Finally !!! I will be getting some $$$ help.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are absolutely correct.  That is my plan.  Will build a little emergency fund, tie up a couple loose ends, finish preping the vehicle and roll.

being unchained from some crap in life that can burden all of us and keep us tied to one spot.....you do sound like you are chomping at the bit to hit the open road! :) :) can't wait to hear of your adventures. Be sure to post some so we know what you are up to and doing well!!

My wife (well exwife as a week ago) and I took us 2 years of lawyer fights and 1 prior year before the lawyer to get her SSDI with not being able to work at anything. She did get a decent back pay but it was torture jumping thru those hoops. I am finding that I now am just starting the process. I have called SSDI and they told me to not even apply until Ive been unemployed for one year. Any comments on that? Should I apply anyway get the automatic denial and then lawyer up? Suggestions helpful. Definitely not looking forward to doing this without support at home.

alaskabear99687 said:
My wife (well exwife as a week ago) and I took us 2 years of lawyer fights and 1 prior year before the lawyer to get her SSDI with not being able to work at anything. She did get a decent back pay but it was torture jumping thru those hoops. I am finding that I now am just starting the process. I have called SSDI and they told me to not even apply until Ive been unemployed for one year. Any comments on that? Should I apply anyway get the automatic denial and then lawyer up? Suggestions helpful. Definitely not looking forward to doing this without support at home.

I applied the day after I stopped working. I was approved on my first try. No lawyer. No nonsense. I was approved right away.

What I did:
I sent copies of all my medical records to SS.

I called my congressman and told his office that I would be sick and homeless if I was denied, the office is required to help with constituent issues. My congressman’s office had my claim moved to another state that was moving through applications quickly. They called me every week to check up on me.

I got a letter from my previous employer explaining why I couldn’t work anymore.

I got the name of the case worker whose desk my file landed on and called and introduced myself. I had a lovely conversation with her and told her to call with any questions.

I made sure my doctors were on board with the decision.

And there you have it. This is what worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still waiting for my letter since the hearings are complete.  The internet says it takes about 2 weeks to receive notification after the hearing is complete.  Spoke with my lawyers office and they told me it usually takes between 2 to 6 months to get the letter.

When log on to My Social Security and check the status is states:  "Processing  ---  Appeal Under Review".

Do they not understand the stress they continue to put me through?   Such an exhaustive process...

None of this is easy. That’s intentional I’m sure. Just hang in there and breathe.

I hope you get an approval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me to.  Just don't understand what there is to review.  Crap it took 38 months to get 2 hearings and a Judge to recommend approval.

alaskabear99687 said:
 I have called SSDI and they told me to not even apply until Ive been unemployed for one year.

That's bullshit. I think I was out of work for 6-7 mths when I decided I needed to look into it. 
I got my SSDI within a year and a half after starting the process. Do not use an attorney! Some of them require $$ up front.
I was referred to Allsup by a friend (they go by referrels) and I was extremely happy and impressed. 
I didn't have to do anything other than provide them all my doctors' names, phone numbers, dates of visit (a good approximation is ok) and account numbers. I made a few calls, got what I needed, sent it to them, and that was IT. 
They were so much more efficient than I realized. Not until I've heard how long so many people have had to wait by uising an attorney have I realized just how lucky I was to be referred to them. 
They didn't collect from me until by case was won. I think my cost came out to about $6,000 but it was taken from the back-pay so I never felt it. The hardest part was waiting and trying to figure out how to pay my bills. That was the most stressful part!
My memory isn't what it used to be, but I guess I may have waited 2 yrs to get Medicare. I didn't pay close attention since I had incredible coverage from the company I had to take early retirement from. 
If you want to use my name should you decide to call Allsup you can say Rosie Martinez from Helotes, TX
Go to Allsup.com and do an assessment. They won't waste your time. But if you don't have medical documentation because you haven't been seeing the doctor regularly that would make it difficult for them to present a case.
Best Wishes!

GotOldEarly said:
 Spoke with my lawyers office and they told me it usually takes between 2 to 6 months to get the letter.

I don't remember how long it took for me to get the letter, but screw the letter. You want and need your money.
When  I was told I was approved I think I had my $ within a couple/three months.
The problem with the back-pay is that sometimes it's already obligated elsewhere. 
Get your money, buy what you need to get on the road, and make small monthly payments on anything left owing.
Had I known about this lifestyle back when I got my "big" check I would have invested in a van and travel trailer.
But instead I paid bills :(

Latest posts