Extended Stays

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longing4nature

Reaction score
This fall I will be a full-time car dweller by default after having no experience with camping in my past.  I find it all so overwhelming and scary.  I don't want to do a whole lot of driving at first since I have a lease vehicle for the next year.  Can anyone here tell me where there are inexpensive campgrounds to stay for a long period of time?  I know of Coyote Howls.  I have never been there but plan to try it out first.  Any places in California, Nevada, Oregon and Washington state?  

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Free boondocking (BLM, national forests, etc) typically has a 14-day limit at any given location.  Tons of free camping in NV.   Some forest land in Washington/Oregon -- hopefully more experienced 'dwellers will chime in.  Check out freecampsites.net.

There are, however, Long Term Visitor Areas (LTVA) which are inexpensive and allow much longer stays.  If you're looking to camp now check out the Summer LVTAs part of the above link.

Commercial campsites will probably let you stay as long as you pay them..  :)

Let me encourage you by saying that camping isn't scary but does require a bit of planning.  I'd do some short camping near wherever you are now so you can work out the bugs close to your existing resources.

longing4nature said:
I am currently in Prescott, Az.  I wanted to head up to the Northwest but thinking of staying in Az now.  Ugh.  So many decisions to make and I keep changing my mind. 

frater secessus said:
Free boondocking (BLM, national forests, etc) typically has a 14-day limit at any given location.  Tons of free camping in NV.   Some forest land in Washington/Oregon -- hopefully more experienced 'dwellers will chime in.  Check out freecampsites.net.

There are, however, Long Term Visitor Areas (LTVA) which are inexpensive and allow much longer stays.  If you're looking to camp now check out the Summer LVTAs part of the above link.

Commercial  campsites will probably let you stay as long as you pay them..  :)

Let me encourage you by saying that camping isn't scary but does require a bit of planning.  I'd do some short camping near wherever you are now so you can work out the bugs close to your existing resources.
Thank you.  I was thinking the same......making some short camping trips soon.

Since you are in Prescott, start up on Mingus Mountain. Nice camping up there. You can stay for 2 weeks. A year or so ago, there was a lightning strike which took out the power system in the campground. If the power is still fubar in the campground, the rates are reduced. there is a bath house.

ZoNiE said:
Since you are in Prescott, start up on Mingus Mountain. Nice camping up there. You can stay for 2 weeks. A year or so ago, there was a lightning strike which took out the power system in the campground. If the power is still fubar in the campground, the rates are reduced. there is a bath house.

Thanks, I'll check it out.