever.

It's sure a generous offer...just be careful!

Yup I got plenty of mountain house. And for what it is..its damn good. Of course I wpuldnt happen just anyone who said oh i cant pay this or that. Itd be bit more in depth than that to keep out the ones who want freebies.

I hope it works out and you get to help some folks through hard times.

Another use for the term "If it feels good , do it "!

Very nice of you to offer financial support to those in need. One of my good friends adopted two kids years ago and ever since then he's been involved in a program run by the state's department of child services. Lots of kids in Foster homes get no Christmas presents or very few. So long story short, people willing to fill a kid(s) Christmas list an do so. I do a few lists every Christmas and also donate to a local animal rescue/rehabilitation center. They have a wishlist on Amazon and you can pick the items they need and have them sent directly to them. I'll send them stuff 3 or 4 times a year when I'm buying some stuff I need on Amazon.