Finally back...man has it been a time.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markw

Reaction score
Finally back...though most may not remember me...it's been a few years.

Life majorly got in the way on my way to the road.  Without going into too much boring detail, I've lost the truck and now have to start again from scratch.

The current situation:

I'm back in the homeless shelter and about a week and a half ago I was approved for Social Security disability (should get my award letter in a few weeks).

My current plan is to get a van (haven't decided between full size or mini...I suppose pricing will decide for me), build it out including replacing certain parts whether they appear to need it or not (brakes, alternator, shocks, vehicle battery...maybe the water and fuel pumps...and, of course, spark plugs, belts etc).

However I have a couple of questions.

I definitely need a computer...which will more than likely be a laptop with a good size screen (probably a 17 inch).   This is where one of the questions comes in. 

I know quite a bit about computers and getting one with would be a snap if I was plugging it into the wall in an apartment...however this will obviously not be the case.  My needs for the laptop are: all the usual stuff (web browsing video streaming etc) and some gaming (not ghost recon, call of duty type stuff...think closer to Sim City, Prison Architect and Kerbal Space Program).  My question is, how difficult would that be to do on a nomad power system?

Of course there will be all the usual stuff as well (phone charging, fridge, lights etc).

My other question has to do with batteries.  I am leaning toward a lithium set up and need recommendations on brand, type etc.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

LiFePo4 is now reasonable, but it is an evolving market with all the risks. You can currently get 200 mostly useable amp hours for $800 from a cheaper vendor. A little bit less if you go a self build from China, a bit more for a more reputable brand. For US availability people are liking Ampere Time and SOK at the moment. The 24v panels are the best price per watt, SanTan in Phoenix is a good vendor, anyplace you can pick up directly without delivery will be a big bonus. You'll also need doodads like a charge controller, cables, etc. A small to mid size power station might well fit into that mix, including backup.

What's driving the need for a computer? if there's no work requirement (which would probably violate your disability qualifying), a good smart phone will do what most people need. i have a Samsung S8+. Bought used off ebay for $112. Does everything non-work I need

Markw quote
...I definitely need a computer...which will more than likely be a laptop with a good size screen (probably a 17 inch)....

Hello & welcome (back) to the forum!

It is affordable to do everything on a smartphone. Visible company has discounted used phones and cheap plans with unlimited data. Yes it really is unlimited. There is also an option to share with other visible users for cheaper pricing.

If you need a big screen for gaming you could use the hot spot from your phone for the connection.

Also vans are more high profile for getting hassled, you might consider a vehicle that blends in like a used prius.
-crofter

Matvei:

A smartphone won't run the games I play...and researching is annoying on a cell phone (which is what most of the web browsing will be).

Crofter:

I am actually more concerned with power than connection.  Connection can be handled easily... but without power connection makes no difference.  I'm kind of just wanting to make sure I'm not setting myself up for a monster of a power system.