Estate Planning

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deborah

Reaction score
I have six generation family land that the state needs for a major annexation of my home town. I've not been able to deed in my name because I can't find a surveyor to survey my deceased fathers land. Long story short, I haved out of my van over 10 years due to the county blocking access resulting in theft and destruction of my county property.

I don't leave my home state and I keep the land taxes paid even though I can't go home.

I want to pay my funeral expenses but I don't know which funeral to chose. I don't know where I'll be. I'm 65 and have been trying to get the estate in order for over ten years.

I asked my attorney if it appears that the State is stalling me to death.

How do you handle planning your final expenses? Where will you send your body? Will there be anything for grandchildren? Etc.

I can't do a thing until the land is deeded in my name. I can't die until my estate affairs are in order making me feel anxious when I listen to estate planning videos because I can't proceed right now.

Thx for listening.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

You should use a lawyer to represent you,  and could have a lawyer and surveyor work on contingency if you can't afford to pay them. If you were the executor of your father's estate, you are the person responsible for settling the matter. If someone else is the executor, then settling the matter is their responsibility. Either way, it is a legal matter and I advise using a lawyer to represent your interests. 

It is possible that the state will get it anyway, but you want to be paid so you can move on.  My 2 cents.
-crofter

You really really need a good lawyer. Not a lawyer but a good one. This should not have gone on so long I can’t imagine the stress you’re under.

You should have an 'estate lawyer' and walk in and tell all and say I WANT SATISCTION thru legal means NOW.
that lawyer will do it.

sounds like somehow you are delaying the changes. A good estate lawyer will drag you thru the nose to your legal outcome....go do that now! Your rights somehow are being stamped on and your ignorance is booting it right there too so get professional estate lawyer help right now!

I fought the fight and lost it all even the taxes in one state if I remember right. It takes a toll and leaves scares. Ended up offering any family member that wanted something from it to take over. Spent money we didn't have trying to do the impossible. Left almost all of it and went traveling and found a better life. As one of my employees said once "Seen a lot of dead animals on the side of the road, never seen a person." There is a lot of living to do don't waste another 10 years worrying about the things you have no control over. Just my opinion.

sounds like an interesting dilemma. If you use a lawyer they're will be lots of fees. I'm not a lawyer but I do have over 30 years experience in unraveling difficult real estate situations. Be glad to talk with you, no charge, over the phone, to see what other possibilities you could try. PM me if interested. I don't bite.

Wow, your a patient person.
All the questions you have can be resolved by an "Elder Law Attorney". The fee they charge is based upon your net worth. So unless you have a large estate it's not expensive at all. If you find one that is stupid expensive, keep looking. Mine was $175 and that was in a town of 100K people, larger towns will be more. They are specialize in Estate Planning for the elderly, that's all they do and they know exactly what your options are.

My 2¢ as far as the land is concerned, go to the county courthouse and tell them you want to donate the land to them.
Let them work out the paperwork for your gift and sign nothing until your estate lawyer reads it and approves.
Also, let that county know in writing what your proposing and request a deadline of your choosing, say 90 days.
Again, talk to that lawyer first.

Watch out when seeing attorneys.  They can request an emergency order claiming gaurdianship without notice to you and make you a legal nonentity.

RoamerRV428 said:
You should have an 'estate lawyer' and walk in and tell all and say I WANT SATISCTION thru legal means NOW.
that lawyer will do it.

sounds like somehow you are delaying the changes. A good estate lawyer will drag you thru the nose to your legal outcome....go do that now! Your rights somehow are being stamped on and your ignorance is booting it right there too so get professional estate lawyer help right now!
I see what you're saying. Thank you. Sad to say, I have experience working with political corruption. I studied the political food chain and rather then sell for thousands, I can now sell at corporate value. But you're right. it's been a game of chess. The pressure is on now. Thank you.

SLB_SA said:
Watch out when seeing attorneys.  They can request an emergency order claiming gaurdianship without notice to you and make you a legal nonentity.
This statement struck me hard. I immediately phones my attorney and he said no one has offered that I be made a nonentity. He said he will not participate in any sort of action. Lol. Your info did a number on my blood pressure. :0)

Matlock said:
Estate Planning for the elderly, that's all they do and they know exactly what your options are".....

As an elder maybe but I represent our family estate. I'm administering for my heirs.

.....My 2¢ as far as the land is concerned, go to the county courthouse and tell them you want to donate the land to them.....

The city needs it for a major annexation. It will be the site of new jail and police hdq.

....Let them work out the paperwork for your gift and sign nothing until your estate lawyer reads it and approves.....

I'm administrator of the estate. Administrators don't do stuff like that.

....Also, let that county know in writing what your proposing and request a deadline of your choosing, say 90 days.
Again, talk to that lawyer first.....

Yep and I provided a proposal to my attorney when he asked me how much I want for it. That was a couple months ago. He is overseeing to get info to the right body. It's been slow as no attorney would represent me in my home county. Slow, I agree. Lol

Deborah said:
This statement struck me hard.  I immediately phones my attorney and he said no one has offered that I be made a nonentity.    He said he will not participate in any sort of action.  Lol.  Your info did a number on my blood pressure.  :0)

Did you view the video or just read my comment?  Did you ask your attorney about (the risks of) guardianship?

I ask about the video because it sounds (in the video) like the attorney that the 92 year old woman's son visited took down her information (name, address, etc) and filed an emergency motion within four days "in the son's name" (but without his permission). The 92 year old woman became a target and now has no legal standing or control over her life. Any contact with an attorney opens the possibility of this kind of abuse. The guardianship laws and procedures vary with the state and some are better than others.