Finaly Ready to Start on Astro Camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattkcc

Reaction score
Was going to get started on Camper Van Project last Fall however, back surgery got in the way. Went in for the surgery and a  1-2 night stay ended up with four days of hell and two additional surgeries, stay away from teaching hospitals, will need another surgery in July. I've decided on an Astro/Safari rather then full size just easier for me to handle at this point. I found a low mileage work van that looks good the one thing I'm stuck on is the roof. With the lack on head space I can see my head bumped regularly. I would like to use a soft material rather then wood paneling. I'm thinking about using foam board, padding then a heavy duty fabric. Any ideas or done something similar? I want to keep it simple I'm going to start with a cot rather then a bed, just can't build much right now but tired of sitting around the house and want to hit the road.

I've never done a soft ceiling, but I think I would try and go about it this way. First fill in between the ribs with polyiso, gluing it to the sheet metal. Next, glue thin foam camping pads over the whole ceiling - will pad and add a little more insulation. You'll have to read the cans of spray glue to see which would be appropriate to glue the close cell foam to the polyiso. Then glue your fabric of choice over the whole thing. I would probably add a thin wood strip over each roof rib, with screws going through the whole assembly into the metal rib. That way if some of the glue starts to let go due to heat/cool cycles etc... the whole thing will still stay in place.

masterplumber said:
I've never done a soft ceiling, but I think I would try and go about it this way. First fill in between the ribs with polyiso, gluing it to the sheet metal. Next, glue thin foam camping pads over the whole ceiling - will pad and add a little more insulation. You'll have to read the cans of spray glue to see which would be appropriate to glue the close cell foam to the polyiso. Then glue your fabric of choice over the whole thing. I would probably add a thin wood strip over each roof rib, with screws going through the whole assembly into the metal rib. That way if some of the glue starts to let go due to heat/cool cycles etc... the whole thing will still stay in place.

I think this is a great idea. Those closed cell phone sleeping pads will add a lot of insulation!
Bob

Congrats on the new adventure, and good luck with your ceiling venture.

One thing you should do right away is change your fuel pump (they are known to go out-get an AC Delco) and fuel filter. Service place will charge from $600-over $900 to do it. Watch videos and DYI and drop the tank, or do the shortcut (many videos etc -Google it) and cut a hole in the floor before you build stuff, and leave yourself access to it.

Photo of my cut job I just did...

TequilaSunSet said:
Congrats on the new adventure, and good luck with your ceiling venture.

One thing you should do right away is change your fuel pump (they are known to go out-get an AC Delco) and fuel filter. Service place will charge from $600-over $900 to do it. Watch videos and DYI and drop the tank, or do the shortcut (many videos etc -Google it) and cut a hole in the floor before you build stuff, and leave yourself access to it.

Photo of my cut job I just did...

I would definitely chose to cut the floor much easier on my back.

Maybe look into speaker box carpeting(not sure if it has a brand name).  It's really resistant to stains, easy to deal with, looks good, and should offer insulation.  It's not as thick as other options if you have limited head room.

Mattkcc said:
I would definitely chose to cut the floor much easier on my back.
Make sure to keep a good amount of fuel in your tank (try not to run to near empty all the time). That fuel pump I believe relies on the gas to keep it cool. The pumps will last much longer. 
Be careful if your cutting that access hatch, the fuel lines and tank are right there.

Raven+Squid said:
Make sure to keep a good amount of fuel in your tank (try not to run to near empty all the time). That fuel pump I believe relies on the gas to keep it cool. The pumps will last much longer. 
Be careful if your cutting that access hatch, the fuel lines and tank are right there.

The way I cut my floor adds time but its a clean cut reducing sparks and less chance of cutting a line... and with fewer chances of going KABOOM :)

Drilled small holes in corners of square cut, used my dremel to make a cut big enough for a metal hacksaw blade to slide in. I scored the cuts lines all the way around with my dremel, giving me a much thinner metal to cut through with the blade. I then used the hacksaw blade by hand making short pulling strokes (depending on which way you have the teeth) 

I only cut 3 sides of the square, leaving the one side intact and it acted like a hinge, and it closes up nicely. Now jut have to attach some tabs that fit into the lower part of the ribbed floor so I can fasten it closed... then add some silicone, finally cutting a slightly larger opening in my wood floor for access. This will all be under my bed/bench/storage that I will be making.

Is it possible to reach the fuel pump from underneath , I could pack wet rags around the fuel pump and lines. The hack saw method sounds safest.

Mattkcc said:
Is it possible to reach the fuel pump from underneath , I could pack wet rags around the fuel pump and lines. The hack saw method sounds safest.

There are 3 options (Fuel pump is mounted in the top of the tank)

Option 1
Disconnect lines and fuel inlet, remove straps and drop the tank etc...

Option 2
Make opening in van floor to access fuel pump

Option 3
Do option 1, then do option 2 for future access.

TequilaSunSet said:
There are 3 options (Fuel pump is mounted in the top of the tank)

Option 1
Disconnect lines and fuel inlet, remove straps and drop the tank etc...

Option 2
Make opening in van floor to access fuel pump

Option 3
Do option 1, then do option 2 for future access.

I like option three I'm not going to do a full conversion until my back gets stronger, hopefully. Travel is going to be within 2-3 hour drives.

if you have a bad back better make sure your gas tank is empty before you try to drop it. this is another newer vehicle headache. especially if you have a full tank of gas and are in the middle of nowhere. highdesertranger

Would an external, inline electric pump using the old pump's plumbing be a good alternative for easier repair?