Fan tastic fans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where~the~wind~blows

Reaction score
In shopping for a fantastic fan, I have found there are different models, can anybody give light on which ones are better? I Live in the northeast and have all four seasons to deal with. I do plan on traveling south from time to time.... if that helps ,thanks much

PS I should add that this is for a 1997 150 ford econoline conversion with high top

the one with the rain sensor that closes the vent is the one I have...works great.....the fan blade on them is rather cheap tho....they get brittle

I have the low-tech rain sensor. I look at the sky and check the weather report. ;)

Mine has a 3-speed fan and a thermostat. I've only used one speed because the low setting is sufficient and the faster settings are too loud. I never use the thermostat because it's not marked for degrees and I don't want to take the time figuring out what shade of blue or red corresponds to what temperature.

The way they designed the opening/closing lever, the lid rattles in the breeze when partly open. Besides the noise it makes, I worry that this flopping around will lead to hinge breakage or the lid cracking.

Sometimes it's just easier to roll down a window and crack open a door for cross-ventilation.

MrNoodly said:
I have the low-tech rain sensor. I look at the sky and check the weather report. ;)

Mine has a 3-speed fan and a thermostat. I've only used one speed because the low setting is sufficient and the faster settings are too loud. I never use the thermostat because it's not marked for degrees and I don't want to take the time figuring out what shade of blue or red corresponds to what temperature.

The way they designed the opening/closing lever, the lid rattles in the breeze when partly open. Besides the noise it makes, I worry that this flopping around will lead to hinge breakage or the lid cracking.

Sometimes it's just easier to roll down a window and crack open a door for cross-ventilation.

If it was just me I would do that but I have dogs and they are my top priority

Lucky mike said:
the one with the rain sensor that closes the vent is the one I have...works great.....the fan blade on them is rather cheap tho....they get brittle

Thanks I will look into that model...

I have the one with the rain sensor also. Works great. Fantastic Fan also has great customer service. My van was 7 years old when I bought it. The arm that raises the lid on the fan broke where it attaches to the gear on the motor. I called and requested that part. They sent it and another motor.....for free. Couldn't believe it. :D

We don't have the rain sensor but we do have the thermostat and the ability to reverse the direction that the blades turn. We use the thermostat if it's hot when we go to bed. As the night cools the fan shuts off - works very well. We reverse the direction depending on whether we want a breeze blowing on us or whether we want the hot air pulled out.

Mine has the thermostat and rain-sensor, too. I love it. They also offer one with a remote which I think would be very useful when you're in bed. The company is exceptional in it's customer service and will often send you free parts.

The last I'd heard, the company had new owner's and had changed their policy about free parts replacements. Someone on one of the RV forums had posted up a recent experience in trying to get parts for an older fan.

I just put a model 4000 Fantastic Fan in my camper a few months ago. Works well, but does seem a little loud at times.

Greetings!

If you can, get the hood too, which is sold separately, this will allow you to keep it open when it's raining, or while driving.

Your dogs will appreciate it!

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

If you look at RV repair places, they take parts off vehicles they are working on for upgrades, changes, etc. I live in Maryland and got a used fan tastic fans with fan for $10 each and the Maxx air covers for $5 each 1 month ago in Pennsylvania. However, the more I think about it, it may be more stealth to just get a minivan with a model of a Sunroof/ moonroof.
The Toyota SE comes with two Moonroofs. What do you all think of that as my air vent if I have some kind of screen cover, if needed?

Belinda2 said:
If you look at RV repair places, they take parts off vehicles they are working on for upgrades, changes, etc. I live in Maryland and got a used fan tastic fans with fan for $10 each and the Maxx air covers for $5 each 1 month ago in Pennsylvania. However, the more I think about it, it may be more stealth to just get a minivan with a model of a Sunroof/ moonroof.
The Toyota SE comes with two Moonroofs. What do you all think of that as my air vent if I have some kind of screen cover, if needed?

I have dogs so stealth isn't really my concern... because they bark at people coming near the van.... I would prefer to get the fan new but I appreciate the info on used parts, the cover I wouldn't care if it was used though...

The CamperVan_Man said:
Greetings!

If you can, get the hood too, which is sold separately, this will allow you to keep it open when it's raining, or while driving.

Your dogs will appreciate it!

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

Thank you for this that was going to be my next question, now I need suggestions on where to mount the unit, as I am also going to be adding solar panels and a roof top ac/heater

If stealth isn't an issue be sure to get the vent cover. I open mine in the spring and don't close it again until fall. Never worry about rain, wind or driving speeds tearing off the cover. The covers also get brittle in the sun and crack and it protects it from that as well.

