Filter, Tap or Buy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SierraCamper

Reaction score
A bit different discussion then the other ongoing gray water discussion.

We use two 2.5 gallon water containers filled with either store bought water or Reverse Osmosis water. Our thought is that our little sink will be mainly used for just filling our water bottles and this way we can always fill them with good drinking water. The occasional washing hands and brushing teeth would not use much of our drinking water. I am not sure this is the best setup.

Do others prefer to use a gravity type filter like the highly rated Zero Water Filter and then just store tap water in their vehicle? (ie. carrying say a 5 gal water jug or two) This seems to be a better idea then our setup as I have to keep filling the jugs with store bought water when on the road. Maybe some other ideas that folks use? Would love to hear from others what you use. Please mention if you are full time or just part time vanliving.

Last edited:
5 gallons isn't much water at all, especially for more than one person. It's good for drinking for a couple days but if you need to wash anything you will run out very quickly. Do you have room to store more water in larger containers or do you use the 2.5 gallon containers because of weight?

Thank you Frood. We do carry another 7 gallons in a separate container with tap water. We typically are not on the road for more then a few weeks. I went with the smaller 2.5 gallon containers as they fit great in the side door opening of our van. I have shoulder issues and thus the lighter containers are easy to manage. We also stay at campsites that most have water available to us.

Thank you,

Latest posts