Feeling discouraged (angry, actually)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnyslife

Reaction score
I bought my van a month ago - my husband, whom I am separated from, was suppose to go with me to bring it home and he is suppose to fix it, (put a new serpentine belt and tensioner pulley on it). I don't have the money to spare for a mechanic due to being on a fixed income and wanting to do the build. Now, he is telling me next weekend - :mad: :mad: grrrrrrrr - I wanted to be done with the build and be at the AEP ReCreation campground already........thank you - I just needed to vent.

On another note - I look forward to meeting some of you soon. ;)

sunnyslife said:
I bought my van a month ago - my husband, whom I am separated from, was suppose to go with me to bring it home and he is suppose to fix it, (put a new serpentine belt and tensioner pulley on it). I don't have the money to spare for a mechanic due to being on a fixed income and wanting to do the build. Now, he is telling me next weekend - :mad:  :mad:  grrrrrrrr - I wanted to be done with the build and be at the AEP ReCreation campground already........thank you - I just needed to vent.

On another note - I look forward to meeting some of you soon.  ;)

Hang in there - I know it's hard!

Y'all don't want to get me started on undependable ex's!  :D Just remember that once this is done and you're on the road, he'll be expendable!

Any chance of finding someone else that can lend a hand?

Dang! :mad: Sorry you're dealing with that. I can relate in a way---I was supposed to have help right now for 4 days that was supposed to have happened already before the season changed and added more to the list of things I need help with since I can't do everything myself, and yet again it fell through. :( If I could afford help it would be different.

I hope that things are resolved for you quickly so that you can get where you want to be soon. :)

Don't ever think you can depend on anyone [other than God]. Unless you can be financially self-sufficient you are going to be at someone else's mercy and that's not a fun place to be. Borrow the $ if you have to, get a part-time job if you must, but get it done by a professional and pay for it yourself. You'll feel a lot better about it. Hang in there!

I think mockturtle gave you excellent advice.

A bit off topic, but are you talking about the old Ohio Power land in southeastern Ohio? My family camped there years and years ago...I have great memories of that place. Maybe I need to go again after all of this time...

If you lean on others, expect to deal with work done on their schedule. Especially an ex. I still owe mine some milled wood for art frames...

Take a few deep breaths. This, too, shall pass. Better days are coming.

Other options:

Spend build $ on mechanic & save for build. Just do very bare essentials now.

Do build now while waiting on ex to help you with van.

It's normal to get discouraged or angry when things don't go as planned. I do it too but then I try to remember to remind myself that it doesn't do much good to waste the energy on those emotions. Find a solution or accept the reality.

Remember, he is your EX. You are now lower on his priority list. It's nice he's offering to help you. Free help always has a price, even if it's not monetary.

I hope you find a solution that you are OK with. This is the start of the rest of your life. A week is undoubtedly not going to make a big difference in the whole scheme of things.

I started my build about 1 1/2 years ago. Now I find I need something that can deal with my lifestyle. So I start again.

Life goes on, if you take a breath when it does not happen when you need it to, you find out that it was more of a want. My needs have become wants, and my wants are becoming less every day. Do you have access to tools?

mockturtle said:
Don't ever think you can depend on anyone [other than God].  Unless you can be financially self-sufficient you are going to be at someone else's mercy and that's not a fun place to be.  Borrow the $ if you have to, get a part-time job if you must, but get it done by a professional and pay for it yourself.  You'll feel a lot better about it.  Hang in there!

Believe me, I would love to get a job and be 100% self-supportive again as I really, really miss those days but, I am disabled now.

Barbara

my_vantasy said:
I think mockturtle gave you excellent advice.

A bit off topic, but are you talking about the old Ohio Power land in southeastern Ohio?  My family camped there years and years ago...I have great memories of that place.  Maybe I need to go again after all of this time...

Yes, that's exactly where I am talking about. I have not been there yet but, I love Marietta as well as Hocking Hills so I plan to bounce between the two while saving the money I will need to transition to the west where the weather, I hear, is more conducive to my health.

cyndi said:
Take a few deep breaths. This, too, shall pass. Better days are coming.

I truly do believe this - just needed to get my frustration off my chest. :)

Venting is good sometimes. :) Is that the Wayne National Forest area? I thought Shawnee was national too and it shows up on one of the map programs that way, but in looking for it I found it to be a state forest. :( It is pretty out that way. Hope you get out there as quickly as is possible for you. :)

Perhaps you can speed up your volunteer help by offering to do some chore that he needs doing in return?

anewbiewannabe said:
Venting is good sometimes. :) Is that the Wayne National Forest area?  I thought Shawnee was national too and it shows up on one of the map programs that way, but in looking for it I found it to be a state forest. :(  It is pretty out that way. Hope you get out there as quickly as is possible for you. :)

I will have to check the map again as I'm not sure if it is part of WNF. My husband and I use to take the kids to Hocking Hills and I love the southern part of Ohio so I am sure I will feel right at home at the ReCreation land.

I hope things work out as well for you as they did for me. My mechanic didn't show up, and I was just fabric, but it turned out to be the best thing that could have happened. I took my rv into the shop and they found a pretty serious issue that my mechanic wouldn't have even checked. Didn't cost that much because they caught it when they did. I do know how frustrating it is to rely on other people. It makes me crazy. Best of luck to you.

I hope today is a better day, Sunny!

Sorry you are going through this, I know it can be frustrating. Vent all you want, I'm sure many here can understand, and it's good to get it off your chest sometimes. When I was having to wait 3 weeks for tinting to get finished I was beyond anxious and frustrated, and spent my days researching and reading about others adventures and builds (not sure if it helped or aggravated me even more, haha), so I can understand. Then I had to wait an additional two more weeks for the very late title to get here, and with an expired paper tag, it sat in the driveway. All this to say, yes... as a previous poster put it, This, too, shall pass.

Hang in there!! :)

changing out a serpentine belt isn't all that hard to do.
Why not change it for yourself?? A chance to learn something new, and a way to show yourself that you too can do this! :)

All the best!