An inside fan will triple the usefulness of the overhead fan. FF makes the same fan in a portable housing called the Endless Breeze. I have one. Highly recommended! But they are expensive. So I suggest a RoadPro fan from any truck stop or Amazon.com.
Bob

akrvbob said:
If stealth isn't an issue be sure to get the vent cover. I open mine in the spring and don't close it again until fall. Never worry about rain, wind or driving speeds tearing off the cover. The covers also get brittle in the sun and crack and it protects it from that as well.

An inside fan will triple the usefulness of the overhead fan. FF makes the same fan in a portable housing called the Endless Breeze. I have one. Highly recommended! But they are expensive. So I suggest a RoadPro fan from any truck stop or Amazon.com.
Bob

Thank you for that! Looked up both suggestions, the road pro is fairly cheap, the endless breeze is a bit more but not to bad...and looks like a nice fan

Greetings!

The 02Cool 12v fans at Walmart work well and are inexpensive as well. I have both an Endless Breeze and a 3 way 02Cool, and like both of them. The 02Cool has a magnetic base that can be handy for positioning options, as well as hanging or tabletop options. Not quite a powerful as the Endless Breeze but can fit where it won't.

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

That 02Cool fan looks interesting. Do you know the current draw on high medium.low?

My Internal fans are still computer muffin fans, but kind of ridiculously powerful ones.

I attach them to a 10 inch gooseneck which is attached to a 2 inch spring clamp, and power it with a multivoltage adapter.

On 12 volts they scream but they are nearly silent on 3 volts

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-Tornad...6321417&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=vantech+tornado

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-TD9238...6321487&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=vantech+tornado

I have both the 80 and 92mm fans. I like the 80mm better, the 92mm does not really move that much more air.

They do move dense narrow columns of air across the Van, and with the clamp I can locate them pretty much anywhere. The speed control is a necessity. I usually use it on 6 or 7.5 volts. 12 volts moves an incredible amount of air.

5340a9b4.jpg

That is an old photo. that voltage controller failed. I am now using this Voltage controller and like it better as I did not need to modify the selector switch. but the design of the part which fits in the ciggy receptacle is poor. I fixed mine by some appropriate sized heat shrink tubing to prevent it from shorting itself in the receptacle.
http://www.amazon.com/PowerLine-Uni...bs_auto_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ET1AX9S8F5VGF238CDZ

I have a better Speed controller which I will use when I make a more permanently mounted tornado fan on a gooseneck.
http://www.amazon.com/Converter-12V...322040&sr=1-1&keywords=motor+speed+controller

This 25 khz pwm controller does not cause the fan to whine. I have a 15 khz controller which does cause a noticeable whine.

The powerline voltage controller has no whine.

Where~the~wind~blows said:
Thank you for that! Looked up both suggestions, the road pro is fairly cheap, the endless breeze is a bit more but not to bad...and looks like a nice fan

I'm fixing up my first van now and bought both the Fantastic Fan and the Road Pro units. Not having had the luxury of using them in the field, I can say the Fantastic Fan appears to be of much higher quality and well worth the extra $$. Wish I'd bought two of them instead of the Road Pro.

That said, I will defer to those who have used both units and have first hand experience.

Where~the~wind~blows said:

I'm fixing up my first van now and bought both the Fantastic Fan and the Road Pro units. Not having had the luxury of using them in the field, I can say the Fantastic Fan appears to be of much higher quality and well worth the extra $$. Wish I'd bought two of them instead of the Road Pro.

That said, I will defer to those who have used both units and have first hand experience.

The O2 Cool fans are sold under many brand names and in many configurations. They have become so popular that they are becoming hard to find. Walmart used to have them all the time and now they sell out quick. If you look at the Ozark Trail models that Wal Mart sells they appear to be identical and I believe they are the same fan just re-branded.

My Roadpro looks exactly like the O2 Cool and I believe it is the same fan just re-branded. But they are almost always in stock at truck stops ad Amazon, that's why I recommend them instead of the O2 Cool because you can find them.
Bob

is the 6000 worth the extra 100.00 over the 5000? and does the location of the fan make a difference?

Glad in a way to hear mine isn't the only fan that rattles...it flops up and down a few inches in wind and i worry its gonna ripoff one of these times. I hope not i never wanna deal with ripping it out of my roof lol

The fan itself is amazing air movemnt for draw

Mine rattles too. Guess they are just made that way. No problems so far, however, since I don't have a cover, I don't keep it open when driving.

As far as location: if you have one that has the reverse flow, it will pull air through any open windows. So I guess it would be a matter of preference for your set-up. Do you want it located over your bed to blow air on you at night, or do you want it located to pull air through open windows.

Mine is located at the front of the van, however, that is where the stove and bathroom are so it can be used to vent moisture out. But it also pulls air through the windows at the back when they are open. I use mine on the reverse flow all of the time so that it pulls fresh air throughout the van and sucks the heat out through the vent. It is amazing how much cooler the interior is during Texas summers.