Fan Shroud

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can someone tell me how important it is to have your fan shroud mounted...I have a 1994 Dodge Ram B250 conversion van and  the bottom part of the shroud came apart (it was only connected to the top shroud with a piece of wire ,someone at one time never put the bolts back in.) As I was traveling from Fresno to Eureka Ca. the shroud disconnected from the top part and hit the fan,broke a piece off(Shroud) and hit my radiator, Punctured a hole and left me stranded on Hwy 20 west..No cell service to boot. long story but the guy that put the new radiator in told me I don't need that bottom fan shroud.Just looking for opinions on this..I was told to keep an eye on the hose since no bottom shroud, I'm so confused and not inclined to understand anything machine ?

The fan shroud not only makes the fan more efficient at pulling air thru the radiator but keeps debris from getting in the fan causing damage like you had before. I would get it replaced.

if you are in high temps a fan shroud is very important, especially if you are traveling slowly. the shroud directs the suction created by the fan to go through the radiator. without a shroud the suction of the fan will simply take the path of least resistance which is not through the radiator. get a replacement shroud. the guy that told you that you don't need one is smoking crack. highdesertranger

just noticed, go to the "Newcomers Corner" and give us an intro so we can give you an official welcome

Local junkyard as they might even have someone to put it on for you if you ask.

Latest posts