Everything on hold for this Wanna-be Nomad

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G0ldengirl68

Reaction score
had to call ambulance for the first time in my life, up camping. Doug & Paulette helped me as i had the whole, left side of my body go numb. I was so scared. So EMTs came first, they were nearby (36 miles up river is where we were in dispersed camping) then ambulance. I had 2 CAT scans an EKG, and xrays but they found nothing. I have to get an MRI this week, they'll call when I can come in. Still numb in arm and upper leg today  Numbness started to subside a bit after 14 hours yesterday. Everything on hold of course now. Doug and Paulette were wonderful, they took care of Mimmie, loaded up my tent and all my crap, drove my truck back to Crescent City to my apartment. I was so grateful. Doug carried my whole cooler up with food so it wouldn't spoil. Denise PS friends like that are few and far between.

Yikes! Glad you were able to get help in time and had good friends to help with logistics. Hopefully you can get patched up soon and back to it. Take care!

OMG !!!  I hope they figure out what caused it & you get the right treatment & medication to prevent it from happening again !   Thank god you weren’t alone !  Doug & Paulette ARE saints  :heart: Blessings to you  :heart: :heart: :heart:

Take care Denise !!!! :heart:

Oh no! I'm so glad there was someone else with you! I hope you're better soon!

Dougs a good guy... he’s usually shirtless cause he’d give it to anyone in need. I only met him briefly. But I could tell. He was doing a project for someone at the time. Glad your a little better. I know how that is to have something so obvious and not get answers. By the way Doug, thanks for the shirt! Haha!

Thank you all, I just got off the phone with Radiology when I saw your replies.  The "doctor" who was heading up the the ER ordered an MRI for me this week.  So a nurse called me and asked me some questions like "have you had any surgeries".  Which, I was asked the same by him directly (THE "Doc'tore").  I told them all the same, I had my last pacemaker in back in 2014.  She then said "you have a pacemaker? "  Yes I do, this is my 3rd, and she said I can't have an MRI.  Sure glad she asked again.

Anyway, Doug and Paulette are blessings for sure.  I did have a chance to get to know them and had a good time visiting and having some laughs with them.  I had gotten there on Saturday so Mimmie and I really got to enjoy some neat moments, made some memories :heart:

So that’s it ??????   They aren’t going to investigate further to the CAUSE , or try to figure out what happened ??????

If it was stroke related you need treatment right away….

Well we're just now back to civilization..........and the internet

Glad you're feeling better.....Kudos to all who responded

Doctors can do a blood test to see if you had a heart attack, do you know if they can do one for a stroke? Glad you're feeling better and good luck with everything. Glad you weren't alone and had friends with you.

Sorry I missed seeing this on the third when it was first posted. Denise, how are you doing now?

When I get my van conversion done (still not started) I'd like to visit you. Did you ever find out what caused this? Glad they found out about the pacemaker before they did an MRI !!!

Is your travel plan on hold permanently or temporarily?

TravelingZombies said:
Doctors can do a blood test to see if you had a heart attack, do you know if they can do one for a stroke? Glad you're feeling better and good luck with everything. Glad you weren't alone and had friends with you.
They can tell if you've had a heart attack for just a short while apparently. My wife was shopping with a friend a few years ago and thought she might be having one, so they rushed to the local hospital. By the time they got there, she felt somewhat better, so they sat in the car until it had totally subsided. A couple of years after that she went in for something else, and during the exam the doc asked if she'd ever had a heart attack, so I told them about that incident, the doc was flabbergasted and told my wife to never do that again, and that had she gone in they could have done an enzyme test, but it was far to late to be able to tell at that point. An interesting side note is that they asked her when she'd had her stroke, and when she answered that she'd never had one they informed her that she had indeed had one.

Sorry to hear of the delay in your plans. I know exactly what that feels like. Hopefully you will be able to sort it all out. It took me almost 5 years to get through a string of medical delays but I did make it to full time and am enjoying it.

Just wanted to give an update and so appreciate so many replies, and well-wishes :) My left arm is the only part of me that hasn't lost the numbness, from upper arm area/shoulder, down to wrist, palm and one finger.  I'm exercising just by doing housework type things, as when I keep it moving, it seems to get better, but when I wake in the a.m it's all dead again.

No more tests ordered, and I have an upcoming appt. with a chiro (my idea) mid-September but trying to find another chiro with an opening before that.  They did an EKG as well at the ER, and they ruled out stroke, heart issue, and did a brain scan and a scan later that day of my lower diaphram stomach area.  I asked for that one because my spleen, or pancreas (or something about my lower left rib) is either enlarged, and has pain on occasion for over a year.  They never see anything, but I told them something is wrong because I can feel it every day of my life.

Frustrated just talking about it.  I have a pacemaker I think I mentioned, on my 3rd one since '97.  No meds needed, live a normal life, still active and no heart issues.  I'm pretty convinced this is a pinched nerve although there is no pain with the numbness/tingling.  I am just going one day at a time, hoping for the numbness to be gone.  I sent my MD the "story" but heard nothing from him.  I think what docs we do have are overwhelmed, and we have 13 new patients in hospital for Covid.

Thanks again for the responses, and I just don't know what to say some days, how I feel, or what I think.  Take care all, and I'll keep you posted on any news about "my issue" :huh: :-/ :rolleyes:

PS Forgot to mention the left side of my head is still numb as well, skull, and down to my ear and neck. Just felt it now, and it figures but my arm is more noticeable so I forgot. I don't think I mentioned that the my vaccines were not mentioned by anyone, except when asked when I arrived at ER. I had the Maderna, 2 shots, last one on June 2nd so that would be 2 months back from this all happening. I can't say the cause of this honestly, just wanted to add that to possibilities.

Wow...thanks for the update Denise  :heart:   Thankful it wasn't a stroke or heart issue !!!   Take good care of yourself  !!!!

I will Gypsy. I keep thinking of poor Doug trying to get in my tent after he got me settled into one of his outdoor chairs to wait for ambulance. My little dog was yapping her head off at him, wouldn't let him in to get her. I'm kind of giggling now, but he went through a lot to help me ;( Mostly with me worrying about this and that, control freak, that's what I am, not used to leaning on anyone. I think I see that in a lot of people as well, but I was told once to let folks help you, and remember how I feel when I help someone else, which is like a million dollars "good".

Doug and Paulette are great and an always be counted on.

Thanks for the update, as I’ve been concerned about you.

If you know it wasn’t a heart attack or a stroke, that is major.

A pinched nerve can be dealt with, and you’re working on that.

Good luck, and keep us posted here.

So glad you were not out by yourself somewhere, and these kinds of things are why I don’t do exactly that.