Fear - how do you handle?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Id suggest that is incorrect, based on history, and numerous law enforcement people stating otherwise based on their experience and dealing with situations after the fact.
Can you link to the information you are referencing? There are many studies available that show the exact opposite... even though gun ownership is very high in the US, they are used for defense in less than 1% of reported victim incidents, and the user is more likely to be injured if the gun is pulled. Plus, due to the perception of threat being much higher than actual threats, many people believe their gun is deterring a threat when there actually isn't one.

dgu-study-02-768x722.png

Yeah, for me I feel better to have a cell signal, but don't always have that. I do carry pepper spray, bear spray, and a small air horn that's really loud. I guess I could use any one of those. Situational awareness, spidey-senses if those are a thing. It's nice to be in proximity to other people in a dispersed area. Van Campin' Woody on YT shows in his live stream this past week the solar lights that have motion sensors - 3 x $30 or so. They at least bring peace of mind.

You got that right. Rock climbing accidents that result in death are very rare. Back country skiers are mostly wiped out by ignorance and avalanches. In both these cases it's the mind that protects you. The rock climber is using a rope strong enough to hall a Jeep up the face. It almost always includes a person on the other end that deals with falls if they occur. You can take courses in avalanche awareness and test open snow fields for likely danger before ever adventuring out on them. Knowledge and skills can help you "relax your mind." You can also take drugs for that, lose all sense of fear, and become a living crash test dummy. Nobody goes to Yosemite to climb a difficult large wall, resulting in needing a rescue, with only one or two beginner climbs under their belts. It all starts out at the beginning with simple top roped practice climbs. These day there are climbing shops with climbing walls set up like a gymnasium. The same goes for camping out alone in the wilderness. The point is don't be bear & mountain lion food. Don't camp where other people have been preyed upon for being too close in to large populations. There are obvious dangers in this world. Find a way to actually mitigate that reality. One is to be a danger to obvious predators. If they want in then finish them off. Self protection is still a right. Would you like to meet up with a rapist with a 12 gauge shotgun in your hands or a sign with a happy face on it? Everyone has their own sense of survival. If someone wants to break into your car you need to know your limitations, skills, and preparedness. It is the assailant that needs to be in fear, not you. There is also surrender. You can go happily and die knowing that you don't mind being killed by a stranger. I recommend a gut level scream as the knife goes in. Just say goodbye and so long. I won't be seeing you down the road.

Does that sound harsh? All fear will do is make you freeze up. You will forget your skills if you have any.

So you can / would do what the men on the I beam below are doing?
You are the brightest, bravest intellect posting in the Nomad world today 😇

Anyone who rock climbs would be very comfortable doing that kind of work. It isn't really dangerous.

Back in the day they didn't use harnesses, though...

One-Of-The-Most-Iconic-Photos-In-History-Was-Actually-Staged-1200x720.jpg

THIS....is not dangerous?

Dear God......
Please tell me that's photchopped.

if not.....
Look at the guy at the far Left. What is he doing? Snorting "confidence".

Seriously.......
My hat's off to people who can do that.

Call me chicken. call me what ever you like, but no way on God's Earth could I go out on that I beam. Not with 20 harnesses.

I see Tom Cruise doing a lot of his own stunts.
I admire him for his courage. That stunt outside the building in Dubai was amazing.

So you can / would do what the men on the I beam below are doing?
You are the brightest, bravest intellect posting in the Nomad world today 😇
LOL, I actually did. Yes, to almost everyone on the planet, that was stupid. I did one last season of free soloing without any equipment other than shoes and a chalk bag. That last one went way wrong & cured me. I stopped rock climbing after that one. I climbed a thin finger crack that looked like it went all the way to the top from the ground. It didn't. I finished up on about 20ft of blank granite high enough to kill me. I guess I became smarter at that point. LOL Now I'm a genius. :cool:

Seriously.......
My hat's off to people who can do that.
Did you think that "relax your mind" was just a flippant axiomatic catch all breath of encouragement meant for getting suckers out on the beam? It has teeth. It makes the difference.

Dear God......
Please tell me that's photchopped.
It was a staged publicity photo for the Rockefeller Center, which is what they were building... but they really are a bunch of random workers sitting on a beam that high off the ground.

Thank You everyone for your thoughts and suggestions I am sometimes a fearful person and have once or twice let it get the best of me. Other times I have trusted that gut feeling and just moved on. Always good things to remember and think about. I also am a believer in Murphy's Law. If you carry an Umbrella, it won't rain sort of thing. If you are prepared and have a plan you will be less likely to need it. Or at the least be ready if you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.