Everyone's out west.. Any Jersey Peeps?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know they exist here.. I see this big black box truck a lot at the library and stuff... I can't imagine a dweller having a totally big black truck like that though... and I've seen vans here and there, reflectix in windows and all.....
but I can't tell if they're actually full-timers... I've never had the nerve to say hi...

Seems to me that I've seen more dwellers in the NE this summer- saw a few from the Carolina's, and north- up this way trying to stay cool.
Older vans that are in good shape really stand out up here in Rust Central Vt.
Was surprised to find a couple camped in some of my favorite remote spots in VT and NH....

I'm close to your area, Abby. Just an old Piney kicking around in the sand.

A Piney! Seen the devil down there lately? ;) I was driving through there for the heck of it one day recently when I was working on my electric. Nice down there.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

The last time I had any business with JD was in spring of 1982. Disturbed the chickens, frightened the horses, and bent my pump rod. That was a bit south of here at Gravelly Run, NJ. I was operating another road side attraction.

One more here.  I actually split time between North and South Jersey; long story....I am way over due on a proper introduction and build thread but it is coming.  There was a meet up in NY not to long but I had to work.   Having one in the Pine Barrens would be awesome.

Adrian

I'm originally from PA, moved to FL about 20 years ago, and now travel around the country fulltime. Just spent some time in Plattsburg, Philly, and Trenton, and am currently in Baltimore. Working my way south for the winter.

When I lived in PA I did some hiking in the Pine Barrens. Never saw any Jersey Devil, or the Bigfoot which is also rumored to live there. I do see how lots of people get lost in there though--everything looks the same, and the pines are so thick you can't see far in any direction. I remember hearing a news story about one guy who stopped along a road to pee--and disappeared. From the footprints in the snow, it appeared that he walked into the woods a little ways to "go", then forgot what direction the road was, wandered around a bit, then set off in the wrong direction, deepr into the Barrens. His body was never found.

No big foot or other fake creatures are in the Pinelands. There are a lot of shoebies in the summer time and during deer season. They are the most dangerous. JD is an elusive fellow, but knows were the bodies are buried.
The state park at Batsto Village is one of the great places to meet for a day, but camping is always a problem. Permits are needed on state lands, and private camp grounds are expensive.

Not an Easterner but drove NJ long ago. If you know how to track and retrace your steps you'll never get lost, even in the Pine Barrens. Unless of course JD gets you!

its crazy expensive out here... Im hoping to gain the courage to just go to another state.. but there are sooooo many parking spots here.. Not sure Id have it so easy...

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I am traveling through Illinois right now, will be in Michigan tomorrow and will be in New Jersey in a few weeks and then I want to explore all of the states North of there and possibly Canada if anybody wants to meet up. Please let me know of some good places to go and some good boondocking spots. Thank you!

Primitive sites in Wharton State Park(Pine Barrons) are $3/night resident, $5/night non resident.  Buttonwood campground is near Batsto and across from a boat ramp on the Mullica River.  Atsion campground is somewhat close to a Walmart in Hammonton and a lake and river.  Bodine field and Godfrey Bridge border rivers and are a little more remote.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/wharton.html    I have stealth camped outside Island Beach State park a few times(no camping inside park) beautiful beach.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/island.html
Up north I have over-nighted at an access point for the Appalachian Trail.  PM me if you are looking for a specific location and I will try to help.

Remote camping in the Barrens will educate you in sugar sand driving. :) There are rangers at Atsion on State rt 206, and at Batsto on county rt 542. They are always glad to help find you a camp site. Plenty of water access in the cleanest area of the NE. Because of all the private property it can be hard to 'primitive' outside the state park's camping.

acfdexpo said:
One more here.  I actually split time between North and South Jersey; long story..

Stokes is a favorite of mine.. but I wanna do a tuneup before I go back up there again.
I got an Appalachian trail park spot.. but it was scary at night and I didn't stay... near the base of High Point...

YArmorAbby said:
Stokes is a favorite of mine.. but I wanna do a tuneup before I go back up there again.
I got an Appalachian trail park spot.. but it was scary at night and I didn't stay... near the base of High Point...

I plan on going to Stokes in either September or October for a couple days, haven't been there yet.  Two camping spots you may want to check out are Mahlon Dickerson Reservation and Stephens State park.   http://m66.siteground.biz/~morrispa/index.php/parks/mahlon-dickerson-reservation    http://www.njparksandforests.org/parks/stephens.html

Two "day use" spots that are really cool are Splitrock Resevior and Pyramid Mountian.  I have no recommendations on stealth spots in those areas since I live close by I have no reason to do so.  Was the Appalachian Trail spot scary because it was isolated and you just weren't use to it or was there something else I need to be aware of?