Filmmaker converts cargo van into modern live-work space on wheels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is visually pretty and very serene for sure. Making the flip-out windows into chalk boards seems interesting, but I immediately thought of how it could be horrible in certain places to have no screens for the windows. I like the flip-up metal top over the stove.

Yes, a few interesting mods. The no screen windows would definitely have to be a bug free time of year ; ).

I saw that article the other day and I love the clean, bright look of his van - when the window are open. I've never seen a van with pop-out window panels like that.
He has screens for the windows, by the way. The openings are rimmed with velcro.

mayble said:
I saw that article the other day and I love the clean, bright look of his van - when the window are open.  I've never seen a van with pop-out window panels like that.
He has screens for the windows, by the way.  The openings are rimmed with velcro.

Chevy offered it as an option on the Express/Savanah called the "Contractors Access Package. It's spectacular! I have a friend who searched he entire country for 6 months looking for one with the flip-out windows and AWD, when he finally found one, he jumped on a place and grabbed it quick!!

When he drove it back for KC to CA it was empty and he got 20 mpg on the road! He's since added a small lift and bigger tires.

Best van I've ever seen!! 
Bob

I have a friend who plumbs out of one. It is a great van - seems almost a waste to use it for work when it could make such a great mobile abode!

That is a beautiful van! He has some mad skills.

I sure hope he has some special insurance for his RV conversion, because if not and some idiot without insurance causes him to wreck it, the insurance company won't pay a fraction of what it cost just for materials, let alone the hundreds of labor hours involved in designing and creating his dream machine. At least he has his website to document his labor of love, if needed.

I built a Velcro attached screed door for my Aliner, but I never use it. I find that if the climate and weather is pretty enough to leave my door open there are few bugs, but if it's hot and muggy and there are plenty of bugs, I button up and run my AC. If it is cold I run my heat and leave my screened windows cracked or opened as needed. Anything in between I can open my 2 ceiling vents and windows, putting up or removing Velcro attached Reflectix over my windows as needed for both temp control and privacy. The Reflectix effectively keeps the heat in as well as out too. He could employ similar strategies to regulate the temp. if he didn't have the stylish chalk boards over his windows. Plus his van has the added advantage of massive flow through ventilation by opening both side and rear doors, something my Aliner does not have.

Chip

Very nice , but I wonder where the 8,000 is. Perhaps he hired a carpenter to do it for him. Still ,I love looking at pictures of conversions with artistic thought put into them.