Fictitious Decal on cargo van? for stealth

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can't hide. Someone will see you. Strange van with some kind of phony logo? Are they here to rob someone? Call the cops.

People keep assuming that van owners would park right in front of a house... why not park right in between two houses? I never care or give it a second thought as long as a vehicle isn't directly in front of my house. A van may look more conspicuous... but if it was gone the next day, it would be deleted from my ram.

1. NOT parking in residential areas in front of houses is the first and most basic rule of "stealth". 
2. any decal or sticker or whatever that can be noticed and easily remembered, reduces your stealth

Electrolight said:
 . . . I never care or give it a second thought as long as a vehicle isn't directly in front of my house. 

It totally depends on the experience of the neighborhood.  One might not notice, another notice but not care, another may ask you to leave, another my be ticket and tow.  You don't know.

-- Spiff

First post! I am transitioning into a full timer in the next month, so I have 0 credibility but this made me think:

If you wanted to test out the idea, there are websites you can make any sized magnet that you can put on your vehicle/trailer pretty cheap. In that case you could have a few different ones for specific situations if you wanted to get creative. Maybe even copy actual logos for local businesses/megachurch/city vehicles if you were in the area for a while. This way you could take them off and go into national parks and go incognito. I live in the same town as Jerry Falwell's school Liberty. It is such a huge school and they have vehicles all over town. If I saw one parked around the campus or church affiliated with it, I wouldn't think twice. I think I would rather keep a low profile but it is a fun idea to consider.

Just that if you get done for anything dodgy, the fraud aspect would likely go against you.

Camouflage is to blend into ones surroundings. Best winter cam in the world won't blend into a dessert theater. Apply same rules here white unmarked vans are everywhere. Surveillance vans are usually white or if your agency has tech in mind for year end budget splurges a Black MB Sprinter. LOL! They only have Dicks plumbing in the movies in my experience for the reasons listed above. Many cop cars have flir cameras now so they is going to know what is happening when they run the plate. Plus an out of state "plumbing" truck may gather more eyes because he is poaching customers.

Electrolight said:
 I never care or give it a second thought as long as a vehicle isn't directly in front of my house.

Even when I lived in an apartment complex, I generally had a feel for who drove what vehicle.  If I saw a van I didn't recognize, I started keeping an eye on it.  

I think most of the population is somewhere between my "ultra-awareness" and your "never ... give it a second thought".... BUT, it just takes one or two people like me to start watching who's there.  

Even in the most peaceful suburban neighborhoods , bad s*t happens.  I've been aware of my surroundings since at least before 9/11.  

My $0.02

Regards,

Pat

Around here i see allot of trucks with " Contractor for Verizon" or "Contractor for Cox" signs on them. All the telecommunications companies are subcontracting their work and most of the trucks have out of state plates because they are based in other states. People don't give them a second glance because they're always doing some kind of work around here.